Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Estes Park, CO Ride

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 03:21 PM
gsimerma@amfam.com
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Estes Park, CO Ride

July 14 - 18 some Friends and I (the gals will be with us too) are going to stay at Estes Park to do some Rockey Mountain Riding. We have never been there so are looking for some must see/do ideas. We have 3 main rides planed.1 - East through RM State Park on 34 past Lake Granby then 40 south to 70. East on 70 to 119 north throuth Nederland and back to Estes Park. 2 - east on 34, north on 56/27, west on 14 to Walden, south on 125 and then back up 34 and through RMSP to Estes Park. 3 - ride to Loveland, Greeley and Denver to visit HD Dealers for some new T-shirts. Any ideas???

Old 01-14-2008, 04:00 PM
bub2007
Cruiser
Default RE: Estes Park, CO Ride

Let me start with, You will love it!! My buddies and I rode out there last year. We rode to Wyoming, Grand tetons,Yellowstone, Beartooth,Cody and all around there. And on our way back We went through Colorado And went through Estes Park. And my buddies and I thought that was the best place we had went on this trip. We had a great time. If we had todo it all over again, we would had just stayed there for a week and rode around. I heardAspen is a nice area. Durango is a nice place to ride around. I rode trough there about 3 years ago. Hope you have a nice trip......

Old 01-14-2008, 04:28 PM
Dirty Dan
Advanced

Beautiful ride-bring warm clothes, it gets cold up there, even in july,and watch for elk, they were along the road when we were there

Old 01-14-2008, 09:59 PM
bobcowan
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The road should be open by that time. It usually is - but not always. So be sure and watch road conditions before you go. As has been said, be prepared for just about anything weather wise.

#1 and #2 are some of my favorite rides in CO. You couldn't pick better routes. Take your time, stop a lot, and be sure to look behind you. The view is differant in the other direction.

You might also consider going up Mt. Evans. Highest paved road in North America.

You've picked the right direction to go in, too. Always go up in the AM, because the view is better and it will probably be wet in the afternoon. Less traffic, too.

#3, not so much. I'm not a huge fan of visiting dealerships unless I need something. But, whatever floats your boat.

There's a pretty good german restaurant in Nederland. The BBQ joint in Grand Lake is pretty darn good, too.

Lots of good food in Estes Park. For breakfast, I usually hit the bagel place across the parking lot from McDonalds. Excellent egg and bagel sandwich. Pretty good lunch there, too. The Estes Park Brewery makes a good burger, and a great beer chili. The onion rings are killer.

Got a hotel? I usually stay at The Inn on Fall River. Away from the town center, actually on the Fall River. Most rooms have a gas BBQ, fridge, and a microwave. I usually cook dinner on the patio. Price is pretty good, too.

Sigh. I need a road trip.

Old 01-15-2008, 10:49 AM
gsimerma@amfam.com
Advanced

Thanks for the info. We are really looking forward to the trip. It will be my first long bike ride. I know what you mean on the dealership ride. I would rather ride the hills but the girls want to do some HD clothes shopping. Imagine that. How long do you think it would take to complete the two rides? We don't have any rain gear. What should I look for in a good set?

Old 01-15-2008, 08:35 PM
bobcowan
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Each circle is a full days ride. You could rush it and do it in less, but why would you? Hit up the dealerships on the way back from those rides, you'll save time.

For raingear, I have standard H-D 2 piece stuff. Been using it for quite a few years now.

Old 01-15-2008, 08:49 PM
Dirty Dan
Advanced

check out frogg toggs rain gear, its what I use, sold at Bass pro shops or cabelas, super light weight and small packaging is ideal for motorcycles, never got a drop of rain with them and reasonably priced compared to HD stuff, my .02

Old 01-16-2008, 04:42 PM
gsimerma@amfam.com
Advanced

If there were no HD Shops, Bas Pro Shopsor Cabelas I'd be a rich man.

Old 01-16-2008, 05:25 PM
Mikey 1450
Road Master
Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

You will really enjoy this trip. If you have the time ride down to Colorado springs and check out Pikes Peak. Anywhere west of Denver is Great motorcycle riding.

[/align]

Old 01-16-2008, 05:57 PM
antrome
Cruiser

A couple of buddies and I did that ride last year. You guys are in for some amazing sceenery. If you have the opportunity try and make us 550 thru Durango you won't be dissapointed. I will try and post some picks of the elk in RM nat. park (if I can figure out how).

Quick Reply: Estes Park, CO Ride