Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Info needed on San Antonio, Tx area

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 11:56 PM
07RK/Gaub
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Info needed on San Antonio, Tx area

Headed to the San Antonio area the last week of April. I'm looking for a lil info on where to stay and what to see. Plan on spending a couple of days in San Antonio then hitting the roads to the west. I heard a lot about the "Three Twisted Sisters," I think they are called. (Hwy 335, 336, and 337.) What roads would be nice to ride, what sites to seeand where would be the best places to stay? Don't plan on making any reservations so we will be able to stop where ever we feel like. Don't want to be tied down.

Thanks for the info in advance.

Old 01-30-2008, 06:26 PM
texasgrant
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Info needed on San Antonio, Tx area

Wherever you go, you'll have a great time. I live west of Houston now, but spent four years in Austin while attending the University of Texas at Austin and still have family that lives there.

If you pull out the map, in the entire space between I-10 and I-35 north of San Antonio, you can't go wrong. I have heard about the twisted sisters, but haven't ever investigated to find out exactly what they are. Spend some time riding in and around Fredericksburg, you can take FM 965 north out of Frederickburg and ride up past Enchanted Rock. I put a little write up on another Road Trip string talking about the area as being the seat of the Texas Wine Country (if you're into that, a lot of the wines there aren't bad). Wherever you ride in the Hill Country, you can't go wrong for food and views.

Enjoy your trip!

Old 01-30-2008, 07:42 PM
07RK/Gaub
Advanced

texasgrant, I found your other write up later after I had already posted. Great info. Thanks, I'm looking forward to the trip.

Old 01-30-2008, 08:15 PM
Eddy G
Road Master
Received 28 Likes on 14 Posts

If you like to eat and or drink make sure you walk along the river walk. It's very cool. Theres a small Harley retail shop next to the Hard Rock and a pretty cool museum on the corner if your in to taxidermy and or guns. Of course there's always the ALAMO "Remember the Alamo"

Old 01-31-2008, 04:29 AM
doctorharrison
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

see my thread a half page down:

https://www.hdforums.com/m_2733202/tm.htm

but especially:
http://www.hillcountrycruising.com

and then if you still need more (with all credit due to the other contributors from the other thread):

•leaving from San Antonio take State Hwy 16N to Bandera(cowboy capitol of Texas).

On this ride we head south out of Kerrville to Bandera, Texas, " The Cowboy Capital of the World". Bandera is a 35 mile ride on Highway 16 South

There are quit a few different ways to ride to Bandera. The most direct, but slightly longer way to go is to take Highway 16 South through Kerrville. Highway 16 South changes from a 4 lane road to a two lane once you get over the hills in South Kerrville. If you are a new rider or a beginner this may NOT be the route for you to take. There are a few very sharp turns as you get over the hills into Medina that can unnerve the new rider. One of the turns in particular with have you down into second gear or maybe even into first gear. Once you are past the sharp turns, the rest of the ride is very scenic passing many ranches before coming into Medina.
After you pass the mountain and sharp turns you will see Koyote Ranch on your right heading south on Highway 16. Koyote Ranch offers motorcycle camping and lodging along with gas, food and hospitality. Most weekends the outdoor bar and patio is packed with motorcyclists

Medina, Texas is a very small town with a population of 250. When you enter Medina keep in mind the speed limit is reduced and inforced. Worthy of a stop while in Medina is the Cider Mill and Country Store at Love Creek Orchards. They have everything from gifts to apple ice cream. Their apple pie is truly my favorite. It reminds me of the apple pie that my grandma made.
If you are passing through Medina in the morning hours and are looking for breakfast, stop at Keese's Bar B Q across from the Medina Post Office. The fine, friendly folks at Keese's serve up a big hearty breakfast that is tough to beat anywhere. If you walk away hungry it is your own fault. Of course they also serve excellent barbeque foods throughout the day as well. Once you are thru the town of Medina, you are about half way to Bandera. Once out of Medina the road is mostly flat with plenty of gentle curves as the road follows a path along the banks of the Medina River. Continue on Highway 16 South until you come to the stop light in Bandera at the intersection of State Highways 16 and 173.
Continue straight thru the light into town and you will see the main shopping district, restaurants and watering holes.

Bandera is a small town (population 950) rich in early western history. Bandera is " The Cowboy Capital of the World." Many champion cowboys have come out of Bandera County. After the Civil War, Bandera was used as a staging area for cattle drives to Dodge City and beyond. Each year during Labor Day weekend, Bandera holds a longhorn cattle drive through the streets of Bandera.
on Main Street is Arkey Blue’s Silver Dollar which is another spot to visit for live music. A favorite spot in Bandera among the biker crowd is the 11th Street Cowboy Bar. It is one block west of Main Street. Look for all the parked motorcycles, you can't miss them.
If you are looking for a bite to eat in Bandera I highly recommend Busbee’s BBQ. The food can't be beat. OST restaurant also offers good food and service. The breakfast at OST is as good as it gets!
One other place worth visiting while in Bandera is the Frontier Times Museum on 13th St.
Bandera is a very friendly town when it comes to motorcycles and on most weekends the town is full of bikes. Please...respect the laws of Bandera and the many pedestrians and horses that are on the streets in Bandera. We want to be welcomed back time and time again.
Alternatives to Highway 16 South - Highway 173 South
Another excellent route to Bandera is to take Highway 173 South out of Kerrville, straight into Ban

Old 01-31-2008, 03:59 PM
texasgrant
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

07rk/gaub,

Glad to share. I love Texas and am glad people enjoy riding around this state.

DoctorHarrison,

I've lived in this state nearly my entire life and I can't say I've ever been as thoroughly descriptive of the Hill Country's stops and haunts as you. Very cool. I think I'll print this out as a guide for my next trip.

By the way, we were probably unknowingly walking past each other while in Bandera. I, along with my family, spent most of the day walking around main street (including the bars/restaurants you mention) on Saturday, Jan. 19. It was a beautiful day to ride.

Old 01-31-2008, 06:41 PM
07RK/Gaub
Advanced

Thanks guys. Plenty of info to go on now. Looking forward to the trip. We'll be there the last week of April if God says the same.

Old 05-03-2008, 02:45 PM
07RK/Gaub
Advanced

Just got back from a week in the foothills. In a word awesome. Used the info you guys gave and the hillcountrycruising web site to get around. Also did a little exploring of our own and found a scenic lunch spot on a Crabapple Creek crossing. Fully enjoyed our time there and will definitely be back soon. The roads around the Kerrville area, in my opinion were exciting to ride and every bit as challenging as the Tennessee area (The Tail Of The Dragon). We seen everything from roadrunners to a rattle snake.
Really enjoyed the steak night at the 11th Street Cowboy Bar, first steak night I've been to where you bring and cook your own meat. Great chance to meet some locals and listen to the live band. Also was able to lay back, relax and listen to some locals do some guitar picking in Luckenbach.
Missed the Lone Star Motorcycle Museum, it was closed when we passed by and ran into some serious road work on 470, but hey that's two reasons to got back.
Thanks again for all the info.

Old 05-04-2008, 06:23 AM
doctorharrison
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Info needed on San Antonio and just back from Cabo...

Glad to been able to help. It is great riding especially on the Three Sisters (gas up first!).

Just back last night from Cabo San Lucas. Mexico. We rented bikes from HD dealership there - '07 Road Kings -and did a 225 mile loop. If anyone's interested, let me know and I'll post up the info.

Ride Safe