Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Planning Charleston SC trip

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2008, 02:48 PM
moondog99
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Planning Charleston SC trip

Me and five buddies are planning a road trip from Angie Louisiana to Charleston SC in April. We are planning a route through Columbus GA. We are planning a route to avoid long interstate rides we prefer state highways. We have never been to Charleston and would like some ideas on things to do in or around Charleston. We are also looking for a vacation rental in the area. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 12-22-2008, 03:30 PM
FLHTCUI05
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can't help much with Charleston, but try VRBO.COM for a vacation rental. Rent directly from the owner. Can get a deal sometimes.

Old 12-23-2008, 08:49 AM
SC-Longhair
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

One thing I've wanted to do in Charleston was visit Fort Sumter...where the first shots of the civil war were fired. You could also go see the Hunley. Can you tell I like history? As far as a non-interstate route from GA to SC, you could meander your way from Columbus down to Savannah (I love that place) and then pick up 17 north into Charleston. I know there a good amount of biker-friendly bars in the charleston area. I haven't been down that way in more than 6 yrs. You could try contacting the low country abate of sc officers. Ride safe.

Old 12-23-2008, 09:22 AM
widowmaker22
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't remember the name of it but there is a maritime museum that has an aircraft carrier,submarine and a coast guard ship that you can explore without a guide. This is just off route 17 and the carrier can be seen when crossing the awesome Charleston bridge.

Old 12-23-2008, 11:52 AM
Chicago 03 King
Tourer

USS Yorktown, Its the Patriots Point Naval & Maritime Museum Just north of downtown on the Ravenelle Bridge. 1st street light make a right and follow that down to the museum. There are "haunted" tours all over the place, you've got Market St. (with Low Country HD shop right there) with all kinds of street venders.

Good food and drinks can be found on Shem Creek, its about 10 min north of downtown. I like Red's Ice House with the outdoor waterside bar, but there are 6 other bars / restaurants there too. You can look into it on ShemCreeksc.com

While on your way up there is also Beufort / Hilton Head Island area about 1-1 1/2 south of Charleston on 17. BTW, 17 would be a very very beautiful drive up from Savannah.

I was there in October and had it not rained almost every day I was going to rent a bike for a day.

Old 12-23-2008, 02:32 PM
moondog99
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

We also are history buffs and we plan on seeing Fort Sumter as well as everything at Patriot Point. Good ideas! I will look into traveling Hwy 17 because after a search here several people have been talking about it. And the biker friendly places in the area are always a plus so thanks for the insite. I am a planner by nature and love to know all I can before I visit someplace so keep the advice coming. And thanks for any and all advice.

Old 12-27-2008, 10:19 PM
Rhonda
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ahhh......we do love Charleston! Make sure you go visit a plantation or two. May I suggest Middleton Place of Boone Plantation? Also, make sure you take a horse (or mule) and carriage ride through Charleston. Ft. Sumter is fantastic. And you absolutely MUST eat at Bubba Gumps or AW Shucks for the best seafood on Earth or Hyman's for the fantastic eating. Make sure you ask for fried green tomatoes!! I love history, especially civil war history and the place is wonderful in every way. Have a blast!

Old 12-31-2008, 02:33 PM
TCC
Road Captain

My home port was in Charleston back in the early 80's. I loved riding down there. I remember there was a bar called "The Bar". Alot of fuzzy memories form that place. If you like fishing take a ride up to Lake Moultrie. I think you can still rent house boats and on the lake. Ilse of Palms is nice too.

Old 12-31-2008, 04:03 PM
SC-Longhair
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by TCC
My home port was in Charleston back in the early 80's. I loved riding down there. I remember there was a bar called "The Bar". Alot of fuzzy memories form that place. If you like fishing take a ride up to Lake Moultrie. I think you can still rent house boats and on the lake. Ilse of Palms is nice too.
Sorry for the hijack...I've been living in SC for 9 yrs and have yet to try out Lake Moultrie. I did watch the Bassmasters a few years back and they were on that lake. Yes, I watch bass fishing on tv. lol The water was crystal clear and the bass were on the beds. I remember one guy set a bassmasters record of something like 130+lbs worth of fish. They were some of the biggest bass I had ever seen. My problem is I don't have a boat and don't know anyone who does.

I'd be happy to split the gas bill if someone wants to let me join them on that lake, in a boat.

Old 12-31-2008, 05:57 PM
pierrat
Cruiser

Sorry but i dont think The Bar is there. There is always Richards Bar on 17N about 6 mile north of the downtown area. I am a Native to the area so hit me when you get in if you want to get a drink or have some questions. Wish ya a safe trip.

Quick Reply: Planning Charleston SC trip