Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Where to go

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2009 | 05:30 PM
hdjimmi
|
Stage IV
Default Where to go

Thinking about a 9 day bike trip this summer. Been to Sturgis many times. Where do I go???

Normally camp, but am thinking nightly motel stops would be nice...

Live in Mi...

Where to go???

Old 02-28-2009 | 05:46 PM
Eyeball Kid
Ultimate HDF Member

Grand Canyon.

Nice destination, and planned right you will really enjoy the ride there and back.

Old 02-28-2009 | 05:55 PM
voodoochild
Cruiser

The Canyons great, and Zion park, Arches Park, etc. Skip vegas.

Blue Ridge Parkway.

Natchez Trace.

Motels make the trip easier, but camping is the real deal.

Have a blast.
cheers

Old 02-28-2009 | 05:59 PM
buford
Cruiser

Where to go?
No affense but, does it really matter? Try something different and pick a direction, instead of a destination. Some of my best road trips have been this way. Plus it's a great way to meet people and see the USA. Typcally you'll find plenty of motels along the way to stay in. I'd keep your tent and bed role on the bike just in-case you find a campground in some beautiful country.

Old 02-28-2009 | 07:23 PM
hardluk1
Road Master

Just pack up the bike and take off for 4 and a hlf days with know where special to go ,just ride. Maybe get a small cargo trailer to tow for a bit more comfort. Those trips make some of the best. Do take something like a SPOT locator with you regardless.

Old 03-01-2009 | 09:00 AM
JBourquin
Road Master

Definately direction, no destination. Even if you do have a destination try not to put a time constraint on it. Get a compass. My uncle once drove from Nashville,TN to Northern, NY using only the compass in the truck. It usally takes fourteen hours but took him three and a half days. He would head north for a while then east for a while. Never once getting on a highway. Said it was the best trip of his life. Now just Imagine if he had done it on a bike?

Now when my wife tells me to get lost, she knows I'm serious when I say "Love to".

Last edited by JBourquin; 03-01-2009 at 09:02 AM.
Old 03-01-2009 | 12:24 PM
bigdoghd
Road Master

I'm doing a few trips this year, with the lomgest one being 3 weeks. I'm currently planning a 4 day trip the beginning of April. I bought a big USA map that is laminated and you can write on it. Grab one and start looking at where you want to go and with the sites for food etc you can plan out a pretty cool journey.

Old 03-01-2009 | 05:21 PM
NavyPT
Road Master

If you planning a trip in June head east to the Adirondaks in NY for Americade then follow-up with a short ride to Laconia in NH. Both locations have plenty to see and do along with some great riding.

Old 03-01-2009 | 08:24 PM
EGlideKid
Road Master

Hmmmm... Michigan, you say?
Are you taking the lady in your life? What about Niagara Falls and then up into New England or Canada? That could be a good trip for two (romantic also).
If you've been there, what about down to the Smokies? It would be easy to spend a week there?

Old 03-02-2009 | 06:58 PM
BigJfxdwg
Road Warrior

Blue Ridge Parkway and Smokie mountains would be my first choice if I had the time. The Southwest would be my second choice, lot's of good stuff to see but it sucks getting to the good stuff from MI and you might want a little longer if you don't hammer out big miles in a day.

Quick Reply: Where to go