Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Mexico – suicidal?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2024, 06:46 AM
Soundman5000
Cruiser
Received 185 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by Von_Zipper
Thanks everybody. As said, risks outweigh the fun big time. No go.

@71on72
I'm not going anywhere right now, an active hurricane season is forecast, can't leave wife alone. Our home has been battered several times over last 20 years.
Next spring I will go somewhere. A buddy of mine who has ridden with me has his limitation, he starts feel uneasy when he gets three days ride away from home. He also is still working, will retire 2026. I guess I will go alone. My own limitation is not the range, but the days. I used crisscross Europe in my car, about 12 days and my lust to explore started vanishing and home-sweet-home call got stronger.
I think I will just start with "riding into sunset", without clear route in my mind. I have not been in Yellowstone, if I feel good I may end up there. Then maybe more exploring in Rocky Mountains, I have a soft spot for mountain roads.
I too live at the coast 100 yards from the water, close enough to the water to pay as if I was ocean front but I can't even see the ocean but I have paid for it as in high taxes and high insurance the last 20 years.
a month ago I received a letter that my homeowners insurance was canceling, no longer willing to take the risk in my area so the company is pulling out...

Thats it, The wife and I have decided we are no longer willing to take the risk either!
I decided I have filled my last sand bag with an approaching storm, That knot in my stomach every time a storm appears over the Atlantic, I'm done with hurricane season.

After a few weeks in the mountains we decided riding a twisty is much more fun than a flat, sandy straight line that we ride now.
Yes, I may miss 4 season riding but I wonder if quality is better than quantity?

Perhaps trading a hurricane season for land slides and wild fires ?
I may feel different once hurricane season passes and a mild winter arrives but hurricane seasons living close to the coast and rising water cases stress and I'm all about less stress at this point in my life...

Old 08-20-2024, 10:32 AM
GeneseeGap
Road Master
Received 151 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by Soundman5000
I too live at the coast 100 yards from the water, close enough to the water to pay as if I was ocean front but I can't even see the ocean but I have paid for it as in high taxes and high insurance the last 20 years.
a month ago I received a letter that my homeowners insurance was canceling, no longer willing to take the risk in my area so the company is pulling out...

Thats it, The wife and I have decided we are no longer willing to take the risk either!
I decided I have filled my last sand bag with an approaching storm, That knot in my stomach every time a storm appears over the Atlantic, I'm done with hurricane season.

After a few weeks in the mountains we decided riding a twisty is much more fun than a flat, sandy straight line that we ride now.
Yes, I may miss 4 season riding but I wonder if quality is better than quantity?

Perhaps trading a hurricane season for land slides and wild fires ?
I may feel different once hurricane season passes and a mild winter arrives but hurricane seasons living close to the coast and rising water cases stress and I'm all about less stress at this point in my life...
You're right about the hurricane season causing stress.
I am about 70 miles from Galveston Texas and Hurricane Beryl eyewall (the right front side) came right over our house. It was intense.
So many people here did not prepare and plan.
75 percent of the county where I live had no power for up to a week.
Not many gas stations have generators so lines began to form the day of the hurricane.

We got some battery generators w/ solar. They only do so much when it got so hot right after the storm.

The hurricane was only a cat 1 but it kept its strength for a long time because we had heavy rain in the days before landfall and it was so damn humid with high dew points. The storm did not die down as quickly as most do when they hit the shore....

It is stressful. I'll take the cold winters over that any day.

Old 08-20-2024, 01:49 PM
Von_Zipper
Road Warrior
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

Stress. For me it is an understatement. We bought the place in 2007, some hurricane came and damaged our roof, a tree fell on it and caused "structural damage". Then some other hurricane flooded my shop and the water was at our doorstep, half an inch more and it would have been in the house. Thrill, you say? Nerve wrecking, I say.
Then the historic flood of Louisiana in 2016 flooded our home, 4+ ft in the house for a week. Unfortunately I was in the hospital with stomach cancer and my wife is a blonde airhead, she couldn't manage the situation. We lost practically everything. Saved only cars and my bike. Situation was so dire I contemplated opening a gofundme account. But first I asked here if I can ask for help. One admin said yes and the other said no. Well, so I did not create gofundme, begging really rubbed me in a wrong way anyhow. Then the subsequent radiation treatment practically killed me. When I wanted to complain to my doctor I found he was fired, for malpractice, a nurse whispered. I should have sued, but I'm not the type, can't have my health back so what's the point. I lost 87 lbs during that treatment and was so weak I couldn't ride my bike for four years. Naturally I couldn't keep my job and ended up sitting in a home with no internal walls, no furniture, no nothing. That was the second low point of my life. First was when I wanted terribly to be independent, left home and got a job, spent my first paycheck too fast and had to limit severely my grocery bill for a week. Then I promised myself I will never be broke again and for rest of my life I have always kept my expenses below income. Simple thing the budget balance, but there are people in our government who took care of it in other direction. I just read they have borrowed 3/4 million dollars per taxpayer. Da heck with it.
Oh well, end of off topic rant.

The following users liked this post:
Goose_NC (08-20-2024)