Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Alaska Anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2006, 04:39 PM
jackhammer
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alaska Anyone?

Has anyone rode to Alaska in the past several years? Just looking for info on types of roads, climate in July that type of stuff. Maybe things a guy should stop and see ect. Thanks for any advice.

Old 03-15-2006, 07:19 PM
Scout
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 706 Likes on 339 Posts
Default RE: Alaska Anyone?

There's a few members from Alaska here. You should PM Ladyglide.

Old 03-15-2006, 09:17 PM
StBobBobby
Novice

I've driven the route between Ancorage and Homer by car several times. I would say it would be a great ride through the mtns on a bike. If you would add a trip to Fairbanks and maybe Barrow or Dead Horse so you can say you have been to the northern most point in America.

Old 03-15-2006, 09:43 PM
jackhammer
Tourer

Thanks. I'm starting from Sask. going north to Edmonton / Whitehorse /Fairbanks / Anchorage then boat ride to Prince Rupert then back home. I seen a site where a guy went up the dempster hwy on a sportster to the arctic circle. He was fron the Chicago area. He documented his trip day by day. I think if your going that far that maybe a guy should take a chance and go for it. You only live once and how many guys have a pic of their bike at the arctic circle sign. I gues it depends how brave you feel that day.

Old 03-16-2006, 03:15 PM
AK_Hog_Herder
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: jackhammer

Thanks. I'm starting from Sask. going north to Edmonton / Whitehorse /Fairbanks / Anchorage then boat ride to Prince Rupert then back home. I seen a site where a guy went up the dempster hwy on a sportster to the arctic circle. He was fron the Chicago area. He documented his trip day by day. I think if your going that far that maybe a guy should take a chance and go for it. You only live once and how many guys have a pic of their bike at the arctic circle sign. I gues it depends how brave you feel that day.
I'll go, I'll go !!! Oh wait, I live here.

I rode the Alcan in 05 and 03 and it has not changed much.

The road is great til just past Ft. Nelson. Even the big steel deck bridge over the Peace River at Ft. St. John. There was a seal coat in progress just before Steamboat. They were doing it in the rain with what looked like mud and gravel. I even had mud inside my face shield.

Lots of frost heaves between Stone Mountain and Muncho Lake. And if it is raining watch out for the darker patches of pavement. I don't know what it is but it gets slicker than snot when wet.

Good hard packed gravel West of Liard Hot Springs. I was doing 80mph in parts of it.

The steel bridge at Teslin sux. The grates don't line up so your front end will want to walk on you. Just slow down and hold it firm but not tight. There can be a nasty cross wind on the bridge that will tend to push you into another lane.

Good pizza at Watson Lake!

Frost heaves and road construction East of Haines Junction West of Whitehorse. Last year I heard of 6 or 8 bikes that were dropped in the construction area just East of Haines Junction when it was muddy. I did not have any problems. Just don't follow too close to the vehicle in front of you and don't stop at the base of any elevation changes. Plan before you have to start up the hill and don't stop unless needed.

Forgot this part, sorry. Between the South end of Kluane Lake and Destruction Bay the silly buggers are straightening the road. No more twisties down there.

Lots of frost heaves between Kluane Wilderness Lodge and Beaver Creek. The 1202 Motor Inn is a good place to stay in Beaver Creek. Gravel between Beaver Creek and the US Customs point but not too bad. Visibility can be resticted due to dust in the gravel areas.

The Alcan between the US Border and Tok will have frost heaves and pavement breaks. The road has still not been repaired after the earthquake in 01 or 02. And the damage was spread over a large area. So you will run for several miles and hit a bad spot and so on.

Road is great between Tok and Fairbanks.

The Glenn cutoff South of Tok has frost heaves and quake damage in areas. The Richardson South of Delta Junction is the same. The Parks South of Fairbanks has frost heaves.

The Seward South of Anchorage is in excellent shape. But watch out for careless cagers.

The Top of the World Highway via the Klondike and Dawson City is supposed to be a mess of gravel with dust when dry and mud when wet. I have not been on that road so can not verify.

I am not familiar with the Alaska Marine Highway schedule, but they have a web site you will want to check.

Weather can be in the 80's or down to the low 30's so wear layers. A good rainsuit that fits over the top of everything is key. Bring your bug repellent, 100% DEET works great, but it will eat any plastic it comes in contact with.

The Northern Canadian Rockies are fantastic. You will go thru Stone Mountain Prov Park on the way. Some very dramatic scenic lookouts on the road. Denali Park, the Alaska Range, the Kenai Penninsula, Seward, the road to Valdez. All great.

I would stay off the Dalton Hwy North of Coldfoot. All gravel, deep in spots. And it is the Haul Road. That means it is owned by large trucks. They will not share the road with you and if you get too far over to the side the soft shoulders

Old 03-16-2006, 05:58 PM
jackhammer
Tourer

CRAP!!! Thats a lot of info AK. Thats worth a tall frosty one. I appreciate all the info and yes I may have more questions down the road. I'm just starting to plan the trip. Thanks for the offer on future info. I was going to repaint the bike this spring but I'll maybe hold off till fall (based on your road report). I'm also trying to find a rally or something durring this time frame July 22 - Aug 8th. Well got to get back to work, breaks over.

Old 03-16-2006, 06:39 PM
AK_Hog_Herder
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: jackhammer

CRAP!!! Thats a lot of info AK. I was going to repaint the bike this spring but I'll maybe hold off till fall (based on your road report). I'm also trying to find a rally or something durring this time frame July 22 - Aug 8th. Well got to get back to work, breaks over.
Well Alaska is more than twice the size of Texas so yep, lots of info.

I have made the run twice with my 03 Heritage. I did pick up a few small dings in the paint, but they don't bother me too much. I bought it to ride and that's what happens when you ride them. The worst was last year. I got paint overspray from the Montana DOT on Hwy 87 and had to use a clay bar to get it off. Only took me three days to clean her up after that run.

The Alaska State HOG Rally is June 15 -18 so that's a bit early for you. And the Yukon rally should be over by then, but I am not sure.

July 29, 5 of us will be headed out to Sturgis so we may pass somewhere on the road. We will be in Beaver Creek on Saturday night. Maybe we'll see you there.

Old 03-16-2006, 11:07 PM
jackhammer
Tourer

I live about 13 hr ride from Sturgis and have to say I've never been. I have been riding off and on now since 1980. Not much of a big crowd man, rode to the 100th and that was a zoo so can't imagine Sturgis, some of the smaller rallies are fun with poker runs ect. I was going to go to NY City this year ( want a pic of me and the bike by the statue of Liberty) but this friend offered Alaska so I thought it would be more of an adventure so thats what we are doing. I figure we should be in Alaska by the 27th or 28th of july and as I said I would by you a tall one for the info you provided if all worked out, who knows. When it comes to paint chips, no biggie, I paint my own bike, I have been airbrushing for 20 years now, check out my website http://www.members.shaw.ca/jhstudios its just a hobby thing, i do a little work for some HD shops and friends. Like you said I bought the bike to ride (pic on the softail / standard forum page 4). Anyway I'll keep in touch as time goes on.

Old 03-20-2006, 12:49 AM
WgSkee
Road Captain

Jackhammer.. Don't know if you have time for reading... If you do check out this story... This guy did a diary on his Iron Butt trip to Alaska...[sm=smiley20.gif]
Someday I'd like to do it myself.... Have a great ride and send pic's..
http://www.niia.net/~leduc_mike/

Old 03-20-2006, 02:12 AM
jackhammer
Tourer

Thanks WgSkee. I'll read it for sure. The more info I can have the better off I'll be. I have a sick kid on my hands tonight so I'll read it between puke sessions, he he, poor kid.

Quick Reply: Alaska Anyone?