Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

National HOG Rally, Oklahoma City June 26th - 27th, 2009

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 04:37 PM
E.Richardson
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default National HOG Rally, Oklahoma City June 26th - 27th, 2009

Hey riders! Some of you might be planning for the HOG rally in Oklahoma City in June so I wanted to make an area from a native Oklahoman in case you had questions and/or suggestions. Hopefully, this will be a good resource for anyone coming into OKC for the rally and give other Oklahoman's a place to post their favorite locations!

I currently live in Edmond (about 10 min north of OKC) and I've grown up here so here is are some suggestions of places that my group rides to or that I frequent. If any members want to meet up, let me know. I have a group of 3-4 of us that ride on a regular basis and we'd love to show you the town!

By no means is this list "The Best". I'm sure that other people that live here will chime in with their faves too.

Where to eat

There's an area about 10 minutes north called Memorial Road - This area has all the standard eateries (Chili's, IHOP, etc.) but there are a couple of good bars on that strip as well. Some to look for include: Baker's Street and Thunder Roadhouse Cafe - This is a Big Dog shop that has a bar and off track horse betting there. The food is good and there's always a lot of bikes to be found. http://www.okcthundercycles.com/

One of the cool little hole in the wall bars to hit is Henry Hudson's located on NW Expressway behind the On The Border restaurant. A little tricky to get there but always a lot of fun (pool, darts, music, and biker friendly)

Actual good restaurants are scattered all over OKC but a few that I can recommend is Bricktwon Brewery (located in Bricktown) http://www.bricktownbrewery.com/, Cattlemen's restaurant (don't miss this one) http://www.cattlemensrestaurant.com/ this is a great spot for steak and located just minutes from Bricktown and the Fairgrounds. If you like seafood, try Pearl's restaurant or The Trapper's both owned by the same company but good food. http://www.funfresh.com/

If you like BBQ, there are several to choose from. There's Rib Crib (standard), but Earl's Ribs is a great place and they're all over the city. http://www.earlsribpalace.com/ (VERY BIKER FRIENDLY)

For bars... take your pick. There is a ton of GREAT biker friendly bars. Basically, follow the bikes...

In terms of what to see:

- National Memorial OKC Bombing - A beautiful memorial and place to come see what happened April 19th, 1995. The museum attached is a great walkthrough as well.

- The National Cowboy Hall of Fame - Great place to see great artwork, history and designs by great artists - www.nationalcowboymuseum.org

- Pop's - This is a throwback to the old 50's style diner and located on Route 66 out to Arcadia - This is a great ride, good food and a hustle bustle place. The wait is typically long but the scenery is great for the ride out there. http://pops66.com/

This is just a few of the things I can think of but I'm sure I'll add more later. I will update as I think of them (and have time) up until the actual event. Anyone coming here will love the friendly nature of the people that live here and their willingness to help or make suggestions. If you have questions or if you'd like to meet up, e-mail me at e.richardson@mac.com

I'll be happy to help out. I called HOG to find out about registration and it wasn't very helpful. So I'll make myself available to anyone that has questions. We look forward to seeing you in June!!!

Old 03-29-2009, 12:56 AM
freakfly5
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info, I ride down there few times a year and go to bricktown so a rally sounds great. Looking forward to it.

Ben

Old 03-29-2009, 02:32 AM
doc_cj
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dude ... you didn't mention Leo's BBQ? Blasphemy!

Old 03-29-2009, 05:06 AM
Ultra 08
Elite HDF Member

Thanks. Now that's good stuff.

I'll be watching this thread because we're planning to be there for the rally.

Old 03-29-2009, 09:27 AM
harleyflyboy
Road Warrior
Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

Thanks for the information, I am giving some thought to making the trip from San Antonio, and easy one day ride.

Old 03-29-2009, 09:52 PM
E.Richardson
Tourer

Originally Posted by doc_cj
Dude ... you didn't mention Leo's BBQ? Blasphemy!
Never heard of Leo's but there is the most TINY little BBQ place called Tom's which is the most authentic BBQ I have ever had. Matter of fact, I'm heading there tomorrow... sounds really good.

If anyone needs more information let me know.

Old 04-01-2009, 12:52 AM
Hackd
Elite HDF Member
Received 82 Likes on 77 Posts

Tap Werks (in Bricktown):

Federal Building Memorial:

Take the boat ride and see the art:

Cattleman's Steakhouse is good, although I feel it's somewhat pricey and very busy. I also enjoyed the food at Zio's (Bricktown), and it was decently priced.

Old 04-12-2009, 08:07 AM
monkyman
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

We are heading out from Connecticut to attend the rally and really looking forward to the trip. We have adds here in Ct for "Joe's Crab Shack" even though there are none in the state, or even close to us. I noticed they have a couple in OK city, are they any good?
Pop's is a definate trip as well. We will be going into Texas for a day or so, and I plan on visiting Strokers Dallas.
I hope all you guys down there stay safe with all the tornados I see on the news. Are they usualy gone by the end of June??

Old 04-12-2009, 11:49 AM
E.Richardson
Tourer

Originally Posted by monkyman
We are heading out from Connecticut to attend the rally and really looking forward to the trip. We have adds here in Ct for "Joe's Crab Shack" even though there are none in the state, or even close to us. I noticed they have a couple in OK city, are they any good?
Pop's is a definate trip as well. We will be going into Texas for a day or so, and I plan on visiting Strokers Dallas.
I hope all you guys down there stay safe with all the tornados I see on the news. Are they usualy gone by the end of June??
I actually like Joe's Crab Shack a lot. I get their BBQ Dungeness Crab and it is really good (especially with a very tall cold beer) Actually June is right in line for tornado time but it's not that bad. We know WELL in advance when the _____'s about to hit the fan. I wouldn't worry about it but be ready to have fun while you're here!! If you'd like, let me know when you get here, I'd like to say hello or buy you a beer.

Old 04-12-2009, 08:15 PM
flakdog
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I really like bricktown, last time I was in town went to a place called "The Biting Sow" and heard a guy called Doc Blues. It was a lot of fun. Don't worry about the tornadoes, but if you see me running, try to stay up! lol
FD

Quick Reply: National HOG Rally, Oklahoma City June 26th - 27th, 2009