Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Is it the Journey or the Destination?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2008, 12:48 AM
bruce sg08
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is it the Journey or the Destination?

I see this slogan everywhere, everybody yells out its the journey? I think I want both, have to have a destination or at least a planned destination.Just wonder aimlessly down the road, I tried that once nothing to look forward to. The journeycan be most of the fun if you have good roads, but if not it just sucks and no destination to salvage anything. What do you think? ( bare with me its winter, I'm bored, andworking midnights.

Old 02-14-2008, 01:22 AM
doc_cj
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Is it the Journey or the Destination?

Got to answer that two ways:

1. Long trips usually have destinations in mind. As an example, on a coast to coast I want to see X sites along the way, so it becomes a series of short destinations. I'll run from X to Y today with the plan to see A,B & C in between.

2. Short trips are usually more of the journey. Just getting out and riding. There are lots of great places to ride around where I live (5 national parks within 2 hours of the front door) so there's usually never a shortage of destinations to make the journey interesting. But the real purpose is just riding, and the journey gives me a direction to head.

Old 02-14-2008, 10:55 AM
jeffbarb17
Road Captain

I have more fun riding than i do when i'm stopped. IMO most big cities are the same where ever you go...yes some have there things to do that other cities don't, but there is no greater feeling than the roads that lead there. Even small towns are mostly the sameexcept motels are cheaper than the big ones. I take long rides each year and to me the only great destination is home....but the sights of the roads that eventually bring you back is what riding is all about.

In life it certainly isn't the destination....it's the journey!

LIFE IS GREAT.....WE ALL RIDE.

[IMG]local://upfiles/48412/D28962CF7CB0478E925CA47EA3C990E8.jpg[/IMG]

Old 02-16-2008, 11:15 PM
eleutheros
Road Master
Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts

It's the journey, riding, that's important, but I've found I need a destination, or 2, instead of just going out, around, then coming home.

It's funny, in no helmet law states, I'd hop on the bike to make a quick run to the store for groceries or tools or parts, but in a helmet law state, I'd rather drive the cage.

Old 02-17-2008, 07:48 PM
DanTMan
Road Master
Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

I've done both- the journey (nowhere in particular to go, no time constraints) and the destination (knowing where, when, and how long I've got). I love them both.

The thing I like best about riding is the small, seeminly insignificant things I see on the road, and the great people I meet. Riding into a small town and stopping at a local diner for lunch can be an adventure. The bike is usually a great conversation starter, and I've come across some of the best recommendations fo restaurants, bars, routes, etc., just by asking.

Getting out on the road to me is as close to complete freedom as anything I know. No job stress, no worries, just the road and a good machine under me.

In April 2009 I'm going to retire from full-time work (I'll still do teaching and consulting, but only as much as I want to do), and in June 2009 I'm going to ship my bike ('06 FLHTCI) to Seattle. I'll fly out there from Chicagoand ride up to see my son in Alaska (about 2500 miles Seattle to Fairbanks). I'll have my wife fly up to Alaska, stay there for 4-5 days, she'll fly home and I'll ride back via Canada. I'm already planning the trip. For me it will be the first time in my life that I won't have to worry about getting back to work on time.

I'll beretiring from being a Cop for 35 years, so this will be a combination "Congratulations on making it your entire career without getting either killed or very seriously injued, and Happy 60th Birthday Trip". I'm already planning it, have bought several books on the Alaska-Canada Highway, bought a new "First Gear" riding jacket and pants, and I can't wait. Life is good.

Old 02-19-2008, 11:00 PM
cmcsns
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Without a doubt the journey, a destination gives me a direction. I ride out of Crystal River, Fl. when I'm back in the States, keep my bike at a bros house. A day might start like: "I'm feeling a bowl of gumbo, whaddaya think"? "Hmm, there's that joint in Pensacola that's good or we could go to New Orleans"? "Let's do em both, ya need gas"? "Back roads"? "Yup". And the journey begins..... with some gumbo at the end

Old 02-20-2008, 04:33 AM
waterdog
Tourer
Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

It's all about the RIDE.

Somefolks just need adestination as anexcuse to ride.

Old 02-20-2008, 11:02 AM
theiceman
Advanced

check this out;
california Hwy 49 in february
temp was 67deg. at 11:00 am aprox 15 miles from the town of Mariposa
this is what makes owning a harley worth it.

[IMG]local://upfiles/50148/406C80E0EB674EA3AD421AD745C6B383.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/50148/6DB2D6D69C774ED290D971C246C60099.jpg[/IMG]

Old 02-21-2008, 12:56 AM
nomad billy
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

The destination is home,the journey is getting there.

Old 02-21-2008, 01:02 AM
Mississippi Bagger
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's the ride. Many times the destination can be some icing on the cake.

Today I had a destination, round trip via freeway would have been 40 miles. I took some backroads that I knew to get there and get my business done, on the way back I got "lost" exploring some new (to me) back roads and ended up riding 100+ miles.

For me, exploring (The Ride) is at least 90%.

Quick Reply: Is it the Journey or the Destination?