Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Going to be in Lardo Florida April 12-17??????

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2009, 07:06 PM
campdreamer47
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Smile Going to be in Largo Florida April 12-17??????

Hi everyone was going to go to Laughlin Nevada did not work out so now it's Largo Florida. I would love to rent from Chrome Horse Harley Rentals they have a shop in Tampa I understand.

Would do the fly and ride but can only do that out of Orlando. We are flying into Orlando but here is the situation. I do not know my way around the area at all and I am not a big city rider. I have gone on 3500 mile trips before but not through real busy city's. I have experience on busy interstates too but they are not the best to travel at times.

Can some one help me out with some ideas or maybe even hook up with us while we are in the Largo area for a ride.

If I do go the fly and ride way what route should I take from Orlando to Largo that would be a little relaxed. I know of route 4 but that seems to be a real busy nothing to see highway or is it?

Also wherever I decide to rant from what about some good rides and scenery to take in around Largo. Yes I did some goggle map research but would still like some help. I also want to do a SCUBA rental while in the area too.

Ant help would be greatly appreciated.

Cameron

Last edited by campdreamer47; 03-16-2009 at 03:33 PM. Reason: Oops I met Largo not Lardo my bad can not spell
Old 03-16-2009, 04:12 PM
campdreamer47
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Please some one correct my typo in the Fargo Florida Post. I mistyped Fargo as Fardo.

Please fix the typo of Fardo to be Fargo Florida I can spell honest just hit the wrong key.

Old 03-16-2009, 05:03 PM
WarriorHD
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Oh man...Good luck if you're taking I-4 Orlando to Tampa during rush hour. One heck of a busy road in both the Orlando area and Tampa area. And it's not all that biker friendly either from my experience. If you were to do that ride on an early Sat or Sun morning, you'd be ok...Weekdays and later AM weekend traffic is a bear. As far as the riding in the Largo/Clearwater area, lotsa stupid drivers in those parts. You gotta have eyes all around your head. I assume when you want to see scenery, you're looking for a ride a long the beach. Well I will be the first to say Florida is definitely no California when it comes to riding along the coastline. You might consider doing a ride on Gulf Blvd, but be prepared to sit in some red light traffic. You can literally take Gulf Blvd from St Pete all the way up to Tarpon Springs. It basically becomes ALT 19 not to be confused with US19. ALT 19 runs along the coast but since it's so built up, its really hard to see the water or beaches. You might also consider hitting the little strip in Clearwater Beach. It's real touristy but alot of the Northern people who visit FL, like that area. For what it's worth, I'd say you'd be better off renting your bike in the Clearwater area rather than Orlando. Only way you should even think about being in Orlando is if your going to visit the Mouse or any of the other theme parks.

One more recomendation for a cool ride is Gulf Blvd North up to ALT 19. Turn when you hit the Dunedin Causeway and head straight back to Honeymoon Island. It's pretty cool out there. You can even take a ferry out to Caladesi Island, which is supposed to be one of the nicest beaches in the US. I go out there often and it's very pretty and natural. Good luck.

Last edited by WarriorHD; 03-16-2009 at 05:09 PM.
Old 03-16-2009, 05:06 PM
WarriorHD
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

PS...I forgot to mention that you can find lots of places to rent SCUBA gear right off of Gulf Blvd. You can hit any of the marinas as they all have daily SCUBA tours. Stop at a tourist stop and you can find many brochures. Or just google, Clearwater, FL Scuba.