Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

HD Ride Planner

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2023, 06:31 PM
Mr-DD
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the replies. Helped considerably! Although Im still struggling. Seems I'm obsessed with becoming efficient in using the H-D ride Planner. I spent several hours today on my desktop trying to create a route that i can transfer to my bike. I used a nearby country town as my destination via different turns through out the route. What a mess!!. Seems like I tried everything but I had a heck of a time with planner continually changing many directions back to pre-determined directions. I tried adding waypoints to force turns, I tried using locations and changing back to waypoints. Many times the route would change to a location that didnt make sense. It was very difficult to determine what waypoint or location was forcing the direction change. I spent alot of time making sure the waypoint was directly on the road. Worked some times and sometimes it didnt. I did make one avoidance change; Avoided Highways. This made a difference in one of the re-routing problems I was having. Another is: I had two portions of the route that took me a 1/4 of mile up the road for a U turn. I went into Google Map satelite and zoomed in on the road. (Google works much better in Satelite than H-D Planner). I saw that it was a divided road so that made some sense but I could not readjust the route in a different direction to keep from traveling off my intended route as to avoid the U turn. I finally called it quits for the day. I'll start again tomorrow. Many folks are using the H-D Planner successfully. What do i need to do differently?
All for now. Frustated but not giving up. Thanks for the help!

Old 02-04-2023, 08:31 AM
Juan L
Received 20,117 Likes on 10,260 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr-DD
Thanks for the replies. Helped considerably! Although Im still struggling. Seems I'm obsessed with becoming efficient in using the H-D ride Planner. I spent several hours today on my desktop trying to create a route that i can transfer to my bike. I used a nearby country town as my destination via different turns through out the route. What a mess!!. Seems like I tried everything but I had a heck of a time with planner continually changing many directions back to pre-determined directions. I tried adding waypoints to force turns, I tried using locations and changing back to waypoints. Many times the route would change to a location that didnt make sense. It was very difficult to determine what waypoint or location was forcing the direction change. I spent alot of time making sure the waypoint was directly on the road. Worked some times and sometimes it didnt. I did make one avoidance change; Avoided Highways. This made a difference in one of the re-routing problems I was having. Another is: I had two portions of the route that took me a 1/4 of mile up the road for a U turn. I went into Google Map satelite and zoomed in on the road. (Google works much better in Satelite than H-D Planner). I saw that it was a divided road so that made some sense but I could not readjust the route in a different direction to keep from traveling off my intended route as to avoid the U turn. I finally called it quits for the day. I'll start again tomorrow. Many folks are using the H-D Planner successfully. What do i need to do differently?
All for now. Frustated but not giving up. Thanks for the help!
Patience…..

Old 03-13-2023, 10:28 PM
Moto-Cyco
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is going on now?

Historically, I have had good success using the H-D Ride Planner. As user non-friendly as the planner is, I have even been able to coach some friends into being comfortable in using it. But, as I get ready for the new season, I have been back in a few times over the last couple weeks. I have gotten into the habit of naming all locations/waypoints and now, the "Click to Name Location" link (for any location/waypoint) is no longer working on anything I use to login, except for the H-D App itself. Using the app to create or edit a ride is a lesson in madness all on its own, so this is not an acceptable solution. Any ideas? Is anyone else experiencing the same thing? Is H-D on this thread and have any insight?

Old 03-14-2023, 03:35 AM
d_slat
Road Warrior
Received 636 Likes on 324 Posts

I started using Indian's ride planner last year instead of Harley's. It's pretty pathetic that harley screwed theirs up to the point that it became virtually unusable and (as far as I know) still haven't fixed it a whole year later...

Edit: Indian's ride planner is called "ride command"

Last edited by d_slat; 03-14-2023 at 03:38 AM.