Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

dragon stories and photos

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2008, 03:52 PM
GONZEE
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dragon stories and photos

i just checked out the pics on a previous thread about the riding the dragon whos done it and lets hear about it. i am planing a trip next year to do it just curios on everything i need to know. the web site is great but i wanna hear from you. just popped in the movie 2 lane black top they drive it 55 chev and a 71 GTO.

Old 10-27-2008, 04:49 PM
Pastor John
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Wow - where to start? First of all, it can get very crowded on weekends, and the Highway Patrol works hard to keep speeds down. It's a demanding road and requires your full attention, so you won't get to enjoy the scenery much because you can't take your eyes off the road even for just a few seconds - the curves are that numerous and tight.

The Cherohala Skyway is nearby and is more scenic and enjoyable. Cherohala Motorcycle Resort in Tellico Plains is a great place to stay, whether you are camping or wish to use one of their cabins. They serve great meals as well and have very clean private bathrooms.

The Foothills Parkway, on the north side of the Dragon is also a great road and gives you access to the north side of the Great Smoky Mountains National Park.

Old 10-27-2008, 07:50 PM
Cosmic Razorback
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 18,031 Likes on 7,308 Posts

It can be very dangerous.

I hear of someone getting hurt up there every weekend. A local guy was hit head on by another bike this summer and the police were real slow getting to him because of another wreck they responded to first. The medical folks were even slower getting there.

Enjoy but ride smart.

Old 10-27-2008, 08:06 PM
Harley Joe
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't y'all forget about other good roads in the Maggie Valley NC area:

Hwy 276 from Brevard to Waynesville (Maggie Valley). This runs by Lake Lure (where Dirty Dancing was filmed) and Chimney Rock. Good twisties for much of the way.

Hwy 209 from Waynesville to Hot Springs - then west on US-70 to Newport TN and drop down to Gatlinburg.

These two routes are challenging and not crowded. Just get off the 4-lanes and you'll be surprised what you can find. I live about 5 1/2 hours away from Maggie Valley, but it usually takes us 10 or more hours to get there by taking only 2 lane backroads and stopping to look at what interest us....

Old 10-27-2008, 08:33 PM
Hx3
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I've done the Dragon on a number of different sport bikes and Corvettes (2007 Z06 was last one) and have to admit to having a drug a knee puck a time or twenty through there, but it's really a stupid place to ride like that. It's much better enjoyed at a pace that is comfortable to you. There are a LOT of good roads in the area. The two best pieces of advice are to NEVER cross the solid yellow line and to let those who are faster by whenever you have a safe place to pull over.

Old 10-28-2008, 07:11 PM
dyna rider
Club Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Default The Dragon

I've ridden it about 6 times. I never have and never will ride it on weekends. Don't even like it on Mondays or Fridays. If I am going to ride it, I start by going down to Tellico Plains and riding the Cherohala going east and the Dragon going west. The Dragon is more dangerous going east than west. Someone killed this summer riding east by going off a cliff. The ride between the two places is nice. The Foothills Parkway is a nice scenic relaxing ride after the dragon and it will take you back to Hwy 321, and Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg area.

Old 10-28-2008, 07:34 PM
RoadHog659
Road Master
Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

I've run the Dragon several times, usually during the last week in April or first week in May. My advice is to ride your own pace. Depending on the day of the week and the weather, you may be riding with sportbikes, Mini Coopers, Honda 2000s and a whole lotta Goldwings and Harleys. And you will likely be pushed from behind and blocked in front. I have to remind myself that it is not a race, and I enjoy the experience much more when I'm not trying to break any speed records. Plan to ride the Dragon early in the day, when you are not tired from a long day in the saddle. Spend some time at the "resort", buy a t-shirt, meet riders from all over the country, take pictures. It will definitely be a highlight of your trip, but not the only good riding in the area.

Old 10-28-2008, 07:38 PM
corona1cal
Cruiser

thanks for the info.

Old 10-28-2008, 08:46 PM
07yellowglide
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by RoadHog659
I've run the Dragon several times, usually during the last week in April or first week in May. My advice is to ride your own pace. Depending on the day of the week and the weather, you may be riding with sportbikes, Mini Coopers, Honda 2000s and a whole lotta Goldwings and Harleys. And you will likely be pushed from behind and blocked in front. I have to remind myself that it is not a race, and I enjoy the experience much more when I'm not trying to break any speed records. Plan to ride the Dragon early in the day, when you are not tired from a long day in the saddle. Spend some time at the "resort", buy a t-shirt, meet riders from all over the country, take pictures. It will definitely be a highlight of your trip, but not the only good riding in the area.
very good advice

Old 10-29-2008, 01:43 AM
Pmariner
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I rode it last month on my way back from a cross country trip. Heard so much about it on this site. I took my time which didnt please a few sport bikes behind me. Two passed me on a double curve. Then a Honda Civic passed me. and then a sport bike which was coming in the opposite direction came into my lane. Luckily the guy knew how to ride because he straitghtened up which shifted him back into his lane and then he leaned it over again to finish the curve. A little stressful to say the least, but the ride was thrilling. I did it up and back just to say I rode the dragon but if I'm ever back down there again I dont think I'll ride it again. It definitely requires your total attention.

Quick Reply: dragon stories and photos