Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Zion Nat'l Park

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 11:27 AM
Stroker 1700
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I want to go! Anybody have a rough map of the region/parks and a route penciled out to hit them up? I'm on the east coast, and I don't know the area at all, so it'd help in planning.

Rich

Old 03-11-2009, 01:20 PM
AK97fxdwg
Outstanding HDF Member

Once again, thanks for all of the help/input folks! Sounds like sunscreen and lots of water bottles to me - glad that I have an oil cooler on my scoot.

Great pix too.

(How do you get them embedded into the reply rather than as attachments?)

Old 03-11-2009, 01:52 PM
krub6t9
Extreme HDF Member
Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Hey guys Im goin to utah the last full week of june.I m comin form the south rim and heading to hurricane ut for 1st nite via 89a and 389. goin next day to zion then 89 n to hwy 12 to torrey.stoppin at escalante capitol reef etc. next day headin to moab & arches via24e to 95 s stoppin along way at needles etc. leave the next day via128 to I 70 cant wait

Old 03-11-2009, 01:55 PM
krub6t9
Extreme HDF Member
Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Check this web site for some fantastic pics of the routes.There are 2 pages be sure to hit the links for the pics

http://www.cyclerides.com/ridephotos...2/utahday1.htm

Old 03-11-2009, 02:00 PM
jmcollison
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AK97fxdwg
Once again, thanks for all of the help/input folks! Sounds like sunscreen and lots of water bottles to me - glad that I have an oil cooler on my scoot.

Great pix too.

I wish I could explain better, but I upload my photos to Photobucket and from there it's pretty easy to copy and paste the image to the dialogue box here.

By the way, the pic in my sig is from the Cedar Breaks overlook just up the hill and east from Cedar City, UT.

Old 03-11-2009, 02:04 PM
jmcollison
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Stroker 1700
I want to go! Anybody have a rough map of the region/parks and a route penciled out to hit them up? I'm on the east coast, and I don't know the area at all, so it'd help in planning.

Rich
Rich, it's like going to the Smithsonian and trying to see everything in one day. There is so much great riding there and so much diversity. Everything from tall Ponderosa Pine forests with nice gently twisting roads to red rock formations to the tunnel in Zion (LOVE IT) and the HooDoos in Bryce Canyon.

Old 03-11-2009, 02:18 PM
DonM
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Man, you guys know the road #'s a lot better than I do. When I was first on those roads, most were still dirt and had a lot more windies (is that a road or a fart?) There were more names than numbers.

Lover's leap SW of Blanding, Isabelle hill West of Mexican Hat, Up the river road, down the river road, LaSalle loop road through Castle Valley, Squaw Tit Mountain (OOPs - politacally incorrect name - called that by old cowboys. Has been renamed Round Mountain since the Environmentalists have taken over Moab.) Lots more names and roads in that country. Don't miss the San Rafael Reef over by Torey. Small area, but great petroglyphs and canyon. Nice Motel on the West side of town.

If you can't tell, I was born in Moab and lived in the SE Utah and SW Colorado country most of my life. When I was growing up in Moab, about every fifth vehicle down Main Street was an oar truck carrying Uranium oar. No sprocket heads. '57 Chevies, Mopars and Mustangs were the order of the day. Four wheel drive and horse trails instead of bicycle trails.

But I digress.

Don

Last edited by DonM; 03-11-2009 at 02:33 PM.
Old 03-12-2009, 12:29 AM
doc_cj
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great pix too.

I load them on an old website hosting page I own ... so I use the space to store pics and then use them on spots like this one. The Photobucket is another good choice as well.

Once you've got them hosted somewhere then use the "Insert Image" button (It's the little icon with a yellow background, sun, and mountain). Then post the URL and it will load the picture for you.

One other thing I should mention, when you head for 4 corners then make sure you're tank is topped off. The ride from Hanksville to Blanding is about 126 miles, and I don't think there's any gas spots on the road in between.

Here's a couple more shots of the type of scenery you'll encounter. This first one is between Cedar City and St George but off the Interstate. It's taken outside of Gunlock, UT, which is near Gunlock State Park

http://www.utah.com/stateparks/gunlock.htm

These next two are east of St George as you head for Kanab, UT. It's approximately south of Zion National Park, so it gives you an idea of how varied the terrain/scenery is around here.

Old 03-12-2009, 01:37 PM
rwagon57
Tourer

In Moab plan a drive through Canyonlands NP also, after you visit ARches NP. Canyonlands is an entirely different experience. Plan a full day, take your time and hit the visitors center and all the vista points.

For specific info about the National Parks go to www.nps.gov, then click on the link for the park your interested in.

Old 03-12-2009, 04:02 PM
Worm
Intermediate

Hi Folks- Some buds and I are planning a trip where we'll all meet in Moab, Utah and then scoot over to Zion National Park. Any do's and don'ts to be had out there? Motels in the Park area. Is it as beautiful as we've heard? Thanks-AK
Just finished that ride except froom Zion to Moab. One of the greatest rides I've been on. Lots of good road, little or no traffic, and lots to look at. Dont bother with Needles, unless you want to hike lots of miles. A must see and stop is Capitol Reef National Park. Its all visable from the road, the scenery is fantastic and when you get done, there's a great motel just up the road a mile or two on the right. Good food, good beer, decent rates and biker friendly. It's a good ride. I did mine in late april, early May. Was not hot yet so plan your trip as far as the weather goes. Not many overpasses to hide under to get out of the rain (if it ever does). Goin' to Glacier this year, any info on that?
I can send a few pics if you like, just say the word.

Quick Reply: Zion Nat'l Park