Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Trip to Alaska

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2009, 01:03 AM
cubbear42
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up

You cannot sleep beside your bike down in the ship's belly, but you can set up a tent or sleep in the deck chairs that are on the Solarium deck (top deck).

Awwww, the wonderful memories and experiences... The comment above - I could never figure out how anyone would be able to set up a tent on the top deck of a ship... Guess what: They used 'duck tape' to tape the tent to the deck as 'pegs' could not be used...

And, no, you couldn't go down into the ship's belly near the vehicles unless it was during a stop...

What a fantastic trip - we rode 2-up on a 1998, 1200 Sportster from Palm Beach Gardens, Florida to Bellingham, Washington - catching the Inland Ferry (had reservations) for the 5-day cruise to Haines, Alaska...

We rode out of Alaska riding the Alcan Highway and whatever routes there were crossing from Canada back into the USA through Montana and back to Florida...

That was just one of our trips - if you have the chance to go, do it... Any route/way you decide to ride, you won't be disappointed... What an experience... We'll be back up that way again this year...

Remember to have your rain gear and/or warm clothes - just in case... Ya never know...

We have stories and pictures on our website http://triglide.multiply.com that go back the past number of years... Actually, it's our lifeonaharley site...

One album to click on would be from last year: Tour 2008 - many pictures from Canada; riding up the Alcan Highway; the wild animals alongside the highway (no fences) - click on 3rd page of albums - there are 3 albums (2003) of our trip mentioned above... I never labeled all the pictures... You'll see the ship; the wild animals; just everything - enjoy...

Last edited by cubbear42; 04-02-2009 at 01:20 AM. Reason: look at the albums
Old 04-02-2009, 05:04 AM
Bill-FXDF
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy A long white on white drive ........... ;-(

Morning. My son and I drove from North Dakota to Anchorage in Feb, 1992. I do not recommend that time of the year, Hours and Hours of gray and white plus it was colder than - well- North Dakota, and that can be real cold. Good Luck, it sounds like fun on a bike in the summer time !

Old 04-02-2009, 01:25 PM
desertclassic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Memories. We lived in AK thru the pipeline boom. 5 1/2 yrs in the Army was a great time. We do get back from time to time, on the plane. Don't miss Keni, Sewart, Homer. I did the ferry from Prince Rupert to Haines many times. Pretty nice. The Alcan was not all paved the last time I was on it, therefore no recent experience. The next time we do the trip we will stay all summer, take the motorhome and the bike will ride in the trailer (gee, I will get a lot of flack for that). We will not be able to do the next trip until the daughter gets back from Iraq, we are taking care of the 6yr old grandaughter. Enjoy the trip.

Old 04-02-2009, 06:42 PM
DanTMan
Road Master
Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Alaska Ride

On June 2nd I'm leaving on my combination "Happy 60th Birthday and thank God I survived a 35 year Cop career retirement ride". I'm shipping my bike to Seattle from Chicago (to give myself some extra time on the return trip) and will ride to Anchorage on the AlCan. My wife is flying out and we'll fly to Bethel, AK to see our son and his wife, then back to Anchorage where she'll fly home.

I'll ride back to Seattle via the Cassiar Highway and when I get to Seattle I'm meeting some buddies and we're riding Pacific Coast 101 down the coast of Washington, Oregon, and N. California before we turn East for home.

Can't wait- I'm bringing a tent/sleeping bag but hope I don't have to unpack it.

Old 04-04-2009, 12:35 AM
Dzambel
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I’m very thankful to all of you for such responses. I ‘m sure I will enjoy this trip and I promise to post some of my pictures.

Old 05-16-2009, 01:02 PM
ON-3
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

BlackBastard; what you've heard about the Cassiar Highway is 100% correct, that was one of the most scenic sections of out 10K mi.Alaska trip. I hope to ride it again someday but allow extra time, half of it is dirt, gravel, and washboard pavement. One of the guys in our group actually had his trailer break in half from all the vibration that the road caused.