Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Yellowstone and the Beartooth

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2008, 01:14 PM
dv102
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up Yellowstone and the Beartooth

Just did a 3500 mile trip in 8 days from the Chicago area to do the Beartooth and Yellowstone. I was going to do it solo and go up to Glacier but the wife asked if she could come along so I shortened up the ride and took Glacier off but added the black Hills. My wife has never been west so she was in for quite a trip. We had to use the super slab in order to make the trip work. We rode 660 miles the first day then spent the next 2 days Riding the in the Black Hills and the Badlands. After that we left for Red Lodge to do the Beartooth. The temp was up near 100 while going through Wyoming and Montana and it felt like we were riding through a blast furnace, I think we must have drank 3 gallons of water each but the seeing the Beartooth mountains made us forget the heat. The HD dealer in RedLodge had no T shirts and is a satellite store for the Billings dealer so they don't have parts. The next morning we took off and did the Beartooth Highway and the only way to describe it is WOW. It the wind was gusting over 40 miles an hour and it was about 40 at the top but the views and the ride kept you from thinking of the cold. We were coming around one bend and came upon a semi drivng it and I'll have to say that guy must have some *****. We stopped at the Top of the World store for coffee and T shirts. From the Wyoming side we went to Cooke City for lunch and went into Yellowstone from there. Yellowstone is a world in itself. the Bull Elk are very aggressive and will charge you. So if there be aware. The only way to really describe the Yellowstone and Beartooth is to experiance it yourself. We spent 2 days exploring Yellowstone which just covers the mainn attractions but theres much more. After Yellowstone we did 3 500 mile days to make it home. I will add pictures as soon as I figure out how to put them up.

Old 09-01-2008, 02:16 PM
onthedish1
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

dv102, did a similar trip from Virginia to Sturgis and beyond, did 800 miles the first day, 700 miles the second, then about 250 into Sturgis. After touring the Black Hills, including Devil's Tower, I headed west to Montana, stopping off for the night in Red Lodge. The next morning I headed across Beartooth Pass and then onto the Chief Joseph Highway to Cody, then west into Yellowstone. Yellowstone is awesome, not only do you have to watch out for Bull Elk, but also Buffalo that come running out of the woods. I was nearly side-swiped by a big bull as I drove along the roadway. Trips are all about the places we go, the sights we see, but especially the stories we get to share about our adventures.

Old 09-01-2008, 09:36 PM
faber
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm glad you folks had a good time when you visited the area.

Now you know why I moved here You haven't seen the half of it....come back and ski!

If you guys ever ride through the area again, send up a flare, or a PM. I'd be happy to help you out with some backroads, good fishing spots, etc. and meet you for a day's ride and buy you a beer/coffee/scotch/milk/Coke/whatever.

Cheers

Old 09-03-2008, 06:33 AM
Simon UK
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like a great ride. Riding the Beartooth is one of those, "Hey, wouldn't that be great one day.", things on my list of want-to-do's. If, that is, I ever have sufficient time and finances to cross the pond and do it.

Old 09-03-2008, 12:24 PM
faber
Ultimate HDF Member

Do it, Simon! You'd be surprised how far your pound sterling will get you over here now. The exchange rate is brilliant, or rubbish if your money is in US$

Plenty of Britons/Irish in the area, even a few who ride motorcycles (I'm Irish). You'd be surprised.

Old 06-03-2009, 02:01 PM
Harold Mead
Stage I
Default wyoming

Going to Rawlins,Wy next week for a couple days of work, am going to ride my bike there, where should I ride and what should I not leave behind. Any help

Old 06-03-2009, 07:57 PM
faber
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Harold Mead
Going to Rawlins,Wy next week for a couple days of work, am going to ride my bike there, where should I ride and what should I not leave behind. Any help
Well, how much extra time do you have? I know northern WY better than southern, but I can recommend that you head up US 287 from Rawlins to Lander. Keep going and ride by the Wind River Range (perhaps the most scenic mountain range in the west?) and continue on 287 to Moran Junction in Grand Teton National Park. From there turn south to Jackson. Eat the most expensive lunch this side of Tokyo, then take either US 191 or US 189 back to I-80. If you take 189 you can take the side trip to Fossil Butte.

I'll let a WY local comment on anything south of the Wind River Res. and Jackson.

Old 06-03-2009, 11:44 PM
wyoming55
Tourer
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Faber gave you some pretty decent advice, unless you are wanting to stick closer to Rawlins, Harold, you working in the oilfield or the prison, not a lot else to do for work around Rawlins. If your staying close to Rawlins on the ride, there is a loop you can do, east of Rawlins about 25 miles head south off of 80 on 130, it'll take you through Saratoga, a little after Saratoga you'll have an option and both are ok, you can stay on 130, or head a little futher south on 230, either way you'll loop into Laramie, Instead of taking I 80 from Laramie take 30 north and it will run up to Medicine Bow, stay on 30 and you'll come out on 80 right about where you got off east of Rawlins. Don't know if you've ever been to that area, but be prepared for a breeze. Ride safe, don't work to hard.

Old 06-04-2009, 12:47 AM
red1100cc
Advanced

dv102, sounds like you had a good ride. ya get to meet bill, the buffalo that walks up and down the middle of the road in yellowstone? i hate findin him after dark in the middle of the road. always freaks me out. isnt the view up beartooth awsome! ya ya ya post some pics.

Old 06-04-2009, 12:49 AM
red1100cc
Advanced

Originally Posted by Harold Mead
start by starting your own thread, ya hijackin prospect.