Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

HD Ride Planner

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2023, 04:31 PM
road king Q
Road Master
Received 238 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by T^2
Some? Having problems?
Did not do a full plan. Looked at some points and the cool stuff it was showing me. Liked what I saw but ran out of time. I'l look some more soon.!!

Old 01-23-2023, 08:25 AM
Back-n-Black
Club Member
Received 432 Likes on 230 Posts

Does Furkot follow the route you select? or does it route between waypoints?
I want to follow the route I select and not what the AI thinks is best.

Old 01-23-2023, 09:23 AM
T^2
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,180 Likes on 732 Posts

Originally Posted by Back-n-Black
Does Furkot follow the route you select? or does it route between waypoints?
I want to follow the route I select and not what the AI thinks is best.
Furkot and MRA Routeplanner are designed to create custom routes/trips. So, yes they can create custom routes between waypoints. It's basic functionality for these types of planners. Vias (shaping points) are used to facilitate this - to force the navigation app to map a route as planned in the planner. One helpful feature - you can set Furkot to automatically add sufficient vias to the route export (.gpx file or whatever) so that when the navigation app maps the route, it does so faithfully.

Last edited by T^2; 01-23-2023 at 09:53 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Back-n-Black (01-23-2023)
Old 01-23-2023, 10:09 AM
FXD2003Rider
Administrator Emeritus

Received 876 Likes on 584 Posts

Originally Posted by F150HD
any mapping issues importing that gpx file into the Zumo from the MyRouteApp? as if the maps don't "match" it could create a problem. I use Basecamp and have Mapsource experience.
I use the tracks from the gpx files to upload to my ZUMO XT. In my ZUMO XT I use the option to calculate the route using the track. In that case track and route in the Zumo are the same as disigned in MRA.

Another option is to use BaseCamp to upload the track from the gpx file into your ZUMO XT and follow the same procedure in the ZUMO XT as described above

One warning though: The ZUMO XT made route has only two waypoints: start and finish. Use disable the recalculation option in your ZUMO XT beacuse If you leave the designed route the enabled recalculation will lead you to the finish...

Old 01-23-2023, 05:23 PM
Spartanden
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 8,296 Likes on 6,040 Posts

What works well with the Harley Boom system? I did some simple routes this summer on HD Ride Planner and uploaded to bike via thumb drive. Planning trip down Route 66 this June and plan to have a number of sections to ride daily.

Old 01-25-2023, 11:12 AM
T^2
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by Spartanden
What works well with the Harley Boom system? I did some simple routes this summer on HD Ride Planner and uploaded to bike via thumb drive. Planning trip down Route 66 this June and plan to have a number of sections to ride daily.
I don't have personal experience with HD's Boom Box system. However, from what I understand, .gpx files can be imported via a USB thumb drive easily enough. That being the case, just about any route planner - Furktot, MRA Routeplanner, whatever - that can export to .gpx files should work.

The following users liked this post:
M Oclaf (01-25-2023)
Old 01-31-2023, 05:22 AM
gonemad
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,321 Likes on 2,943 Posts

I just successfully routed a ride (crosses fingers) with Ride Planner on my desk top Mac, saved it in Ride Planner, then uploaded it to my ’22 RGS via the HD Ride Planner app on my iPhone.

I took a number of detours and altered the route before I saved it, and it is showing up on the bike’s nav exactly how I planned it. Even when my bike is currently parked 30 miles away from the starting point of the route (a riding buddy’s house).

It’s a miracle. I’m going to ride this route next week when the weather clears.

The following 2 users liked this post by gonemad:
Juan L (01-31-2023), Mr-DD (01-31-2023)
Old 01-31-2023, 01:58 PM
Mr-DD
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Perfect! Found this current thread on HD Ride Planner issues and advise. I need some help! Im a limited user and determined to get this planner to work for me even though there are other route planning options out there. Ive read MANY forum and internet discussionions and watched numerous videos. Im learning! A few things that are hanging me up right now:
1. I know I can send my saved route from my iphone HD Ride Planner app to my bike but i would also like to download the .gpx file to my desktop download folder and then copy to a jump drive. I select the .gpx download icon in Ride Planner and the route gets sent to my PC download file. It becomes an Adobe Acrobat Reader file and I can't open it. Error message states that Adobe Acrobat cant read the file. When transferred to a jump drive and then plugged into my bike will the Nav system accept the .gpx route? Seems to me the .gpx file should be with an app other than Adobe?
2. Waypints need to be located directly on the route. It takes some Zooming in and adjusting the waypoints accordingly. I get that now. What I dont understand is )while watching a few select videos) there is mention of needing to "skip" an upcoming waypoint so you wont be continually reminded to make a "U Turn". What prompts me to know when a waypoint is approaching so I can "skip" it?
3. How many waypoints need to be added on route? Some information suggest adding a waypoint slightly after a turn which will keep the Nav system on course. I am still experimenting with location markers and waypoints. Not real clear how to use them accordingly. All for now. Appreciate any advise.

Old 01-31-2023, 02:34 PM
BTLorys
Stellar HDF Member

Received 2,680 Likes on 1,236 Posts

Originally Posted by Juan L
I used it yesterday to start a rough plan for this years ride. No problems with it at all. Using desktop mode on an IPad. Now I know that when I want to send the route to the bike I will have to do it from the app on my cel phone.
How convenient is being able to zoom that route from your phone to your nav? I have the older (2018) Boom so I don't have that capability... have to load to a thumb drive, and then upload from thumdrive to boom. 1st world problem for sure but I've had the idea to get the newer boom GTS just for that purpose alone...

Looks like an awesome ride you got planned. If you need any help with the NY/CT area feel free to reach out

Originally Posted by Mr-DD
Perfect! Found this current thread on HD Ride Planner issues and advise. I need some help! Im a limited user and determined to get this planner to work for me even though there are other route planning options out there. Ive read MANY forum and internet discussionions and watched numerous videos. Im learning! A few things that are hanging me up right now:
1. I know I can send my saved route from my iphone HD Ride Planner app to my bike but i would also like to download the .gpx file to my desktop download folder and then copy to a jump drive. I select the .gpx download icon in Ride Planner and the route gets sent to my PC download file. It becomes an Adobe Acrobat Reader file and I can't open it. Error message states that Adobe Acrobat cant read the file. When transferred to a jump drive and then plugged into my bike will the Nav system accept the .gpx route? Seems to me the .gpx file should be with an app other than Adobe?
2. Waypints need to be located directly on the route. It takes some Zooming in and adjusting the waypoints accordingly. I get that now. What I dont understand is )while watching a few select videos) there is mention of needing to "skip" an upcoming waypoint so you wont be continually reminded to make a "U Turn". What prompts me to know when a waypoint is approaching so I can "skip" it?
3. How many waypoints need to be added on route? Some information suggest adding a waypoint slightly after a turn which will keep the Nav system on course. I am still experimenting with location markers and waypoints. Not real clear how to use them accordingly. All for now. Appreciate any advise.
1. When you go to save it, it should ask if you want to name it. Whatever you name it as, make sure you put .gpx at the end. It's not automatic. Ex: 2023Ride.gpx
2. You sorta need to be familiar with your route but it's not that hard. In my experience you don't have to worry about skipping an upcoming waypoint, its as soon as you pass it, if your GPS didn't "tag" you as hitting it, it will ask you to make a u-turn. Common sense should tell you a u-turn doesn't make sense there, so just hit the skip waypoint button.
3. There is no rule of thumb there. This comes down to the Boom Navigation having a different brain than the constantly updated ride planner. Although the ride planner may think that the best route between 2 waypoints is along route 1, the HD nav may see those two waypoints and come up with a different route between the two. It could just be an outdated map in your nav system or some setting somewhere, but the two are not in agreement. Typically, coming through an area with more roads available, I will try to put a few more waypoints down if I'm looking to go a specific way. Or if its a longer scenic detour, I will put more because the Nav does not like to take you on ways that add mileage or minutes and will actively look for ways to avoid doing so. A less congested area means less options available to your nav, so it's more likely to comply with what you want with less waypoints.

Old 01-31-2023, 02:45 PM
T^2
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by Mr-DD
The first problem sounds like a file association issue in Windows. Somewhere along the line you may have mistakenly associated the .gpx file type with Adobe Acrobat. Should be able to look up how to change file type associations in Google. But it shouldn't really matter. You wouldn't try to open a .gpx file up directly by double clicking on it. You would instead open it with - and/or import it into - navigation software. You can - if you like - open the .gpx file with a text editor (like Notpad) if you just want to look inside the file. As long as the .gpx file hasn't been corrupted and re-saved you should still be able the import and use it in whatever destination navigation app you want to use (to include the Nav system on your bike).

The second question... The details of various software apps are different, but some things like this - in general - tend to roughly work the same. Typically, there will be no mystery if you missed a via/shaping point. It will be painfully obvious when the Nav app tries to re-route you back to the missed via/shaping point. Depending on the software, they generally can be set up to skip missed vias automatically. Or they may display a popup asking you if you want to skip the waypoint. In other scenarios - where you want to start navigating the route at somewhere other than the planned starting point - the app will have a feature to allow you to select from which via/waypoint you want to start navigation. You usually tell the app this before you tell the app to start navigating.

You need as many shaping points/via as required to get the navigation app to faithfully recreate/map the route as it was planned in the planner. Routing algorithms and map data sets can differ between the planner and navigation app, so the required number of shaping points/vias will be situation dependent (you may have to experiment here and adjust accordingly). Usually, you don't want to place the shaping points/vias too close to intersections/roundabouts etc. because it can cause the nav app to display information other than what you want/need at critical points in the navigation/travel.

Last edited by T^2; 01-31-2023 at 03:00 PM.

Quick Reply: HD Ride Planner