Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

none DOT helmet warning

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2008, 09:47 AM
coloradosteve
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default thank you!

Good information to know. Legality of a "DOT" approved helmet isn't the discussion, it is, where are people getting checked for such things. This member wasn't saying they were "Breaking the law" which I would interpret at NOT WEARING a helmet. Wearing a non-DOT helmet is just bending the law, same goes for speeding.

FYI, anyone traveling through Wheatland, WY on I-25, pretty consistently setup with a speed trap right now.

Old 08-10-2008, 10:02 AM
dynaglider
Tourer

Originally Posted by UNCCHarley
So you are upset that you got caught breaking the law? I guess I do not understand why you are so upset when you know that states that require a helmet require a DOT approved helmet, not a joke non approved helmet.

No, I am not a cop before you say that, I just do not understand the gripe is all.
It's not like he murdered someone. He "violated" a "law" which is not illegal everywhere in our great country. He didn't do anything bad. He just didn't do what some nanny-state do-gooders said he should do.

Old 08-11-2008, 01:14 AM
badinfluence63
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Other states are catching wise to this too. NC has always been a helmet state and was tolerant of the novelty helmet....until last year where a specific law denounced helmets that are non DOT.

Here in lies the delimma of that situation in my opinion... the offender is at the mercy of what ever LEO du jours attitude. In the stated case here, there was a chance that the ticketing officer could have issued a warning with the understanding that the rider was passing through plus geting the helmet but instead in this case, the law is the law and comply. I thought he was an overbearing *****. The enforcement of the NC no novelty helmets law has been enforceable depending on ther attitude of the Officer. Some don't care, some its there mission in life to erradicate all novelty helmey use in NC by any means possible(including death if they could get away with it)

As a rider and who is leaving the friendly confines of your state and their laws as you have come to understand them, why would you jeopardize the seamless flow of your ride knowing each state has different laws and each officer has a different attitude? Why would you not reflect on that position? In my opinion you have no one else to blame but yourself for that ticket. Its unfortunate and an avoidable expense but I don't feel sorry for you one bit. Yes the LEO could have been a little more lenient as was his discression. As long as you were getting a new helmet he was an ahole for giving you the ticket too. Who needs the BS. At least you have a DOT helmet now and you can thank Officer PITA for that. He really did you a favor for future long distance trip use. Did you at least get one you like?

Last edited by badinfluence63; 08-11-2008 at 01:32 AM.
Old 08-11-2008, 10:14 AM
classof96
Tourer
Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

Yep, Michigan is on to it also. I got one over the 4th of July in northern Mi. 105 bucks here.

Old 08-11-2008, 10:50 AM
Far 3ast
Tourer
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Nice to hear they're keeping the good people of Grand Island safe from you outlaw biker types! Who knows what kind of **** you could have stirred up while wearing that novelty helmet if not for the valiant efforts of Officer Friendly...

Old 08-11-2008, 11:31 AM
mhjimh
Novice

badinfluence63; I through the new DOT helmet in the ditch about a mile out of town and put my novelty back on. So I gess they owe me a littering ticket as well. And one more thing I"m not upset at all, I was braking the law and got cought (never got a ticket just had to buy a helmet). I'm just trying to let others now how wear a novelty helmet to go around G.I.

Last edited by mhjimh; 08-11-2008 at 11:44 AM.
Old 08-11-2008, 02:48 PM
SPDSTR
Cruiser

It didn't really sound like gripping to me. Just sort of an FYI. A hitch on the freedom trail as it were. I live in a non helmet state so as far as I am concerned he can wear a baseball cap [just a personal opinion ~ wear what you want!]. However, what really ticks me off about Nebraska is that their roads with "scenic byway" designations are all flippin highways.

Old 08-11-2008, 03:34 PM
badinfluence63
Banned

Originally Posted by mhjimh
badinfluence63; I through the new DOT helmet in the ditch about a mile out of town and put my novelty back on. So I gess they owe me a littering ticket as well. And one more thing I"m not upset at all, I was braking the law and got cought (never got a ticket just had to buy a helmet). I'm just trying to let others now how wear a novelty helmet to go around G.I.

My bad. Good to hear you didn't get the ticket. Well that was fair. As for throwing it away, I don't understand that...must be nice to have the money. You may need that agin sometime or somewhere.

Old 08-11-2008, 03:48 PM
SPDSTR
Cruiser

I get it now (da) sorry a little slow today. Officer Friendly has a sister and she is married to the owner of the dealership that sells the special DOT helmets. Next year I am setting up a stand ten miles before you get there and selling DOT sticker(s).

Old 08-11-2008, 03:51 PM
papadop88
Road Warrior

Here in Socal, I guess its up to the cop. There are a bunch who wear novelty, me being one of them. There a re a bunch who wear DOT. Wearing a non-DOT is breaking the law, and I know that, so if I get pulled over for it, then I'll accept the ticket. But it won't deter me. It usually doesn't deter anyone from wearing novelties. Again, it all depends on the cop and the area.

I speed, as do most. I don't come to complete stops at stop signs, as do most. I'll make illegal U-turns, as do most. We don't always get caught, but if we do, we should accept it. Same concept with non-DOT helmets in my opinion.

Quick Reply: none DOT helmet warning