Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Planning Charleston SC trip

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2009, 02:22 PM
jgavidia
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd probably head to Macon and then East, any road is nice. Cross the river through Burtons Ferry Highway (301), which will take you to Allendale SC. Then, stay on 301 and look for Rt. 64. You are at the beautiful SC National Heritage Corridor. See www.sc-heritagecorridor.org. I ride that all the time. Forget 17, it's boring. Head down to Walterboro. Visit the town, eat something. Stay on 64, will take you to 17 just south of Charleston, SC. Then give me a call and we can meet, I live in CHS.

Old 01-12-2009, 01:49 PM
kiltiemon
Outstanding HDF Member

Hit the Charleston Museum. They have a Civil War (1860's) "Hunley" and don't miss the Nock Volley Gun on display on the second floor (As carried by Sgt Harper in the "Sharpe" series!

You'll enjoy also Drayton Hall c. 1730's and the British headquarters during the seige of Charles Town... Beautiful! It's on the "river right" (the south shore of the Ashley along River Road.

Taking the interstate north around modern Charleston, you'll cross onto Daniel Island. Take the first exit as you come on shore and turn south and back west on a side street. You'll get to "The Queen Anne's Revenge" (where all the reenactors hang out during a Charles Town event). It's a steak and seafood restaurant with an early to mid 18th century nautical theme. The displays and artifacts that are diplayed openly and in cases run the gamut from conserved artifacts to those displayed in situ just as they were found! Lots of big guns and firelocks on open display along with piratical sailing stuff.

Jim aka kiltiemon

Old 01-12-2009, 06:32 PM
nukdavid
Stage I
Smile

Originally Posted by moondog99
Me and five buddies are planning a road trip from Angie Louisiana to Charleston SC in April. We are planning a route through Columbus GA. We are planning a route to avoid long interstate rides we prefer state highways. We have never been to Charleston and would like some ideas on things to do in or around Charleston. We are also looking for a vacation rental in the area. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
hey big guy there is a web site called vrbo look it up it will help you with a rental it isowner who rent out there places.

Old 01-13-2009, 03:18 AM
HHI Dave
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can't add much more that hasn't already been said, but I'll agree with some points.

Definitely take a side trip and check out Savannah along the way. Lots of history, lots of restaurants and bars. City Market, Bay Street, and River Street are the hotspots in Sav. If you have enough time, ride over to Tybee Island as well.

If you plan to make it over towards Hilton Head Island, let me know and I'll be happy to show you around. Be aware that the Heritage (PGA golf tournament) takes place in April too so traffic might be heavy, depending on the dates you're in this area. When you leave you can take Hwy 17 all the way to Charleston.

As already posted, check out the Shem's Creek/Mt. Pleasant area. Red's Icehouse is a cool place. Also check out the Wild Wing Cafe. There's one in Mt. P but the one in downtown Charleston is usually where the party is.

Old 01-13-2009, 07:33 AM
SteveB FLH
Road Warrior

Daughter is A senior at The Citadel in Charleston SC so we have been there a few times.... Try Southend Brewery, Noisy Oyster, Tommy Condons Irish Pub (excellent), Fleet Landing restaurant. Also Folly Beach has a few good bars and eats. Take either carriage tour or Harbor tour or you can combine the two and take both. These tours are guided and are very informative. If you want a good meal (and not pay alot) in downtown try Juanita Goldbergs I try and eat there at least once a trip. Also several cigar shops downtown. The Harley shop is on N. Dorchester Rd. right off interstate and they have an outlet store downtown. BE WARY OF TOURIST TRAPS.....There are PLENTY of them!!!!!

Old 01-13-2009, 07:38 AM
katobird
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

going thru Columbus, Ga 280 south past Ft. Benning,in to Plains,Ga ( Jimmy Carter)then thru Americus Rt 29 into Andersonville (national landmark).Backtrack to 280 again and follow it East thru Cordele,McRae,Vidalia(onions), Claxton (Chicken and Fruitcake)Pembroke, then onto Rt 204, will bring you to I95 and SAV Harley. I95 North (5 miles), I16 East only 8 miles and it will dump you into downtown Savannah. (historic district, River st, Bay St.. You'll see the Talmedge Bridge thats 17 North to Beaufort onto Charlestown

Pretty flat, rolling curve, some straight rds, not bad, plenty of small hotels just depends what you want