Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Maine/East coast June or July

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2007, 03:05 PM
bigdoghd
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Maine/East coast June or July

We I've been wanting to take a two week trip and have been having trouble trying to figure out where? I'm looking at maybe late June or early July. My thoughts are that it would be to hot to go out west or southwest? I've never really been out east, thinking of furthers tip if Maine and then coming down the coast and then back up65 or 57? Any thoughts?

Old 11-05-2007, 06:27 PM
Ugly Troll
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: Maine/East coast June or July

Well, if you're doing a coastal trip coming down from northern Maine, then ya gotta do rt 1A! That's about as scenic a ride as you're gonna get in that area! Beautiful! Try to catch the sunrise/sunsets along the coast............lots of typical tourista trap places all along the way, but they don't interfere with the spectacular scenery! And lots and lots of way yummy eateries! Hope you like seafood! IF you dare trek into downtown Boston, arguably one of the very best of the best seafood places in the world would have to be "Ye Olde Union Oyster House"...............It is the oldest continuously operating eatery in the US! Located on Union Street in Government Center, easy to get to (Ok, easy if you're familiar/comfortable with the Beanpot!) reasonable prices, great service........(NO I do not work there and have no vested interest in the place! LOL) Anyway, I'm sure there are lots of others who can give you more details on different routes and places to see etc.......I'm actually out in the boonies in western Mass............if you wanna know about rides out here I can help with that! Good luck

Troll

Old 11-07-2007, 01:24 PM
bigdoghd
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks Troll, I though I would have gotten a lot of imput on this trip.

Old 11-12-2007, 04:43 PM
BillyO
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get in touch w/me if you want by Email. I have been travellin' the roads of northern NE all my life. I have more than a few favorites.
BillyO

Old 11-20-2007, 07:30 PM
flibuoy
Extreme HDF Member
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Below Portsmouth the coast is dunes then stony, gradually getting more spectacular north od Portland. If you go through Portland DeMillo's (?) floating restaurant is on water ...duh....looks pricey but food is spectfriggintacular. Bar Harbor has Cadillac mountain to ride up and get great views. Tons of small communities from Boston right on up so be mindful of the noise and keep em happy for when I show up in future

[IMG]local://upfiles/20872/9D88ADE45C1145DFB3A17E29CCAF5661.jpg[/IMG]

Old 12-21-2007, 11:28 AM
jeffbarb17
Road Captain

IF YOU'RE HEADING UP FROM TN THEN YOU COULD CHECK OUT THE WHITE A GREEN MOUNTAINS IN NH. MOUNT WASHINGTON IS A BEAUTIFUL RIDE TOO. WHEN YOUR COMING BACK YOU COULD ALSO GO THROUGH NY STATE AND LAKE PLACID. IF YOU GO UP THE EAST COAST AND NEED ROADS TO TAKE YOU BACK HOME TELL ME.......I WILL PUT TOGETHER A FEW GREAT ROADS FOR YOU.

RIDING JUST AS IN LIFE......IT'S NOT THE DESTINATION...............IT'S THE JOURNEY!!!!

Old 12-21-2007, 03:40 PM
Jonny Cannon
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm watching this thread also - I'm heading that way around the second week of July. Probably head south from Kingston, Ontario. Going to hit Finger Lakes, Lake Placid, etc, and wind my way East back into St. Stephen, NB.

Cannon

Old 12-23-2007, 03:46 PM
Pine Tree

Received 1,964 Likes on 463 Posts

June into July is prime Black Fly season...the couple hours around sunrise and sundown has the most bugs. Of course deer and moose can be an issue too. Bikes normally fit under moose...riders do not.

Coastal areas well north of Portland are rideable. Portland south to about Virginia is one large surburban area. The more "famous" beaches in southern Maine include Old Orchard, Ogunquit, and York Beach. Northern areas are mostly rocky. Note: the ocean water is COLD! June and July the water temps may get to 50 or 55. Summer traffic in southern Maine (especially coastal areas) can be very bad and very slow. Winter populations of a few hundred in some small towns swell to several hundred thousand in the summer and can clog roads for hours.

Inland Maine offers some nice riding as well. Temps can get quite cool at night and day temps can reach into the 90's (first year I lived there it got to 107) but is generally in the upper 70's to low 80's.

Enjoy the ride in whatever direction you take...most of Maine is life in the slow lane.

Old 12-27-2007, 10:31 AM
Mikevr007
Novice

To expand on what Pine Tree said...

I was born and raised in Maine, have family in Maine and New Hampshire. The weather, anytime of year, can change quite rapidly. Just something to keep in mind.

Also...

If you like twisty rides you should make the Kancamagus part of your ride. It's pretty easy to get to and can lead you in the direction of eastern Maine.

Take I-93 from the south (or 3 if you'ld rather stay of the interstate) and go east on 112 (Kancamagus) in North Woodstock. You'll be heading toward Conway. Take your time on the Kancamagus, there are a lot of places to pull over and things to see, if you're in to that sort of thing. Besides it's less than 35 miles long. In Conway go north on 16. This will take you past Mt. Washington. Ride up the auto road, you'll be glad you did. In Gorham go east on 2. This will take you in to Maine.

There are many more roads in the Mt. Washington area and on both sides of the Maine/NH border, 113 comes to mind. A narrow two lane that's closed in the winter. Bumpy in spots, but almost entirely shaded so it makes a nice cool ride in the summer. Some good spots along the way to stop for a picnic. If you want to hit it, it's on the right off of 2 after you cross in to Maine. Go south on 113 until you come to 302. Take a left and head for the coast!

Wish I were going!!!

Old 01-08-2008, 02:02 AM
Jonny Cannon
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, for me, the ride is confirmed. I'll be heading out July 6th after work. I'll be leaving Canada via the Cornwall border crossing July 7th. Heading around Lake Placid & I think Lake Champlain, then aiming for the East Coast. Going to cruise up the coast into St. Stephen, New Brunswick, and from there to the Cabot Trail again.

Cannon

Quick Reply: Maine/East coast June or July