Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Nevada-Colorado-Texas

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2008, 02:43 AM
Cwboyscooby
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nevada-Colorado-Texas

We are making our trip from Fort Worth, Texas to Las Vegas Nevada in 2 weeks. We are now thinking about heading home through Colorado so we can see the Rockies before going home.

We are considering heading north from Vegas to Zion Natl Park, then cutting up to Montrose and taking 50 East through Colorado into Kansas. We have been hearing about snowstorms up in Colorado, and are getting a bit worried that the ride will be too cold to enjoy.

We would appreciate it if someone from the area can give us a realistic outlook on what type of weather (and temperatures) we will see, and give us some route advice so that we can hit the best scenery available. Any advice is appreciated.

We will be allowed 3 days to get home, so we shouldnt have to travel Colorado after dark.

Old 04-04-2008, 07:57 AM
jeffbarb17
Road Captain
Default RE: Nevada-Colorado-Texas

Check to see when the roads you want to take in Utah and Colorado mountains open up. Even in the summer it gets cold up there...so figure it will be cold in April.

For future reference.....
If it was the summer you're dead on about coming back thru zion from vegas. One the great rides that the wife and i have experienced was thru Utah and Colorado. Take 9 thru Zion and head north on 89 towards Panguitch. Before you get to Panguitch take 12 east up to 24. This road just might be the best ride you've ever had....you can go into Bryce Canyon National park( go to the end of the road and stop on the view points on the way back..they're all on the right side of the road), the Escalante area is great and there is a road in Boulder called the Burr Trail that is a must ride. Even though the Burr trail turns to gravel and you have to turn around it is more than worth it. When you get to 24 the town is called Torrey and there is a great hotel(Days Inn) great prices and new. This is a good place to stop because the next decent town to get a hotel is pretty far away. Also in Torrey is a great southern restaurant(cafe diablo)at the end of town. You can head up and around to Moab or down and around to Monticello(491) when you get to Hanksville(make sure you top up with gas here. Take 491 into Durango and head north on 550 thru Ouray and up to 50(this is my favourite road in all my riding years). The ride on 50 before you hit Canon City is great too.

Life is Great ....We all Ride!!!!

[IMG]local://upfiles/48412/B27D9A70D6754309B32CB1BB89B612DE.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-04-2008, 03:50 PM
Blind Boy Grunt
Intermediate

Riding through the San Juan's any time of the year is an adventure. In April you could encounter anything from bright, sunny skies to snow or rain. I don't believe I've ever been over Monarch Pass without some rain/snow to accompany me. Also, once you get over Monarch expect plenty of wind on the east side. Personally, I like to head south on 69 from Cotopaxi through Westcliffe to Walsenburg. That country isn't for everybody; high grasslands with the Sangre de Cristo range looming in the south, but you'll have the road to yourself. I'm sure you're well aware of this, but be prepaired for anything weatherwise. I've driven through May blizzards in this part of the country. I assume the wind won't bother you since you're from N. Texas... Have a great trip and let us know how it goes.

Oh, one other thing, expect wet roads throughout the mountains due to snow melt; you won't be able to avoid it.

Old 04-04-2008, 07:04 PM
fishcop
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with the other posts. I have some friends that go fishing up in that part of Utah, around zion and there is still ice on the ponds and lakes, so be careful.

Old 04-04-2008, 07:37 PM
Cwboyscooby
Tourer

Thanks so much for the advice. That trip sounds awesome Jeff!! We were considering Bryce Canyon, but werent sure if it was worth it. I guess we will just have to plan the trip through the mountains and check the weather before we leave Vegas and make the decision then. It doesnt look like anyone can tell us what to expect this far out. Colorado weather must be like Texas weather.... No clue what it's going to be like until it gets here....

Old 04-05-2008, 11:08 AM
bobcowan
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

>> Colorado weather must be like Texas weather.... No clue what it's going to be like until it gets here.... <<

That's exactly right. You'll have to start watching the weather a few days before. It changes rapidly.

It's going to be cold in the mornign adn evening. But it can getquite warm in the middle of the day - dependin on altitude. Dress in layers and dress warm.

Also, go to the CO DoT website and see which roads are open. Some of the mountain passes may take a day or two to open after a big storm.

Without a doubt, the best ride is Durango to Ouray. Lots of high mountain passes. But if that's closed, or it's too cold, head east out of Durango over Wolf Creek Pass. Also a wonderfull ride. Once you get to Alamosa, head south. Lots of good options there. Where 64 crosses the Rio Grand is pretty impressive.

Another nice side trip is 17 over Chama Pass.

Old 04-06-2008, 01:00 AM
doc_cj
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The advise on riding 9 into Zion, 89 north, and then across 12/24 is spot on! Weather from Vegas to St. George, UT, is likely to be warm. I rode to St. George today and it was in the mid to high 70s with a bit of a breeze. Las Vegas to St. George is across the desert until you hit the Arizona Strip, which runs through the Virgin River Gorge. The temperatures may be hitting low 80s by the time you're riding across that part of the world. Rain is not usually a problem, but you will want to watch the weather channel just in case.

Zion NP weather should be okay as well. You will be at higher elevations so there is a chance temperatures will cool off, but high 50s into mid 60s for that time of year are normal.

One thing to note is that in that area the elevation will change dramatically in just a few miles. As an example, if you stay on I-15 north of St. George you'll go from 2700 feet in elevation to over 5500 feet by the time you hit Cedar City only 45 miles north. Likewise, going into/across Zion you'll see some elevation change. If you go in later April you may even see some mid-70s temperatures on good days.

If you go through Zion east you'll come to Mt. Carmel Junction. My recollection is you're sitting at about 4000 feet, maybe a little more by this time. The route north, though, will take you higher. There are some pretty good mountains that seperate I-15 (west side) from 89 (east side), and these will run to 10,000 feet and higher. By the time you get to Long Valley Junction (89 and 14 intersection) you'll be at around 7000 feet. That's where the weather will cool some for that time of year. Temperatures should still be mid to higher 50s, and there's a good chance you'll see 60s within 2 weeks. Cutting across 14 back to Cedar City at this point will take you to almost 11,000 feet, and there's still LOTS of snow that high.

Right now Bryce Canyon is doing pretty good weather wise. There is supposed to be a cool spell in the next week, but the long range forecast is saying higher 50s for mid-April. Make the stop in Bryce if you can.

Running across 12 toward Escalante, UT, and on to Boulder, UT, is a GREAT ride. Temperatures for mid-April should be in the 50s and if you're lucky you'll hit 60s. By late April you should definitely see 60s with some days into the low 70s. Again, be careful of elevation changes, and remember the humidity for this part of the country is really low (especially compared to Texas). That can mean a dramatic cooling off when the sun starts to set or when cloud cover comes over. You can also hit a bit of snow at higher elevations. So be sure to pack so that you can layer for warm to cool changes.

Long and short of it is that the ride through Zion, up 89, and across 12 will likely be some of the BEST riding you'll have on the whole trip. So putting up with the cooler temperatures is usually worth it. The area along 12 through Escalante and into Boulder, UT, is probably the only really tricky areas you'll encounter. Here's a couple shots for you outside of Boulder ...

Here's the "Hogsback" along Highway 12 ...

Here's another ...

Once you hit 24 (south of Bicknell) you'll be in "warmer" climates. The elevation and temperature changes going east on 24 will be dramatic as well. By the time you get to Hanksville, UT (on 24) you will see low to mid-70s pretty easy. Later in April will see temperatures start into the higher 70s on a good day.

Do you plan to go back south toward Blanding and into SW Colorado? The Durango

Old 05-01-2008, 10:19 AM
Blind Boy Grunt
Intermediate

Well, how'd it go?