Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Coastal Georgia Forts Tour

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2009, 12:43 PM
katobird
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I ride Savannah to Brunswick for work....I enjoy route 17 and yes I forget sometimes how nice it is here....Ft McAllister is 2 miles from my house.....

Old 02-21-2009, 04:17 PM
capt775
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thanks for the ride Pastor, I can't wait to get back on my bike and do some writeups.

We don't get enough trip reports on here with pics and stuff.

It's good to see pics of the places to have an image in your mind instead of just the directions of how to get there.

Old 02-22-2009, 07:03 AM
honestbob
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Shame you didn't extend your trip about 100 mi. south. Ft Clinch in Ferandina, Ft. Caroline in Jacksonville( the first european fort), and the numerous forts around st. augustine.( the oldest european city in the new world) Maybe another Ride?

Old 02-24-2009, 07:36 PM
kiltiemon
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pastor, I'm glad you got to stop by a couple of my favourite "haunts" Fort Morris and Fort Frederica (I could tell you some stories...). And, I'm elated that you stopped by One of my Two MOST favourite "haunts"... Fort King George! I'm a French and Indian War and a Revolutionary War reenactor, the Staff there are like family. Here's a lament I wrote a while back when I was stuck at home during one of the Reenactments at Fort King George...

kiltiemon
Road Warrior Join Date: Feb 2006

RE: TalkLikeAPirate

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tonight...

At the mouth of the Altamaha River and the Marshes of the Atlantic Ocean,

Just East of the Town of Darian, Georgia.

Lies the Georgia State Parks Department's (And His Majesty King George the Second's) Fort King George (Now a State Historical Site)!

Earthenworks, Pallasaded, with barracks, Officers quarters, and blockhouse. Garrisoned by a hundred or so reenactors... British, Scottish, Royal Navy, Privateers, Members of the Southern Indian Department... and some Spaniards (you may refer to them as Papist Bastards, God knows we do!!!)!

Upland of the Fort (about 200 Yards into the Oak forest near the modern Park Service buildings and the Museum, where the Spanish are encamped) lie the remains of (I'm not certain if we know how many since only a few of the graves are marked) British troops who served here during the Spanish wars of the 1720-30's.

Now... there's a lot of jollification going on tonight (wish I was there instead of at home typing this). The lads are drinking and sharing their best rum, home brew, period food, authentic music and song... and will, well into tomorrow morning... (Won't those Damned Indians EVER STFU!!!???).

As much enjoyment from the shared food, drink, song and company as they're experiencing... there is always, almost to a man of us, a subliminal and deeply felt sense of reverence for the lads lieing up there on the bluff, who died here in their (our) country's service nearly three hundred years ago. And, though it may seem strange to some of you, we never seem to lose that sense of purpose, that if by some quirk these guys were given an hour or so of life, that they would hear our music and song... and know that their lives and sacrifices were honored and respected. And hopefully, that they would feel welcome to join and listen in (In whatever manner they may be able) to the rememberance we give them.

In the morning, some several thousand tourists will come through the site, they'll interact with the garrison and some may even stop and look at the few gravestones near the Museum...

Saturday night, once the tourists are gone, the revalry will begin again.

The dead are not forgotten! Even though none of these graves has a name on it, we respect them. As a reenactor, to see a muster sheet, to see the names of the wounded or slain, is the closest we will get to thanking those individuals. We're a strange kind of folk, we living history guys (many combat vets amoung us, or vets in general (by far the majority of us are!!!).

The Names of the Men and Women who have sacrificed thier lives for our freedom are NOT to be swept under the rug of "Political Correctness"! Like the photos of the flag shrouded coffins in the plane that were published several years ago.. it is our reminder of the honor and sacrifice that has been given. And the love and respect with which we hold them and their surviving loved ones.

Like the lads on the bluff at Fort King George... They are of us... and We are of them!

In every way... We should remember them!!!

Jim aka kiltiemon (You haven't lived until you've "Hey, Haul Away! sung continually for an hour and a half with not a single verse repeated!!! Here ye, Lad... 'ave some mair Rum???

Thanks Again for the Great Photos! If you dropped down I-95 toward Brunswick, you'd have come to the BEST Barbeque you've ever had (exit 29 (some exit with a "9" in it) I think it is!). Just off the Interstate to the East in an ancient log cabin set off the road a ways!

Jim aka kiltiemon

Old 02-25-2009, 05:26 AM
Pastor John
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Did you say "barbeque"? And I missed that?! I'm packing up right now!

That would be a good basis for a tour: "Best Barbecue In The State Tour" - I can taste the possibilities now!