Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Heated Vest - Who uses them?

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2008, 06:31 PM
Buster747
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Heated Vest - Who uses them?

Hi folks,
I'm new to the forum and am looking to make a long (great north west) road trip soon.
My concern is the use of a heated vest. It has been highly recommended that I get one before I go.
You see, I live in Florida and don't have a clue as to where to start looking or what to look for.
Can anyone recommend a good buy in a heated vest, where to get it, biggest bang for the buck and other things to look for.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated

Old 02-29-2008, 06:43 PM
bikergirl40
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Heated Vest - Who uses them?

1st off ... Welcome to the forum.

We have heater jackets and use them often. Never travel without them. They extend riding seasons and a welcomed comfort when traveling in higher elevations. I have driven in some pretty darn cool temps and would be in tears had I not worn mine. Mine is one of my most cherished pieces of riding equipment.

I much prefer having the full jacket as opposed to the vest only. I love that it has a high collar because I can pull it right up over my chin and relish in the warmth. LOVE it!

Old 02-29-2008, 06:49 PM
allikanbe
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Heated jacket liner from www.gerbing.com a heated vest makes for cold arms.
i also have heated gloves and socks. gerbing makes the HD heated gear. HD adds about $30 to the glove price.

Old 03-01-2008, 09:02 AM
KraZeeInOhio
Advanced

The best investment I've made is heated gear for riding and always have them with me in the Fall, Winter and Spring.

I have Widder Enterprises http://www.widder.com/ vest, gloves, chaps and the electronic thermostat controller. They make a great product and have excellent customer service.

As others have posted, Gerbing makes the HD heated clothes and they do offer a jacket or a vest, heated socks and a dual controller (regulate heat differently between vest/jacket & gloves).

Old 03-01-2008, 09:06 AM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Forget Widder....going out of business....Warranties expire in December:
http://www.widder.com/html/Warranty/index.htm

Gerbings can't be beat. I also prefer the jacket liner over the vest. I don't leave home without them most of the time. Even on a cool summer night, they heat sure feels good under a light jacket.

Old 03-01-2008, 05:30 PM
UGlide
Advanced

Tour Master has a line of heated gear which is, I think, cheaper than Gerbings. I bought it for my wife and she is happy with it.
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...ket-Liner.aspx

Old 03-01-2008, 08:02 PM
skootchnc
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 502 Likes on 260 Posts

Gerbing jacket liner and gloves..... I grew up in NJ, and rode year round, but I was a dumbazz....well?? I was younger, anyway.... I'm oder now, and cold gets to me.
We rode to Wilmington NC on a cold January day... was low 40's and we high tailed it on the interstate.... The locals were holding onto coffee cups trying to get feeling in their hand, and after 140 miles, my hands were WARM !

On the bright side, I stumbled across this deal online Gran prix motorsports in Littleton Colorado has a 20% off sale on
Gerbings..... oh?? you'll have to wait a long time, but the warmth you enjoy next winter will be worth it

Discount code GERB001 thats (GERB zero zero one)

you can't beat that.... even with their slow shipping

edited to add link ( might help eh?)
http://www.grandprixmotorsports.com/eshopdetail_cat_2299.Gerbings_Catalogs_.htm

Ps Gerbing, as it has been pointed out makes the HD gear.... you want that logo?? go on a pay extra for it, but you won't be any wamer

Old 03-01-2008, 09:58 PM
mike@nhca.us
Tourer

I know some will think the Harley electric coat and gloves are noobish and more expensive than others. Probably.

But they are good quality, wicked warm and I want leather on my gloves, nothing else. The snowmobile stuff (gerbing) and the bmw stuff does not offer that.

The tourmaster stuff looks good too...and I like the glove mounted thermostat. But I have never seen in person, the others I have.

I did have a widder set for years (15+) but somehow they shrank til my wife wore it (Me gain weight, naw).
I would not worry about warranty, they lasted forever.

Just my two cents

Mike

Ps I also agree with jacket verse vest, had both, like jacket better both use small amount of space.

Old 03-01-2008, 11:26 PM
coastrider
Road Master

I prefer the jacket liner to the vest. With the liner I can plug the gloves into the jacks at the ends of the sleeves. Never had the need for pants and socks but have friends who swear by them. They bought Gerbing and are happy with them. I bought HD, on sale, and have been happy with them. They sure extend the riding season.

Ride Safe.

Old 03-02-2008, 12:48 AM
chappy
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

here's the scoop, or at least my .02 cents.
I live in the cooler part of the country, New England. We have a short riding season so we try our best to lengthen out time in the saddle as much as we can.

Get Gerbings, 1st off thatswho makes the heated gear for Harley. The purchase of girbings are less money than Harley, has a better warranty, the heat controls are betterand best yet, all the plugs are the same, so interchangable is not a problem.

I have the coat liner with single heat control, it powers right of my Batt with an inline3 amp fuse.
My Wife has the same set up that I do. We both also have the quick disconnect for safty and storag. Best part, we both have the heated gloves also, and the gloves plug right in to the base of the sleeves of each coat,

Lots of mornings the hills and valleysare very chili and on top of the high hills its down right cold.This cold last from the time you leave early to maybe 9am or little later. You can turn them down, shut them off or I take them off and sto-itintill much later in the day when it cools down agin,When the sun starts going downit gets colder at a much quiker rate. Nightis just colder...We keep our gear on the bike and we put it on at the frist sign of chili weather has hit, check them out http://www.gerbing.com/Products/liners.php Best way to deal with cold riding 40* or colder
chappy

Quick Reply: Heated Vest - Who uses them?