Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Can I still make that long trip....

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2024, 08:02 AM
kojak
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,808 Likes on 1,362 Posts

Every one is different in how they approach riding and what shape they are in. I plan to keep riding till I kick the bucket, might not happen but that’s the goal. That’s what motivates me at 65 to hit the gym regularly every week and stay active. I would go for it, take it at your own pace.

The following users liked this post:
CrBear (03-13-2024)
Old 03-13-2024, 08:12 AM
Candubrain
Road Master
Received 216 Likes on 118 Posts

I am having similar worries......but I keep pushing them down. Turned 66 Dec 2023 and plan to ride my Heritage this May from Canada following Rt 66 staring in Chicago to visit my daughter in LA, then up the PCH to Portland and follow the Lewis & Clarke route along the Columbia River home. I'm giving it 2 weeks minimum 3 week maximum and estimate it to be about 15,000kms. My buddy and I aren't into stopping and visiting attractions, we do that when our wives are along......it's purely riding pleasure.....lol

I'm packing a cooling vest to help with the heat and leaving the mesh jacket at home.......learned from experience on hot days you loose your sweat too fast without getting the benefits resulting in over heating and possible heat stroke

My plan is to stop and stretch every 2 hrs, and average 800kms per day, (500 miles). I drink a bottle of water with each fuel stop and carry a bottle that I sip at between fuel stops. I stay away from chocolate bars and such munching on nuts, trail mixes, etc. Healthy breakfast, light lunch so I don't get drowsy, dinner is what ever appeals that night and a few beers.

You'll only regret not trying
good luck
brian

Last edited by Candubrain; 03-13-2024 at 08:13 AM.
The following 5 users liked this post by Candubrain:
Architect (03-13-2024), Brian Sparrow (03-14-2024), CrBear (03-13-2024), guido4198 (03-19-2024), Stovey85 (03-13-2024)
Old 03-13-2024, 08:37 AM
son of the hounds
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,716 Likes on 1,373 Posts

I walk every morning as well, it helps, mostly with clearing my head. When I was 70, I thought about the bike getting too heavy, especially two up and loaded for a month. Then, I pulled into stop and there was a 5’3” woman that probably weighted 110# if that on an ultra. It was lowered, she had high heeled boots and threw it around like me on my sportster. The thing is, she made it look graceful but stayed well within her limits. I was trying to horse my bagger around like my sporty. I was getting sloppy. I relearned my limits. All slow speed stopped stuff. Got my wife to stop dancing around pointing out things like a parking spot when I slow down or stop. Since then I toured the USA two up, rode to Alaska solo, and more and at 77 I’m heading two up across the USA again this summer.

No it’s a decision we each have to make as an individual. I work hard nearly everyday doing PT so I can ride AND wilderness hunt. Yup, I’ve got two motivations to stave off Norm MacDonalds character in the Simpsons. Good luck (He played the death character)

Good luck moving forward. Either way, we just get one shot at life. Make the most of it.

The following 4 users liked this post by son of the hounds:
Architect (03-13-2024), Brian Sparrow (03-14-2024), CrBear (03-13-2024), Y2K (03-14-2024)
Old 03-13-2024, 10:25 AM
son of the hounds
Grand HDF Member

Oh, and when or if you give up riding, have something else lined up to do. Find something that keeps you body and mind as active as riding. I wilderness hunt, conditioning and mindset wise, these two support each other. I also took up golf. It’s my fill in hobby.

My wife said no more month or longer trips…..this summer, we’ll be three weeks and only two more days ride to her sisters. I think I’ll win this ride. Also, I can live with the complaints, but if I’m going, she’s going. If she doesn’t go for some reason, I’ll be the one with golf clubs in the right hand saddlebag well and attached to the trunk rack. I get a lot of questions. Riding to Alaska, solo I carried clubs the entire ride. Every night it wasn’t raining or snowing, I hit *****, sometimes along the Highway. More, I played courses in the Yukon and Alaska. Pretty much had the courses to myself and ten million mosquitoes. I did lose a lot of *****. When they say rough, they mean ROUGH.

I hunt and fly fish, I used to restore motorcycles, just have a out that you thoroughly enjoy before you decide to quit riding when that time comes. It makes moving on painless to focus elsewhere. Though nothing restores my faith in mankind like a good ride.

Y2K (03-14-2024)
Old 03-16-2024, 05:01 PM
CanadianRocky
Club Member
Received 21,827 Likes on 9,587 Posts

… 300+/- miles a day… Rest days every 3rd or 4th day… Stay hydrated, eat well, sleep in a motel … that’s what I did when I went to Alaska… 13,000 miles over 10 weeks… I was 65… Pretty sure I could do it again if put my mind to it… i’m now 72…

… that trip starts here

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/road-...l#post16278321

Last edited by CanadianRocky; 03-16-2024 at 05:05 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by CanadianRocky:
Candubrain (03-17-2024), CrBear (03-17-2024), Mountain Mule (03-16-2024), Y2K (03-20-2024)
Old 03-17-2024, 12:05 PM
deadhawg
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 1,802 Likes on 690 Posts

As already mentioned, take more frequent breaks, even short one's help. On trips I used to think 400 miles was a short day, often did 500-600, sometimes 800 + a day. Now, at 76, 400 miles is enough for me. Having the sidecar also removes the worry about holding up a 900# bike on uneven surfaces. I tried a trike, didn't like it, for me, riding with a sidecar feels more like I'm still on a motorcycle more than the trike did.

Last edited by deadhawg; 03-17-2024 at 12:11 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by deadhawg:
CrBear (03-17-2024), pgreer (03-17-2024), Y2K (03-20-2024)
Old 03-17-2024, 01:41 PM
son of the hounds
Grand HDF Member

In rural Idaho on two lanes, 350 miles is no issue while remaining relaxed and sharp. If you ride in traffic or freeways then 250 is a nice goal. When I lead or plan group rides, I plan 250-275 max. When I ride with my buddy and his wife, 350-400, but we often will make a long run to get to a better riding place. That said, we we have new riders or those with limited experience or radical bikes, I’m not against planning 125-150 mile days and taking scenic breaks and interesting lunch stops.

Fatigue or getting tired or too sore to ride is a personal thing. A boring ride, a traffic filled ride, a bad road ride make it a lot worse. My limit is my wife when we ride two up. A hour, hour and 20 is about the max for her. We ride longer if I just plan to stop after an hour or so. Riding to Alaska my riding partner had to stop every hour. After the first day, I got use to it and planned to just find a nice place to pull over before he started getting fidgety. He’d ride early to late, just needed one cigar smoke off the bike every hour to keep fit and comfortable. That’s not an issue for me as once refreshed, he was ready to ride another hour, gravel, rain, potholes, moose, bear and woods bison.

Just like your riding speed, cornering, braking vary and you ride your own ride, that same attitude is used for your mental attitude. Ride with parameters that let you enjoy your ride. If the people you ride with push you, or hold you up, finish the ride then go solo until you find someone who is compatible. That does not mean they ride like you, that means you both can remain relaxed with slightly different styles or capabilities.

You might not think it affects this topic, but the older we get, it’s those other benefits of riding that become more important. Issues like weight or control seem to evaporate when you are smiling or having a good ride.

Snows off the drive, roads are bare, watch out for gravel. Bike and I are as one today.

Old 03-17-2024, 04:10 PM
heavymetalthunder
Grand HDF Member
Received 608 Likes on 442 Posts

Can I still make that long trip.... That thought has crossed my mind a time or two as I'm in the beginning stages of planning my yearly Sturgis trip. Around 760 miles in 1 day going up and then the same when riding home. Coming home loosing that 1 hour really suxs. The ride from KC to Sioux Falls isn't that bad but the ride from Sioux Falls to Sturgis seems to get longer and harder every year. Guess I'll find out in August. I need to start exercising and stretching out as I still have time to get ready. Getting old suxs.

CrBear (03-18-2024)
Old 03-17-2024, 05:11 PM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 12,258 Likes on 4,784 Posts

We're all different and I really don't believe anyone can speak for anyone else.
I have a history of doing some ungodly long trips but nowadays, anything over a 100 miles and I need a nap.

The following 2 users liked this post by IronAss:
Candubrain (03-17-2024), deadhawg (03-18-2024)
Old 03-18-2024, 07:32 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,246 Likes on 1,852 Posts

Love reading these threads about aged riders. I’m turning 55, had a total knee replacement, and have cricks and creeks here and there but hearing ya’ll young bucks’ riding adventures gives me great hope.

CrBear (03-18-2024)

Quick Reply: Can I still make that long trip....