Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Sturgis

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2006, 01:31 PM
CopperHead
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sturgis

Hi every body I just joined the form and I love reading all the cool stuff on it.
In April last year I bought my first bike (FLHRC-I). The only regret I have is not buying it sooner. I have custody of my 16 year old son and when he decided to go stay with his mother in Texas, I had time to think about me for a change and I decided it was time to get something I have wanted for 30 years, a Harley!
Anyway, I decided to go to Sturgis. I left my home in Carriere, Ms. About 1:30 am Friday 08/05/05. After missing a turn in Jackson Ms., getting turned around in Fort Smith Ark. and lost in Kansas City Mo. I made it to Rock Port Mo about 8:30pm. I had 1013 miles on the bike when I pulled in at a little mom and pop hotel. It had rained just enough to get wet and I was ready to call it a day. I did not realize how tired I was till I hit that bed. When I woke up the next morning I was in the same position on the bed that I was in the night before. I got up about 4:00AM and could hardly wait to get back on the road. I left about 5:00. The sun rise I saw going through Iowa was breathtaking, it seem to last for about hour. When I got to Sioux Fall the sun was up but it still was chilly. I didn’t realize I was hungry until I pulled in to get gas and smelled sausage cooking at a McDonalds. Boy that was a good breakfast. It is funny how you are so consumed about getting to Sturgis that you forget to eat, and I do not mess very many meals. When I left Sioux Falls, headed for Sturgis, the sun was on my back and my helmet was on back of the bike. I can not express the beauty of this country but it gives your soul orgasms! (I hope can I say that here). Anyway I made it to Exist 34 in Sturgis, and stayed at No Name City Camp grounds. I met some great people from Milwaukee WS.., Albuquerque NM, Spokane and Seattle WA., Bogalusa LA, and Canada. I had the most fun in that five day than I have in a long time.
I left Sturgis and headed to Estes Park CO. I stayed there two night and wile I was there I crossed over the continental dived and had lunch in Grand Lake at Rapids Lodge.
I left Estes Park and headed for Chico TX to see my son. That was a good ride, got to see these wind mills in the pan handle of Okalahoma that were every wear. I stayed in Chico two day and my son and I rode all over the place. Had a great time with him. When I got home, I had put 4,984 miles on my bike in the week and a half I been gone.
This year my twin brother and I are going to Sturgis and are going to stay two weeks. I can’t wait.

Old 03-30-2006, 01:34 PM
liltrk
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Sturgis

Welcome to the forum from Canada. Great story. For all the beautiful country you have seen, there is so much more. Enjoy.

Old 03-30-2006, 02:53 PM
eleutheros
Road Master
Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts

Thanks for the great story.

Old 03-30-2006, 10:21 PM
roadglidin
Cruiser

Welcome aboard.. Enjoyed your story about the trip. You express great enthusiasm about the ride and the adventure and that is just awesome. I bet we crossed paths at some point. I was in "Sturgis" the weekend B4 it officailly began, and also stayed down in Colorado (Loveland) for a few days and met plenty of great people riding in Estes Park.

Old 03-31-2006, 12:19 PM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 42 Likes on 35 Posts

Copperhead,

Welcome to the forums, welcome to the world of HD, and let me say I am glad you enjoyed you first long trip. Judging by the riding you did, I would say that you are going to be a real Iron Butt.

Regards,

Bill

Old 04-01-2006, 11:30 AM
Harleyglide
Cruiser

Great story and i myself seriosly thinking of making that trip also while i can still can,plus your a good dad