Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

20 States, 2 weeks, 11,000 KM.

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2008, 08:44 PM
dotcom
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 20 States, 2 weeks, 11,000 KM.

From Waterloo Ontario to California and back. Via the tail of the dragon, Atlanta, MS, LA, TX, the four corners to California and back via the mid-west.

Any tips about must bring? Must see?

Old 04-18-2008, 12:43 AM
doc_cj
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: 20 States, 2 weeks, 11,000 KM.

Let's see, 11,000 KM is what ... 6800 miles or so ... so 2 weeks should be just about right if you plan to see anything along the way. That's still gonna be cranking it on some days (500+ miles at times). Here's my thoughts.

I ride across the Texas Panhandle at least once a year going back to see my old daddy in Oklahoma City, so get ready for a LONG, FLAT ride. Amarillo is an okay place to stop. If you get there then take a few moments to get off I-40 on the west side and at least peak at the Cadillac Ranch.

In New Mexico hope off at Tucumcari and head toward Las VEgas, NV, before swining through to Santa Fe. Old Towne is a good spot to visit. I like the ride up from Los Espanola to Regina, south toward Cuba, and then across 550 to Bloomfield, NM, where you catch 64 back to Farmington and eventually up to the Four Corners area. There's a little better ride if you stay north from Los Espanola on 84 toward Cebolla and Chama. You hit mountains at 8000+ feet and the peak to the east will top out over 11,000 as you cut through Carson National Forest.

From Chama I like to go north on 84 to Pagosa Spring in southern Colorado. Pagosa to Durango is a nice ride, and don't miss Mesa Verde National Park between Durango and Cortez. Also, if you've got time consider the Durango to Silverton loop which will take you on some great roads through the Rockies.

Once you're in the Four Corners area then consider coming on into Utah for some really great roads and sites. Two absolute must see spots are Bryce Canyon National Park and Zion National Park. The best part is how you get there. Here's a great shot of part of Bryce Canyon area ...

My favorite ride from Four Corners is to go over to Mexican Hat (SE corner of Utah) or up to Blanding, then head up 95 to Hanksville. BE careful, though, because this ride is reall long 140+ miles and there were NO gas stations in between the last time I did it.

At Hanksville you'll be just east of Capitol Reef National Park, which is where the earth's crust literally folds over itself. Pretty interesting.

That is also where you'll start the Utah 24 ride back west. Utah 24 and 12 will make up the BEST dang motorcycle rides you'll ever ride. I guarantee it!

Highway 12 is my all time favorite. Just south of Bicknell you'll catch the 24/12 junction, and you'll be going back south (eventually back west) on 12. The first major stop is Boulder, Utah, which is just outside the Anasazi State Park. Your right on the edge of the Dixie National Forest as well. Lots of twists and turns, lots of great trees, great mountains, and great riding. Below is one of my favorite shots going into Boulder ...

Head over to Cannonville, UT, which is north of Kodachrome Basin State Park.

Bryce Canyon is a GREAT place with easy access and well maintained roads through the park. I like to go alway to the back of the park and then stop at each outlook as I make my way back out of the park. Here's a few shots to whet your whistle ... so to speak.

And one of the best parts of the ride ... Zion National Park

Old 04-18-2008, 03:24 AM
94Dan69
Cruiser

Doc
Those are some awesome pics!

Old 04-18-2008, 08:15 AM
SoALposer
Tourer

Doc gave you some places to visit, hope I can ride there some time. But, as you cross Alabama, you might enjoy the Barber's Motorcycle Museum in Leeds, AL, this is just off of I-20 on the Atlanta side of Birmingham, AL. This museum is awesome, like no other you have seen, IMO.
Also, if you have the time, just when ever you see something that tickles your fancy, stop and have a look. Sometimes you find the best things that way.
Have a great trip and be safe.

Old 04-20-2008, 07:53 AM
dotcom
Novice

I had a much longer reply but the computer ate my homework. [:@]

Nice pics Doc. I will be on the south side of UT and not have enough time to see Zion, CanyonLands etc.

I will send you my cell # to comm when closer.

My current ETA is May 12 or 13th. Maybe later but not sooner.

Thanks So Alfor the Alabama tip I will go 4 sure!