Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Suggestions.....

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2007, 02:28 PM
tomv8541
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suggestions.....

Planning a roadtrip from Clarksville, TN(40min North of Nashville) to Southern California. Just looking for some tips. I'm trying to avoid running the interstates as much as possible. I have been looking online, but haven't really found anything..Any help would be appreciated....

Old 11-20-2007, 02:01 PM
beltfedM60E3
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Suggestions.....

Pick up US 82 off of I20 down in 'Bama. It'll run you all the way out to Alamogordo,NM. Looks like you could run US 70 from NM to Phoenix. I10 into SoCal...
You a STA bubba?

Old 11-22-2007, 08:46 AM
t059736
Road Captain
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Good day. You might want to use the internet and "Google"
Harley-Davidson Experience Great Roads.
That site lists the top 50 favorite rides of HD riders.
If your in eastern California don't miss riding the old "49'er"
Gold Rush trail. Be prepared to scrap your floorboards.
The locals "show no mercy" on hairpin corners.
Safe riding.
Cheers
G

Old 12-23-2007, 04:36 AM
doc_cj
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A couple years ago I ran southern Utah to the Tail of the Dragon and then back around through Indianapolis, St. Louis, Kansas City, Denver and then home again. Hard not to use the interstates for that kind of trip, but if you've got the time then it can be done Here's a couple suggestions for you ...

1. Route 66 out of Tulsa to Oklahoma City. This will follow I-44 more than anything else, but it's part of the original mother road.

2. NE Oklahoma -- US Route 62 Westville to Tahlequah (Tal-le-qwah). You'll go right by Proctor Mountain (outise Proctor) and this is one of the better places to ride a bike in that part of the sate.

3. NE Oklahoma -- Claremore to Spavinaw on State Route 20. This will keep you off a good part of both I-40 (E-W from Ft. Smith, Ark. to OKC) and I-44 (Tulsa to OKC). It has a fairly decent set of twisties along the way, especially for the central plains regions, and the little towns are friendly spots to stop for a bite or to get gas.

4. NW Oklahoma -- Gloss Mountain trek. Go northwest out of Oklahoma City to Enid, OK, then head west on 412. Just as you come through Orienta you'll see the Gloss Mountains. Not really mountains (at least not by Colorado or Utah standards), more like plateaus, but they are fairly interesting for that area. They are called the Gloss Mountains because of the quartz and other minerals that reflect sunlight -- makes them look like they have bits of glass spread across them.

5. NE New Mexico -- If you find yourself in the Oklahoma or Texas Panhandle, especially north of Amarillo, TX, then consider Springer to Clayton on US Route 56. It's not necessarily a great "twisty" road -- in fact it's pretty average for that type of riding -- but it is a nice road away from the interstate type of New Mexico driving in that area.

6. Central, Central-North New Mexico -- head north of Albuquerque to Santa Fe. Visit the old mission district, you'll like it. Then head out on Route 4 north of town until you hit 502, which will take you to Bandelier National Monument. This is where you'll find the ancestors of the modern Pueblo Indians. This will also take you toward Los Alamos and eventually to Jemez Spring, NM, on 501. I usually stay on it back to San Ysidro, NM, and catch up with I-40 for a bit.

7. Southern Colorado instead of northern New Mexico. If you can do it (time is the culprit here) then go on up to southern Colorado for part of teh trip. Run north on I-25 if you have to (out of Santa Fe) to Walsenberg. Then run the Walsenberg to the Four Corners run right through some of the best riding country you'll ever want to find. This is US Route 160, and it will take you through Wolfcreek Pass, Durango, Cortez, and on to the Four Corners area. The Four Corners, of course, is the ONLY place in the US where 4 states come together to tough at one point.

8. Southern Utah. Of course this is where I live and therefore one of the places I love to ride. I say come over to Medicine Hat then head back north toward Hanksville and on to Highway 12. The run along Highway 12 to US-89 will be one of the best of your life. The road pass through Red Canyon, Bryce Canyon National Park, the Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument, and over Boulder Mountain into the Dixie National Forest. You will also have a chance to see Capitol Reef National Park before heading south on US89 to the entrance of Zion National Park. And if you stay a bit farther north before going to Zion then pop into Cedar City (my home) to catch a Broadway show at the Tony Award Winning Utah Shakespearean Festival.

Here's a couple pics of spots you'll see in southern Utah...

On the road to Hanksville, UT ...

[