Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

First big trip and maybe a dumb question...

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2009, 10:17 PM
CaptainTremens
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey everyone, thanks for the advice and suggestions. Still not sure what I'm going to do yet, but at least there's other people out there who've ridden without a sissy bar and had no issue.
Thanks again.

Old 02-05-2009, 10:36 PM
doc_cj
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The sissy bar or backrest will give you a foundation to stack upward. Otherwise you will want to spread the gear across several locations such as using a handlebar bag, tool bag, and tank bag. I ride with several folks who us tank bags for smaller items or for their shave kits and then put the map in the pockets on top.

You can also spread a larger bag horizontal across the back seat and two saddle bags, but you'll lose access to the saddle bags while it is in place. It also means you can't go upward without losing some of the stability.

Another option are the tailbags used by the metric/rocket bike riders. Tourmaster has a tailbag that looks somewhat like a duffle bag ...

Nelson Rigg has a tail bag that is fairly secure and roomy ...

The Nelson Rigg bag has a built in bungee cord system that allows you to attach the bag to the bike. I've not used the Tourmaster bag, but I've seen a couple. They have a similar system, if I recall. Dedicated motorcycle luggage is going to be more expensive (both of these bags are over $50 and up to $90), but the design and tie-down systems are worth some of that extra money.

Also consider getting a bungee net rather than just a collection of individual bungee cords. I use the bungee nets to secure the main bag to the backrest/seat, and that gives me a way to secure smaller items (bottles, sunscreen, etc.) right under the net for easy access.

Last edited by doc_cj; 02-05-2009 at 10:43 PM.
Old 02-06-2009, 07:22 AM
hardluk1
Road Master

One thing i will guaranty if you spend good money on a t-bag or some other nylon or leather bag even with the liner and you are rideing for days some thing will get screwed up and wet when you want it dry. Look at a water proof dry bag, one that the top rolls down is highly visible to other drivers and will keep stuff dry in a lake. Most all of thses mc related bags are a rough second for dry but are good for rain suits ,dirty cloths gatters, stuff it does not matter that much if they get damp or not and day trips with an extra garbage bag tp pull over to cover the little side bags they all seem to have. Remember that most all that type of bag if it carries any amount of product need to set up or agaist a support . Not dry bags.

Old 02-06-2009, 08:47 AM
txgeezer
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Spend the money and get a backrest, buy a T-bag, I have put many many miles on the road with them. Easy on/off to take to the tent or hotel. If you are the least bit worried about wet clothes pack them in large baggies, sit on them to get the air out while you seal them and then drop the whole thing in a garbage bag or two

They won't get wet but you can use the garbage bag if you camp. Pack meds if you take them. It's an adventure, enjoy it. Here is an example but you have to have the sissy bar.
Thats a T bag, tent, cooler, camp chair and the HD luggage rack bag all bungied on & I didn't even have the saddlebags on it yet. Gives you a GREAT backrest to lean against. Bunggie your coat around the whole thing when you are not wearing it.

You can pack several ways - put pants, shirt, underware, socks in one bag for each day or pack them up separate. How ever you do it, you;ll end up wanting something at the bottom, it's the law <G>.

Good luck - it's a ball

Attached Thumbnails First big trip and maybe a dumb question...-93-camp-trip-small-.jpg  

Last edited by txgeezer; 02-06-2009 at 02:48 PM.
Old 02-06-2009, 10:03 AM
corcon
Advanced

I recently went to florida for a week.I had saddle bags and a duffle bag on the top that I tied down with 2 crossed bungee cords.I bought a set of bungee nuts from HD to tie everything to and it worked great and was easy and quick to use.

Old 02-06-2009, 02:07 PM
rwagon57
Tourer

While the waterproof bags have their merits, two heavy duty garbage bags inside your duffle bag/T-bag/tail bag, etc. keeps everything dry. I use an Eclipse tankbag as a camerabag on the bike. It is lined with two tall kitchen trashbags, and has a foam rubber insert cut out for the Camera, an extra lens, and some accessories. I have ridden through near zero visibility thunderstorms in Kansas for hours with no wetness inside. I find the motorcycle specific soft luggage is easier to secure and is stable. Trashbags make it waterproof.

Old 02-06-2009, 04:48 PM
Buck Naked
Cruiser

Originally Posted by rwagon57
While the waterproof bags have their merits, two heavy duty garbage bags inside your duffle bag/T-bag/tail bag, etc. keeps everything dry. I use an Eclipse tankbag as a camerabag on the bike. It is lined with two tall kitchen trashbags, and has a foam rubber insert cut out for the Camera, an extra lens, and some accessories. I have ridden through near zero visibility thunderstorms in Kansas for hours with no wetness inside. I find the motorcycle specific soft luggage is easier to secure and is stable. Trashbags make it waterproof.
+1 on the trashbags. 2 gallon ziplock bags are handy also---keeps the funky clothes away from the clean ones!

Old 02-06-2009, 04:48 PM
Ridewva
Grand HDF Member
Received 387 Likes on 219 Posts

I had a Dyna which may be similar to pack as your Fatboy. FWIW this is how I packed it for extended rides and camping. I prefer the luggage to be as far forward and low as possible. I carried a lot of stuff yet could hardly feel it once moving. Even when passing trucks or in strong crosswinds.
The saddlebags held my clothes, tire and tool kit, personal items, and small compressor. The small bags strapped lengthwise on each saddlebag held; one for my tent and ground cloth, and the other held the Thermarest. There was also a little extra room in each end that was easily accessible for small items like maps. The top of those bags were level with my small rear rack (or the rear seat) so the larger dry bag rested level. In it were running shoes, extra helmet visor, sleeping bag, heated jacket liner, Darien pants, towel, Kermit Chair, cooler, etc.

Old 02-06-2009, 08:44 PM
09fatty4me
Intermediate

I've heard good things about the Kuryakyn Grantour bag. My brother uses one on his streetglide without a backrest and has never had a problem. Mounts under the seat and provides a backrest. Lots of room inside too. I bought one last week and now I wait for riding season
Have to watch where you buy them. Up here HD wants $220 and the local accessory store had them for $160.

I looked at the ultra tour pack but it is very tall and I don't think I'd use it without a backrest. The grantour looks big enough on my fatbob.

Last edited by 09fatty4me; 02-06-2009 at 08:49 PM.
Old 02-06-2009, 09:26 PM
PiP
Novice
Default not to far off subject.

Does anyone know were i can get a sissy bar for a '08 fatbob other then the harley one, its only going to hold a bag and dont want to drop 250.00 for a bag holder. thanks

Quick Reply: First big trip and maybe a dumb question...