Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Poker Run or Charity rides gone bad!

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2007, 06:46 PM
HDRoadKing007
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Poker Run or Charity rides gone bad!

Is it me or does every poker run or charity ride end in a casualty? Statistically that's pretty bad assuming I’ve only participated in a few of them and the reason is not that I don’t like showing my support its the non-sense that keeps me away. Now I sat down to think about where things may unravel and here’s what I came up with. Group rides sometimes anywhere between 100 – 500 riders where some of these riders haven’t spent a lot of time riding in a formation. Aggressive riders – A Charity Poker Runusually includes 3 – 5 stops where you draw a card at each stop. Most of the time’s there is free food at each stop but if you’re in the back of the pack it’s gone before you get there. Although, if you miss the sting chicken strips and cocktail wieners… You’ll have plenty of time to suck down a few beers, position yourself to get to the front of the pack show up at the next stop in time. My experience is most people that have been promised free food feel let down so they continue to race frantically to get something at the next stop. This excludes me, I pack my own lunch to keep the blood sugar up.

In the few I’ve been on sometime the speed have been close to 85mph on roads that are 30mph. Now I have to stop to think if I’m doing 80+ how fast is lead driver going and why? Don’t get me wrong I loveriding fast, but throw in 2 – 3 beers at 4 stops and hey you’re going to have problems. I want to take a different approach just incase someone reads this. If you’re doing a Charity Ride or a Poker Run remember you have all levels of riders so the lead pacerider must maintain a slower pace. The drinking you can’t control but the chicken strips some people will ride wild and mad just to get something crappy for free. My suggestion is leave FREE FOOD at each stop off the flyer. People roll hard and crazy when you mention free anything. These riders are is usually the bargain hunter slamming into you because they’re riding way to fast for there abilities just to get something they think is included in the $20 donation they’ve made.

I’ve heard there areplenty of successful charity rides but I’ve never participated in any of those. Hopefully some day I will.

Bob

Old 08-19-2007, 01:56 PM
soulfish
Cruiser
Default RE: Poker Run or Charity rides gone bad!

Well said. Your comments made me think of poker runs in a different light. meaning I have never gone on a group "event" ride. I might avoid such things for a while longer since the "herd" outings were something that I have wondered about attending, for the "brotherhood" and "sisters as well" connection. Guess riding is more of asolo, or with friends deal for me.I also ride snowmobiles and the message boardsrelating tothat sport are extremely polarized on the issue of drinking and riding. I'm a bit surprised to have not seen the subject brought up on theses forums in the brief time I have visited this place.

Old 08-19-2007, 02:54 PM
CSI
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Been on a few poker runs, and a couple of LARGE group rides.

Only saw a safety issue on one of em, and that was one of the large rides. We left as a group; within 15 minutes we were on the highway, and despite running 80, I ( and many others) were being left behind.

Eventually, we ended up in 3 groups of 30 bikes or so, based upon the speeds we were comfortable running.

Old 08-20-2007, 09:04 AM
HogBoy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've not had the issues you're describing on any of the poker rides or charity rides you mention but one. Most of them are fairly well maintained and none promise "free food" at every stage. I did participate in a ride to show support for the our troops about a month ago and it was the biggest "clusterf..ck" I've seen in ages. I'll ride to it, but I won't do the ride itself again.

Old 09-05-2007, 06:14 AM
Mikey 1450
Road Master
Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

I just ride in the back so I dont get run over when I have to slow down.

Old 09-06-2007, 03:58 PM
wjn1053
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the last big run i did was my last one ,it was poorly orginized nobody really took the time to explain anything to the new riders there were no real formations going down the road then add the beer factor and a few bad attudes it made for a real bad day .i think from now on ill just ride in small groups

Old 09-30-2007, 09:17 PM
mountian man
Cruiser

I went on one poker run and that was my last,I'd rather just give them some money and go riding with my buddies.Around here in NC they run those runs different,2,3,4 bikers go out at a time.Each little small group better know where all the stops are.In other word everbody is on there on.No captians Nobody in charge.Just a bunch of speed freaks on about 10 beers,and God only knows what else.I thought a poker run was a fun day out on a ride and things organised.It seems like they just want the money then you areon your own.I wish someone would have afew good one's then the other people might learn how these should be run.Until then,It's not worth it to me.Just give them some money.