Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

The Whole Hog Ride

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2024 | 07:21 PM
h-d wrencher
|
Stellar HDF Member
Default The Whole Hog Ride

Is anyone here familiar with a ride in Arkansas called The Whole Hog Ride? I'm sure someone here has ridden it once or twice. Any info, recommendations on hotels to stay at, places to eat, and stuff like that is appreciated. Thanks!

Old 10-20-2024 | 08:25 PM
Cosmic Razorback
Seasoned HDF Member

It’s been a long time since I heard anyone mention this.

Over many years (long ago) I have pretty much ridden all these roads, but never all together.

https://www.ozarkrides.com/the%20whole%20hog.htm

Good luck with your planning. As for lodging you will have too many options. I look forward to hearing feedback from others.

Old 10-20-2024 | 09:23 PM
h-d wrencher
|
Stellar HDF Member

The link you attached is about all I could find on it along with a couple YouTube videos.

Old 10-22-2024 | 12:24 PM
Brian Sparrow
Tourer

Oark general Store is an awesome place to eat. Several hotels in Harrison, a few years ago, gave room discounts to MC riders.

Old Yesterday | 04:30 PM
road king Q
Road Master

never heard of this...I think it has been busted into named parts for shorter runs... Some excellent roads though
Tell us of your hotel prefs.... I started backwards..sorry, so from west to east beginning at B

Eureka is full. hotels Hint.... calling can get you a little cheaper rates. So can cash. Many are very biker friendly mom and pop places
lots of food as well,
Jasper has a couple of mom and pop hotels. food...Ozark inn .... Low gap inn and Cliff House (a little off your route) are good but not cheap, Subway and a couple of other joints in town
Your route after Jasper is very remote. 91 or higher gas may be rare. Some of the small towns have stores that do sandwiches or chicken strips and the like. But no name restaurants.
Oark they told you about..famous destination. go there, eat another road home
Clarksville has about everything... no harley store. food and beds
clarksville to Marshall again... not much for gas, you might visit the store on Hwy 7, sand gap or Pelsor is the name of the crossroads
Between Falling Water and Witt's Springs on 16 your map shows Slim's BBQ, nice folks and great eats. Hillbilly slims was the name
Marshall has gas and Los locos, a diner..Marshall rest., daisy queen is better than the mcdonalds There are more spots
Gas at Norfork I think?? the station at north end of Push Mt road...hwy 341, has hi octane? they cater to the common bike traffic on that road
Everything in Mountain Home, Yellville has food and gas

VERY incomplete list, ha. But that is what hits first memory. Some of that i do a lot, some not. Most of it on my side...eastern, is in pretty good shape

happy trails!!

The following users liked this post:
Brian Sparrow (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday | 05:44 PM
h-d wrencher
|
Stellar HDF Member

Thanks for the writeup RKO. We usually look for the Mom And Pop places to eat. We like to support the locals and they usually have the best food. We are looking at staying at several hotels along the way. We will be trailering down from Central WI. Yes, trailering. The guy going with me is 76 years old so keep your opinions to yourself. We plan to get a hotel for a night or 2, ride a day or 2, move down the line to another hotel for a night or 2, ride for a day or 2, and so on. What's the weather like in Northern Arkansas during the winter months. We aren't sure when we are heading down there yet. Thanks again RKO!

Last edited by h-d wrencher; Yesterday at 05:46 PM.
Brian Sparrow (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday | 05:48 PM
Brian Sparrow
Tourer

Originally Posted by h-d wrencher
Thanks for the writeup RKO. We usually look for the Mom And Pop places to eat. We like to support the locals and they usually have the best food. We are looking at staying at several hotels along the way. We will be trailering down from Central WI. Yes, trailering. The guy going with me is 76 years old so keep your opinions to yourself. We plan to get a hotel for a night or 2, ride a day or 2, move down the line to another hotel for a night or 2, ride for a day or 2, and so on. What's the weather like in Northern Arkansas during the winter months. We aren't sure when we are heading down there yet. Thanks again RKO!
You don't owe anyone an explanation as to why you will be trailering. Good on you helping out a fellow rider!

cycle7447 (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday | 08:12 PM
road king Q
Road Master

You want a picture of my trailer?? ha Definitely an option, no shaming here

If you can be flexible, winter may work. So far, great weather. That may continue for several weeks. As we move into fronts and dry days after they vary. We often have great days but each front pushes variable air so might be 30s for highs...or pushing 60... nice days with maybe strong south winds...then another front. The storms are to be watched.

January and early Feb might have snow? or ice on the roads. It melts pretty quick a lot of the time...
If you can bounce to a plan B...you may have decent days. By March we are getting back out there. Cold mornings but decent warm ups

Old Yesterday | 08:17 PM
h-d wrencher
|
Stellar HDF Member

We were thinking about end of February beginning of March. Getting tired of the Daytona Bike Week scene and looking for something different.

Old Yesterday | 08:22 PM
road king Q
Road Master

Might have to wait out a wet day with a front passing.... but good chance you have some good weather.
Personally, I LOVE the hills with no leaves. You can see a lot more of the hills. Summer is often just a road thru the trees with leaves blocking the view
That time of year You are going to have several waterfalls visible from the road on your route if we have a wet winter