Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

INFO Needed on Blue Ridge Mountain Weather

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2009 | 01:05 PM
drumer66
|
Tourer
Default INFO Needed on Blue Ridge Mountain Weather

Hi Gang -

I'm looking to take the ride down from NJ, threw Skyline Drive onto Blue Ridge Pky, sometime in the middle of May....

I'm trying to get a feel for the weather temperatures at that time..... Is it still too cold in the mountains???.. I don't really want to travel with a jacket on most of the time.... I'm a warm weather rider, and enjoy riding in tee-shirts and jeans, and thats it....

Is May still too early???

regards,

JIM D

Old 03-03-2009 | 02:48 PM
bruce sg08
Road Captain

we rode the parkway a few years back in the beginning of june, couldn't believe the temp difference at high altitudes. We had our jacket on most of the trip, many times could have went without it, but some of the higher peaks it was needed. Wouldn't cancel trip based on that its not that it was too cold to enjoy. begining of june the mt. laurel is in bloom.

Old 03-03-2009 | 03:53 PM
glideridemike
Ultimate HDF Member

My experiences in the Smokeys tells me to always be ready for that thunderstorm to come a rollin up on ya all of a sudden like, and they can be real gushers too.

Old 03-03-2009 | 04:27 PM
hardluk1
Road Master

You don't have to worry about rain near as much as some make it sound I live just below Mt Mitchell and could see the br road from my old house. Fog can be a major problem and cold . Just asume it will be cold in the morning and thats a good start. It has snowed on july 4th before. Just do a weather background for avery,mitchell and yancey counties to see typical weather patterns and do a 16 day forcast and then come on, it is what you get. Rain thu ain't the big deal. It can pour off both sides at lower elevation and fog in the high mountains.Even with the colder temps if its late in the cold front it can be warmer at higher elevations-- inversion in temp is very real. Just do a wether search for avery,mitchell and yancy countys and then do a 16 day forcast before comeing.

Old 03-03-2009 | 06:29 PM
glideridemike
Ultimate HDF Member

I'll be heading that way coming down from Pa in late June. Good to know but I'm a thinkin I'll still pack my rain gear...

Old 03-03-2009 | 06:34 PM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member

I live off the BRP in Virginia....For May, you gotta expect it all. Cold mornings, May showers, warm middays, cool evenings, and cold nights.

Old 03-03-2009 | 08:06 PM
COBALT BLUE 06
Novice

Just some advice, have been there and done that. Take all your leather and especially the rain suit. Came down skyline week after the Fourth of July and had to wear leather the whole way. The year before came back late one afternoon to Gatlinburg from Ashville NC. and came across from Cherokee and got caught in fog , rain, and dark. Stay out of the mountain roads after dark, could not see and road was very slippery. Got back to Gatlinburg at 11:00 p.m. that night. Just my .02..

Old 03-03-2009 | 09:03 PM
Biker Oma
Road Master

Last fall we did the ParkWay from North Carolina right up to and onto the SkyLine Drive. We came through incredible fog, our leathers were soaked, our visors were cracked open so we could see, so much for scenic views!! We passed a number of bikes who ran with their 4-ways flashing, doing what ever they could to be seen. They looked like aliens pulsing in the fog. The fog was so thick it muted their sound. Weird!!

So wear layers, take rain gear or quality leathers, take water proof bag for the camera, and pack your happy attitude. You are in for a great ride.

We want to go back and do it again, WITH a view.

Old 03-04-2009 | 10:30 AM
tpelio
6th Gear
Default blue ridge

I make the trek every year in late August and have had mostly success with the weather. Our final destination is Deals Gap. We come out of Long Island. usually me and one or two buddies. my route is on the Harley ride planner labeled deals gap run. if your interested in looking at it. We'll wave when we pass by in august....Stay Safe

Old 03-04-2009 | 10:39 AM
Ghostrek
Advanced

My Wife and I will be making our first trip to the BRP with a group of couples in mid July. We will be starting from the south end and then turning off at Roanoke to head to Virginia Beach before heading north along the coast to other locations in the northeast.

Quick Reply: INFO Needed on Blue Ridge Mountain Weather