Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Trip to New Hampshire in October Planned

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2007, 03:46 PM
campdreamer47
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Trip to New Hampshire in October Planned

Hi everyone or anyone who can help. We have a trip to the white Mountains of New Hampshire planned for Ealry October. What should we expect for temp's at that time of year? Will there be lots of place's to stay? Does the area role up the carpet and shut down after the summer is over etc? We want to do the Kant and stay somewhere real close to Maine or just into New Hampshire because of time constraints so any idea's would be appreciated. Let me know all and any advice for this 4 day trip from New Brunswick Canada. We will go down US Route 2 most likely.

Cameron

Old 09-10-2007, 03:51 PM
hspring03
Elite HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 49 Posts
Default RE: Trip to New Hampshire in October Planned

I'm sure someone from NH will chime in. I'm in MA The fall is one of the busiest seasons in NH...Foliage, hiking trails etc....I'd try to secure a place to stay before you head out, as in start looking now.

Weather is a crap shoot...Welcome to New England...Temps can be anywhere from 50-75 during the day to 20-50 at night. Plan for anything.

Old 09-13-2007, 03:12 PM
Mike1397
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im from Mass also..but check out North Conway NH..easy access to the Kanc and several good hotels and restaurants there. May be crowded with the leaf peepers tho!! Weather is generally dry but temps can fluctuate.

Old 09-14-2007, 07:20 PM
campdreamer47
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the info. I am sure surprised in regards to replys though because I am damn sure there are many forum members who have a wealth of info on New Hampshire. Some times it still appears that if you post some thing like... who wears the best underwear or who can **** the farthest[sm=boink3.gif] you get 1000 post's.

Anyway I have found out more info on line. Maybe I should post in the general chat section. Hope it's not because I am Canuck[sm=smiley28.gif]

Old 09-15-2007, 08:52 PM
Woodchuck
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

We took a trip to Nova Scotia through New Brunswick last summer and took Rte 2 through Maine to Bangor. It's about the best way across Maine - not too many small towns to slowyou down. Watch out for deer and moose especially near the Me/NH border. Don't take Rte 202 because it is real slow due to so many small towns with 35 mph speed limits.Rte 2 dumps you right into the Mt Washington valley in the White Mountain National Forest. From there you can go south on Rte 16 to the Kancamagus. Everyone does the Kanc between Conway and Lincoln.If you continue west on Rte 112 west of Lincoln, there's some nice country out that way. Avoid North Conway/Conway on the weekends. There are a bunch of merchandise outlets there that attract the yuppies like moths to flame. You can spend a lot of time in a traffic jam.
A route I like is Rte 113/113A throughtheSandwhich area.

As for the foliage"schedule",Ispeak the obvious that the peakmoves from north to south. The peak inthenorth is around the last week in September to thefirst week inOctober. Mid-state peak follows a week later and the peak foliage in the southern part of NH/VT is mid to lateOctober.

Everyone flocks to NH/VT/ME onComumbus Day long weekend- the weekend of October 12th. If you don't have reservations, you most likely won't find lodging in the tri-state area that weekend. Any other time in October is busy but you should be able to find lodging if you start looking early.

Temperatures USUALLY are in the lower 40's in the morning and warm up to the mid 60's to 70 in the afternoon. Bring your Canadian cold weather gear. If you're lucky enough to get some Indian Summer (warm weather after a killing frost), the temperatures may reach 80 degrees.