Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

California Coast Run

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2005, 06:42 PM
Skullster
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default California Coast Run

I have never driven the entire California Coastline. In fact, I have only been as far north as Santa Barbara and that was not even on my bike. Now that I have some miles on the Heritage, I have the itch to take her on my first major motorcycle road trip.

I was thinking of making the Laughlin River Run but the hotels and event passes and the whole biker extravaganza phenomenon has way exceeded the amount of money I want to spend riding my still new bike on my limited vacation time off. So, I got this bright idea to follow the coastline north from San Diego.

I suspect that many posters here have made this trip or a variance of it? So I was hoping to start a thread where folks can get some good tips on places stay, to eat, and advice on trip planning and what not? I have been toying with this coastal trip idea for a while now and I’m thinking maybe I should take it the same weekend as the River Run knowing that I will be going the opposite way of the motorcycle traffic! I really have no idea how long it would take me to ride the coast but I am planning on being on the road for at least 5 nights and 6 days. And I do want to stay off of the 5 freeway as much as possible.

I found a great ride planning website I would like to share with this forum if it hasn’t already been pointed out elsewhere. It is http:www.pashnit.com

Please don’t flame me because they are not V-Twin guys. The site is filled with some great roads, pictures, and stories of places to ride. There are a few rides listed on the pashnit website that I would like to incorporate into my trip. I also would like to cross over from the coast to Yosemite Valley provided it’s not snowed in at the end of April?

Anyway, I am not opposed to overnight camping followed by a night in a comfortable room with a shower if you know what I mean. I like to plan things but I also like to just go. I hadn’t thought about going north of San Francisco but after reading the comments in the redwood coast thread I think going north is now a must do. Does six days of riding sound like enough time to explore this route? What do you veterans of the western coastline have to say?

Old 03-07-2005, 02:16 AM
SPRINGER
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,270 Likes on 1,976 Posts
Default RE: California Coast Run

Howdy, I can't comment about your travel time but I can say that I hope that you have a safe and fun trip. I have heard from people that have gotten up early in the morning, before there's a lot of traffic on the highway and just cruised the coastline. They said that it was fun to feel the cool morning air and smell the ocean air as they went down the road. Hope that you are able to do the same. ENJOY THE RIDE.

Old 03-07-2005, 12:23 PM
Skullster
Cruiser

Thanks Springer! Safety is always on my mind and the enjoyment comes even from a short hop to work! My biggest worry is getting past Hell A. After that mass of caged humanity it should be smooth sailing until San Francisco.

Old 03-07-2005, 01:24 PM
Grover
Administrator Emeritus

Received 252 Likes on 122 Posts

The Cal coast is beautiful. You can take I-5 to I-10 west, past the HellA mess and hit the coast around Santa Monica. Then its NB on Cal 1. Beautiful scenery.

There is a wine festival in Paso Robles on the 18-20 of March. If you don't go during that time, there are several wineries along Hwy 46 that have tasting rooms and tours during the week.

San Simeon - Hearst Castle - is a tourist stop.

Big Sur, Carmel Bay, Monterey Bay are all worth a look. Nepenthe in Big Sur is well worth a stop. It is a restaurant - hotel and is a great place. In Greek the word nepenthe means "isle of no cares." Nepenthe literally means "no regrets." I hope you have no regrets on your ride, and I am sure you will be treated well at Nepenthe. Here is their URL Nepenthe
North of SF the redwoods are beautiful. 2 weeks would make a great ride and give you time to look. Be sure to get local maps and check out the side roads down to the ocean. Hwy 1 doesn't follow the coast line all the way. Some times you are a mile or two off the beach.

Ride safe and enjoy your ride!!

Old 03-07-2005, 08:01 PM
Skullster
Cruiser

Thanks for the tips Grover!
I wish I had two weeks to tour but even a week in one long shot is stretching it. If I run short on time, I can always power it home on the 5 I suppose.

Old 03-08-2005, 01:48 AM
Pelonz
Stellar HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Skullster,
Based on your time schedule I'd recc. , getting on 1 in Santa Monica as previously mentioned, heading north as far as Monterey go inland to 101 south. Its a nice loop with lots intersting places to explore. Dont know how many miles per day you want to run...Santa Barbara , Morro Bay, Monterey can all be overnite stops .....Blue Sail Inn in Morro Bay is a favorite all rooms have a view of the rock and theres alot of restaurants on the embarcadero, walking distance...Jocko's steakhouse in Nipomo, to get a better pc of meat you'd have to be the bull. Side roads between 1 and 101 are plentiful and interesting.....hope I've been some help,

Another alternative would be to bust *** up the 5 to the 126 and head for Ventura to start your coastal excursion.

Old 03-08-2005, 02:21 AM
Grover
Administrator Emeritus

Received 252 Likes on 122 Posts

I agree with the Jocko's recommendation.

The Far Western Tavern farwestern in Guadalupe, just west of Nipomo, has great steaks too.

Old 03-08-2005, 12:14 PM
Skullster
Cruiser

Thanks guys! I am taking notes and mucho gracias on the steak tip!

Old 03-09-2005, 12:37 PM
JTC3495
Cruiser
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have not been up the coast in a while,but before you go check to see road conditions due to our storms we have been having.Hwy 1 seems to take a beating from heavy rains.One way Ilike to plan trips is go from Harley store to Harley store,You get a variation of towns and you can collect t-shirts along the way.A good place to stop is the Cambria- San Simeon area lots of good roads and very relaxing.Good luck and be safe.

Old 03-13-2005, 12:19 AM
Skullster
Cruiser

Thanks JTC! The ride from dealer to dealer is kind of good idea actually. I noticed that the trip planner on HD's website lets you map out routes that way. I collect Harley Shirts from cool places too! I missed gettin one while I was in Maui last year. Looks like I will have to go back and rectify the situation...