Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Dath Valley

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 10:17 PM
Silver Fox
Club Member
Received 46 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Dath Valley

We live in Alberta, and want to take a trip into the USA this summer. We would like to go over to the Oregon coast through Yosemite park to Death Valley and over to the Grand Canyon. From there up to Zion and Bryce Canyons over to Arches National park to Yellowstone then the road to the sun in Glacier park and back up to Hinton, Alberta. We can go in June or July. Would either month be better to go through Death Valley or is it just to hot that time of year, and we should pick a little different route. I hear it's extremely warm in the summer in Death Valley!!!

Old 02-24-2009, 03:31 AM
PS-Cowboys
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Silver Fox,

we went through Death Valley last July and to be honest - we would never do it again at that time of the year !

With a highest temperature of app 130 Fahrenheit we clearly overestimated our physical abilities and the moment we left the valley was one of the happiest of our life.

Our big mistake was to cross the valley between noon and 3 PM - if you go be sure to leave it behind you before 1 PM !!

Old 02-24-2009, 03:44 AM
Bobzilla
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow sounds like a great trip I don't know any thing about death valley But Yellowstone would be better in July they have a really nice little rally in Red lodge Montana on the third weekend in July the bear-tooth rally some immaculate riding just out side of Yellowstone

Old 02-24-2009, 11:22 AM
jmcollison
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If you're coming in July avoid Death Valley like the plague! As was mentioned the only way to ride it at that time of year would be between 4AM and I'd do everything in my power to be out of there by 10AM. That having been said, you wouldn't have much of an opportunity to see much...just a drive-through.

The rest of your route sounds pretty good but NV-AZ-UT can be pretty warm that time of year as well!!!

Old 02-24-2009, 12:10 PM
honestbob
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you do go bring 4X the amout of water you think you need and don't wait till you think you are thirsty to drink. Your body will lie to you. Drink every 30 min if the temp is over 100.

Old 02-24-2009, 09:19 PM
Silver Fox
Club Member

We got a chuckle from some of your descriptive responses. Sounds like we should change the route. We may be able to hold off until September. Would we be able to survive Death Valley then? The rest of the trip might be a little nicer also if it's not as hot over all. Last year we went to Canada's east coast and back through the USA. We were gone 39 days, in the first four weeks we had three days with absolutely no rain. Death Valley would have been a welcome change over some of the cool rainy weather we had. If we had gone there I'm sure when we left it would have looked like Butchart Gardens in British Columbia. LOL.

Old 02-25-2009, 07:13 AM
Pierre
Tourer
Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Hi,i was from Quebec City Canada and las summer we ride from Quebec to Las Vegas,we were there in july,very hot.....buy a Hydra vest at a Harley dealer,you soak the vest in a bathtub or sink for 10 minutes and it absorb water,you put a jacket over it and you are comfortable all day....it make your day a lot less miserable in very hot weather....try it

Old 02-25-2009, 12:43 PM
rwagon57
Tourer

In 2008 Beartooth Pass and Going to the Sun Road in Glacier NP did not open until July. You can check the Glacier NP website and the Montana and Wyoming DOT web sites for info.

Death Valley, Las Vegas, and lower elevations in NV, AZ, and UT will be hot in June through October. They are very doable if you plan appropriately. Carry lots of water and drink often. I use 100 ounce hydration bottles that we can drink from while we are riding. I have one and the wife has one. We strap them on top of the tour pack or before the Ultra, the sides of the T-bag. Wear long sleeves and use sunscreen. The long sleeves protect you from sunburn and help reduce dehydration.

I say equip yourselves and plan for it and make the ride.

Old 02-25-2009, 09:58 PM
Silver Fox
Club Member

It's helpfull getting tips from people who have traveled these different areas. I'll check out the Hydra vest, haven't heard of that before. How much are they? Thanks again for the info.

Old 02-25-2009, 10:03 PM
sugartastic
Cruiser

we rode it last year in june from vegas. there is a reason it has it's name. if you do want to cross it, i suggest doing it at night. coming from up north, it will feel like someone poured a gallon of gas on your face and lit it on fire. besides that, it's a cool ride.

Quick Reply: Dath Valley