Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Mini ride report, Fat Bob

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2009, 10:51 AM
Centerline
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Mini ride report, Fat Bob

I posted the below report to my brother riders on the RSWarrior website. A lot of curiosity over there about Harley's fabulous machines, and of course some fun Harley bashing (I did my share of HD bashing there as well) The several references to the Yami Warrior mae since it IS a Warrior site and I have extensive experience with Warriors.
.................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ......
Okay, so last Sunday Dec 28, left Austin in the morning on my HD Fat BOB with all of 2025 miles on it and rode home near Dallas, about 235 miles of lo 40 temps, light to moderate rain and gusty winds for most of the way to home. Did final trip packing and headed for the left coast by late afternoon. The entire rest of this trip was under clear skies, but sometimes cold temps. This ride was going to take me across Texas to El Paso, across New Mexico and Arizona to Parker, then north to Las Vegas, then on to Riverside, Ca. Arrived in Las Vegas about 10 in the morning on Tuesday. Had slept twice in motels, (sun and mon nites) Ate lunch with mon and son who were visiting Vegas at the Monte Carlo and headed right out on the highway to Riverside, Ca and my folks home. Stayed with them until I left Friday afternoon the 2nd. One difference I have really appreciated over other recent bikes of mine is that my right wrist is not vibrated to sleep on the Harley. That is a very annoying condition which I have encountered on ALL my other recent bikes, and it occurred/occurs on all of them within about 20-30 minutes of riding. That would be both of my Warriors induced wrist sleep, my FJR did, same for the KLR650, ditto the KTM950 and the Ducati Monster, also the Husqvarna 450. The Harley is the only one that does not do it.....a big plus on long trips. As the miles rolled by, usually cruising on the open road at 75-80 mph the low fuel light did not come on until AFTER 150 to 200 miles. The Fat Bob has a 5 gallon tank and depending on head wind or tail wind, slope and average speed my fuel mileage was between 35 and 55 miles per gallon. A steady 70-75 mph with gentle grades, no wind and elevations less than 2,000 feet yields about 55 mpg with the bike. I never got anywhere close to that with either of my Warriors at lower elevations. On all my other scoots seat comfort is/has been somewhat an issue as I have always been more than happy to get out of the seat by the time a fuel stop is/was required. For instance, a 500+ mile round trip to Houston on the Warrior and stock seat was a grueling day in the saddle. On the Harley with stock seat, controls,handlebar and a compact, low windshield, I was not at all ready to get out of the seat.....in fact, once or twice I stayed on the bike as I refueled and blasted right out on the road again. Anywho the bike didn't miss a beat on the way to or from California and was a very comfortable ride. It is equipped with mid controls and highway forward pegs. I could move my feet/legs fore an aft which no doubt helped with the comfort level. I used the rear pax rests some when the air was warm, just could not bend my gear covered legs to the aft pegs in cold air. On my return, the ODO shows 5465 miles. That is 3440 miles in 4 days of riding. Did take some side trips, a very short one to see the London Bridge on Lake Havasu. On the way back spent about 3 hours visiting Tombstone Arizona and then Fort Bowie Arizona, both full of colorful, sad and wild west American history. Wouldn't be complete if I didn't get a speeding ticket just a few miles from home. 79 in a 65 zone. First ticket in years. I have deserved many tickets though. It is different now being retired from my airline career, I also no longer have a Federal LEO badge.....it worked wonders over the years in preventing citations; that was a useful bene that I really miss, not to mention legally having a shootin' iron with me at all times in all states. P.S. the speedo on the Harley is dead on. GPS verified and now State Trooper laser radar verified. Fortunately he didn't nab me 2 minutes sooner when I passed somebody just a hair under 100. One last comment with almost 5500 miles on the rear tire.....it still has LOTS of tread remaing. I am guessing I will get near 8,000 miles out of it. That never happened on my Wariors, lucky to get 4,000 miles out of a rear. Will post a pic of the tire later. '

Here is a link to the RSWarrior site
http://rswarrior.com/forums/t/125042.aspx