Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

What say you?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2024, 12:47 PM
kojak
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,800 Likes on 1,359 Posts
Default What say you?

I知 retiring May 1st 2025. Gonna go on a 4-6 week solo trip from Winchester Va starting May15th.
Only destinations planned are Key West in the beginning and Cape Breton on the return. Help plan my trip. I do need to stop in San Jose for family but rest is wide open.

Old 09-01-2024, 03:00 PM
deadhawg
Stellar HDF Member

Received 1,800 Likes on 688 Posts

Originally Posted by kojak
I知 retiring May 1st 2025. Gonna go on a 4-6 week solo trip from Winchester Va starting May15th.
Only destinations planned are Key West in the beginning and Cape Breton on the return. Help plan my trip. I do need to stop in San Jose for family but rest is wide open.
So many good roads but six weeks (or six months) is not enough to ride them all. Since you're going to be in CA, there's a couple roads most would recommend, ride the PCH (Pacific Coast Highway, CA 1) from Cambria to Carmel then to San Jose. My choice from there would be to avoid San Francisco and ride east on 120 to Yosemite, Spend at least a couple days there, including the road to Glacier Point, then through Yosemite to 395 north then 89 to Lake Tahoe then on to Chester then 36 back to the coast and the PCH north from there.

Old 09-01-2024, 06:54 PM
Rocker NH
Grand HDF Member
Received 6,557 Likes on 2,014 Posts

You a couple days after you retire---Good Luck My man--I,m jealous

Old 09-01-2024, 08:09 PM
Cosmic Razorback
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 18,031 Likes on 7,308 Posts

Congratulations, I planning to hang it up on March 31, 2025.

My only comment on Florida and Key West is get down there and out before June. I’ve spent a lot of time in Florida on two wheels and boating. Summer is no fun with the heat and the daily pop up showers. Isle Islamorada is a great place to stay. Easy one day ride to KW and back without being in the middle of all the crazy.

The Best KW trip we did on two wheels was in December. We rode down from I-I on Christmas Day to KW in a t-shirt.

Sounds like an awesome ride!

The following users liked this post:
pgreer (09-02-2024)
Old 09-02-2024, 06:03 AM
Geezr Glidr
Grand HDF Member
Received 262 Likes on 130 Posts

kojak, my only suggestion is WV & western NC. One of my favorites is 33 out of Harrisonburg, all the way to Seneca Rocks, but since you're in Winchester you've probably been on it a few times! Personally, I hate 81 and I avoid it like the plague. After you hit WV, pick a road & work your way over to Beckley & down 77. Then 81 to 26, and a few roads in NC. That's all I can offer! I love WV & western NC, and try to get there a couple times every summer from upstate PA.

Old 09-02-2024, 06:33 AM
NorthWestern
Club Member
Received 6,197 Likes on 3,375 Posts

When you get to the left, go north young man! Across the border and go through Banff and Jasper on your way back to the NS

The following 2 users liked this post by NorthWestern:
Cosmic Razorback (09-02-2024), pgreer (09-02-2024)
Old 09-02-2024, 12:23 PM
kojak
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by NorthWestern
When you get to the left, go north young man! Across the border and go through Banff and Jasper on your way back to the NS
Yup, I'm thinking the same way on the way back.

NorthWestern (09-02-2024)
Old 09-02-2024, 12:30 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,193 Likes on 2,440 Posts

Congrats on your upcoming retirement.

We have a Ride Report Section on our website that you can see HERE. It has thousands of photos and comments of our riding around North America. Should give you some ideas of great places to visit.

Here are some of our top places we like to ride:

Beartooth Pass

Million Dollar Highway

Bryce Canyon

Zion National Park

Eureka Springs area

Smokey Mountains area

Coast of Cali, above San Jose

Black Hills area

There are many more, as seen in the link above, but these are some of our favorites.

Kevin

Old 09-02-2024, 01:04 PM
kojak
Grand HDF Member

Thanks Kevin. Ive ridden most of the areas in Colorado, Utah, S Dakota, Wyoming, Montana. i'm just trying to thread together a doable ride plan from Va to Key West to San Jose and back east to Cape Breton and then down to Va. Think of it as a 3 corners ride. Key West, San Jose, NS. I have little interest in riding in the south and south west outside of making the trek to Key West. From FL, I will probably start a NW trek to the west coast and I like the idea of going up to Vancouver and riding back east through Jasper/Banff.

DK Custom (09-04-2024)
Old 09-02-2024, 06:08 PM
Grandslam
Road Warrior
Received 338 Likes on 209 Posts

Congratulations on your retirement. As mentioned, you need to get KW and the south out of the way EARLY on. Safe travels.

Quick Reply: What say you?