Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Back of The Dragon - How's The Road?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2024, 08:52 PM
bduds65
Road Master
Received 550 Likes on 349 Posts
Lightbulb Back of The Dragon - How's The Road?

To be transparent, I suppose I am not your typical rider in that I prefer roads that are straight or have nice easy curves. I hate switchbacks. I am getting better with experience but honestly unfamiliar curves give me anxiety. Is tight? Is it a mini switchback? Is there gravel? Will the opposing vehicle be over the yellow? Has some bonehead thrown their grass into the road? The one thing that has helped me tremendously is to use by map app on my phone. I can see the turns ahead of time and I don't have to slow down as much if the curves aren't too tight.

All that said, our rider group is heading to the WV and VA this weekend. They are the exact opposite of me and they love the twisties - hence the destination. I will take it easy and no doubt I'll get through it alright. So, my question is, have any of you been on this road recently or even the past few years? How is the actual road condition? Are there serious potholes or blacktop separation? Is the right side bad? I am asking because in PA we have some good roads but many more awful roads and you never know what you're going to get. I ask for myself and as much for my wife. She has her own bike and usually rides on the inside.

Thanks in advance!!

Old 08-27-2024, 05:16 AM
Kozmo
Road Master

Received 368 Likes on 224 Posts

Was great a few weeks ago. Nice and smooth.

The following users liked this post:
bduds65 (08-27-2024)
Old 08-27-2024, 05:22 AM
Scout
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 708 Likes on 340 Posts

It's in decent shape.

Just relax and you will learn to love it. Remember to stay off front brake. Use rear only. A bit higher speed and powering through corners makes riding it easier.

bduds65 (08-27-2024)
Old 08-27-2024, 05:39 AM
gonemad
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,305 Likes on 2,938 Posts

Might be just a smidge more aggressive than what you described you like, but only a smidge. Last time we rode it was spring ‘23. Road was in good shape. No gravel. Just beware any mountainous/hilly region with steep gravel drives connecting to the road after heavy rains, gravel WILL wash into the road.

edit- There’s 50-60% rain chance forecast in Tazewell VA this Friday-Sat-Sun but it doesn’t look to be a heavy rain.

Last edited by gonemad; 08-27-2024 at 06:15 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by gonemad:
bduds65 (08-27-2024), Cosmic Razorback (08-28-2024)
Old 08-27-2024, 05:40 AM
DeeRoe
Road Master

Received 848 Likes on 321 Posts

Was on it a few months ago. Came up through Bristol, TN. It was nice, scenic road, with nothing really "technical" as far as curves are concerned. In other words, you don't have too think to much like you might on a road like the Dragon. The Tail of the Dragon store at the northern end has some decent chow, cold beer, and overpriced T-shirts.

Old 08-27-2024, 06:18 AM
steelpony16
Road Master
Received 143 Likes on 90 Posts

Been on it a few times, the road is in good shape.
I recommend riding it at your pace, single file.

bduds65 (08-27-2024)
Old 08-27-2024, 06:26 AM
bduds65
Road Master
Received 550 Likes on 349 Posts

Thanks for the tips and encouragement! I was looking at Google maps at some of the switchbacks. We have one road locally that I compare it to and honestly most of what I have seen so far appears a little milder than that. I can do switchbacks - albeit slower than most riders. My biggest issue is a tight 180 combined with an immediate elevation change. The road I was referring to has one downhill switchback that is banked "the wrong way" on the inside so the road pushes you out into the other lane. It's very difficult to lean. Hopefully there is little of that

Old 08-27-2024, 07:25 AM
Soundman5000
Cruiser
Received 185 Likes on 100 Posts

From what I see the tail of the dragon was recently repaved!

I have never ridden the Dragon, I may do it one day as I love riding North Carolina but I decided this past year on my brand new Harley, that July 4th weekend on a new bike may not be the best time for me on the dragon as July 4t traffic is just bad. I had this vision ( perhaps a incorrect vision ) of thousands and thousands of young whipper snappers driving thousands of those turbo VW / Subaru whatchamacallits as fast as he / she can take that curve and tight on my rear able to go a lot faster than I choose to go. I do drive aggressively at times but don't like being pushed to go faster from behind.

I think I'm more of a Blue Ridge Parkway kinda guy but I have never tried the dragon so perhaps one day? I have heard it said the North Carolina has so many less crowded curvy roads options with a better view? However, if I had a group headed up I would hop on the bike and go in a second. I would simply tell the group i'll get to the end of the dragon when I get to the end of the dragon and will see you at the hotel and I would simply pull over and let the whatchamacallits pass.
Have fun OP, I wish I was going!

​​​​​​http://tailofthedragon.com/category/dragon-news/

Old 08-27-2024, 07:26 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,088 Likes on 3,646 Posts

I rode it 2 years ago on my Tri Glide and it was curvy but not too bad, wife and I enjoyed it. Very nice road.
follow the speed limit and look at the caution signs. Slow down if you’re not sure.

bduds65 (08-27-2024)
Old 08-27-2024, 08:26 AM
ngshop
Road Master
Received 171 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Soundman5000
From what I see the tail of the dragon was recently repaved!

I have never ridden the Dragon, I may do it one day as I love riding North Carolina but I decided this past year on my brand new Harley, that July 4th weekend on a new bike may not be the best time for me on the dragon as July 4t traffic is just bad. I had this vision ( perhaps a incorrect vision ) of thousands and thousands of young whipper snappers driving thousands of those turbo VW / Subaru whatchamacallits as fast as he / she can take that curve and tight on my rear able to go a lot faster than I choose to go. I do drive aggressively at times but don't like being pushed to go faster from behind.

I think I'm more of a Blue Ridge Parkway kinda guy but I have never tried the dragon so perhaps one day? I have heard it said the North Carolina has so many less crowded curvy roads options with a better view? However, if I had a group headed up I would hop on the bike and go in a second. I would simply tell the group i'll get to the end of the dragon when I get to the end of the dragon and will see you at the hotel and I would simply pull over and let the whatchamacallits pass.
Have fun OP, I wish I was going!

​​​​​​http://tailofthedragon.com/category/dragon-news/

The OP is asking about the "Back of The Dragon in VA"... not the "The Tail of The Dragon" in NC/TN.

The following 3 users liked this post by ngshop:
Buelligan666 (08-27-2024), Redbank (08-28-2024), Soundman5000 (08-29-2024)

Quick Reply: Back of The Dragon - How's The Road?