Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Blue Ridge Parkway

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2005, 10:48 PM
RIEDEL
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blue Ridge Parkway

Planning on riding the Blue Ridge Parkway from Asheville, NC to Front Royal, VA. the second or third week of May. Looking for any information that may be useful in planning my trip. Will two days be appropriate for the entire route?

Thanks from Kansas

Old 03-25-2005, 09:45 AM
Sincecrazy
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Blue Ridge Parkway

A suggestion for a stop would be the Biltmore Estate in NC. I have posted a pic of it in the 'pics from previous rides', thread. Another point of interest would be to ride the Dragon at Deals Gap. I think there is a thread of that also. Other than that enjoy!

Old 03-25-2005, 07:53 PM
RIEDEL
Intermediate

tail of the dragon is a "must do" from everything I've read.

thanks,

Old 03-26-2005, 12:50 AM
AceArt
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Sincecrazy
A suggestion for a stop would be the Biltmore Estate in NC. I have posted a pic of it in the 'pics from previous rides', thread. Another point of interest would be to ride the Dragon at Deals Gap. I think there is a thread of that also. Other than that enjoy!
To each their own. I have been to the Biltmore House twice. Each time I went a took a different wife. I don't EVER want to go back there again!

Old 03-26-2005, 12:58 AM
John TN
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

My wife and I rode the entire trip from Front Royal to Cherokee N.C. last year. We made it in three days, the last day was rain and fog and the Ashville to Cherokee when we could see was the most senic of the whole trip. We camped two nights on the BRP. I would recommend at least 3 days if you go the Ashville to Front Royal to allow yourself more time to explore along the way. Either way you will enjoy the trip as long as it's not raining too much.

John TN

Old 03-26-2005, 02:25 AM
mikeisglidn
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

RIEDEL, better check with the state tourism or maybe the highway patrol, if im not mistaken parts of the parkway may be closed from the last hurricane last year, they had a bunch of flooding and mudslides. i plan to goo myself later in the year!

Old 03-26-2005, 04:00 AM
Ragin_Republican
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Damn Ace, sounds like that place holds some bad karma for ya! []

Old 03-26-2005, 10:33 AM
RIEDEL
Intermediate

Thanks for the heads up; there are two sections which are closed and sounds like they are still going to be when I'm there.

Old 04-06-2005, 02:07 PM
hawk
Road Master

Don't go there
ORIGINAL: AceArt

ORIGINAL: Sincecrazy
To each their own. I have been to the Biltmore House twice. Each time I went a took a different wife. I don't EVER want to go back there again!

Old 05-03-2005, 10:30 AM
SCBGR
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just read your post, not sure if have been yet. We do the parkway a few times a year , going again May 14. Asheville is a definate stop the Biltmore is ok if you like crowds and old houses plus is like $30 per person, if you like wine they do have a nice winery. Make sure you do deals gap but be careful of the sport bikes. Mt. Mitchell is cool. highest elev east of the miss. eat at the pisgah inn and if you say the night in asheville do one of thier B&B's the chestnut st B&B is good ask for Norma. dinner at the flying frog ic good, if your there on the 3rd friday of the month they have a nice downtown street party.

Quick Reply: Blue Ridge Parkway