Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Planning a trip to Lake Champlain NY

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2006, 10:22 PM
RevTom
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Planning a trip to Lake Champlain NY

Hey guys,

I'm planning a trip in July '06 from Lancaster Co. PA to Vermont then over to Lake Champlain, NY and then heading south back to PA. Thinking of riding route #9 from Bennington, VT to Keane, NH and then heading up to northern VT stopping at a couple of HD dealers along the way. The vacation is for four days total time. Any suggestions for routes, places of interest, etc?

Old 03-25-2006, 06:47 PM
roadglidin
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Planning a trip to Lake Champlain NY

Nice Roadie, looks same color as mine. Im a New Englander and the territory your looking at is home turf for me, hope I can help. Your prob. gonna be taking 81 to 84 east? If so, about 1/2 hr. past the newburgh bridge get off I-84 in Brewster NY for route 22 North (Pawling) . Its a fast road past Brewster and is pretty scenic from Patterson NY points north. Route 7 in Ct. runs parrallel with 22 north to south-if you decide to change scenery. Almost tempted to have you take rt. 55 east in Wingdale NY to Gaylordsville Ct., then take 7 north along the Housatonic River. Kent, Cornwall, Sharon, Caanan. Nice twisties, cool and shaded in summer too. Rt. 7 and 22 both let out in Bennington Vt. Rt. 9 Vt. from Bennington to Keene is a nice road, high country. Just south of that, you could ride the famouse MOHAWK TRAIL which is Mass Rt. 2 west to east. Rt. 8A in Charlemont is a NICE road which takes ya up to Rt. 9 Vt in Wilmington. Any trip to Vt. ya gotta take rt. 100 north from Wilmington. It runs from Mass to Canada and is quite the ride the entire distance. You'll see on the maps youll be close to L. Champlain and Burlington. Keep me posted! Can help ya out all you need. TOM

Old 03-30-2006, 01:11 PM
flstniguy
Cruiser

I agree with Roadglidin. All those roads he mentions are awesome. I'm from the Albany, NY area and love to ride Rt 22. I haven't ridden all the roads he mentions but I've heard and read about Rt 100 being an awesome ride even in a cage. Keep me posted or PM and maybe we can hook up for a ride on your way through.

Old 03-30-2006, 10:14 PM
roadglidin
Cruiser

Hey do you belong to NER? (New England Riders) You should check us out on the web. Albany is more than welcome to come aboard! Good bunch of people, and its an all brands site.

Old 03-31-2006, 06:17 PM
RevTom
3rd Gear

Thanks, roadglidin, for all the helpful information and to you, fistniguy, for your input as well. I'm going to try to lay out the trip using what you've advised and the routes I need to get to some HD dealers in Vermont and then up to Lake Champlain. I'll run the proposed trip by you once I get a little further in the planning. Thanks again.

Old 04-23-2006, 11:24 PM
chappy
Road Warrior

Whoops!!
I should have read all the posts before I responded.

Sorry about that roadglidin, Looks like we have rode many the same roads.
All nice ones.

Hi,

Rte 9 to Keene, NH is a nice ride. But if you want to see the heart and backbone of Vermont before you get to the Champlain; here's what I suggest; while heading east on Rte 9 in VT, pick up VT Rte 100 north in Wilmington, VT. It's about half way between Bennington, VT and Brattleboro, VT. Follow it all the way north. Check your map, it's a beautiful road. If you have time, cut east before you get to Albany, NY, head for Mass Rte 2 east (the Mohawk Trail) follow it until you can pick up Rte 8A north to Wilmington, Vermont Rte 9 then pick up Rte 100 north.

If you have time for NH let me know and I'd be glad to give you some pointers for the NH / VT region, some sites worth seeing even when your pressed for time.

chappy

Old 06-22-2006, 09:50 AM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,244 Likes on 1,851 Posts

You should stop at Curtis' Rib Shack which is on Rte 5, or right off exit 4 of I91 in Putney. Tons of bikers stop there, great eats too. The place doesn't look that nice, but you would be surprised. Do a web search for it and you will find reviews about it. It is not that far from Keene, NH either. We have several rides planned in July. One of them is the Vets ride down to Bennington.

Old 06-23-2006, 06:21 AM
scrappy883r
Outstanding HDF Member

Curtis' Rib Shack I have heard that place is really good i will have to take a trip down. Up here in W hartford on rt 14 we have BIG FATTY'S. The BBQ is great esp Big Fatty's Pull pork sandwich it has one pound of pulled pork and 1 pound of french fries that go with it. There is some outside seating. This place is mainly take out for now.

Old 06-23-2006, 09:05 AM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,244 Likes on 1,851 Posts

ORIGINAL: scrappy883r

Curtis' Rib Shack I have heard that place is really good i will have to take a trip down. Up here in W hartford on rt 14 we have BIG FATTY'S. The BBQ is great esp Big Fatty's Pull pork sandwich it has one pound of pulled pork and 1 pound of french fries that go with it. There is some outside seating. This place is mainly take out for now.
Scrappy, I haven't had a chance to eat at Big Fatty's yet, but I know the owners real well.