Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Tn, NC, KY, OH etc.... from NY

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2022 | 10:12 AM
chopr147
|
Tourer
Default Tn, NC, KY, OH etc.... from NY

So I finally did the Tail of the Dragon and the Smoky Mountains. Awesome riding in the Smokies! Left Long Island on a Monday morning with a group of 7 bikes and 2 trucks with trailers. Once out of the tri-state area I started to feel the wind therapy calmness take over. I have a 2014 Ultra which worked hard at times but flawless the whole trip. The first night of riding (we decided on a nice meal 3 hours from hotel) was a bit white knuckling with rain and 18 wheelers blowing by us on I-81. Even then I was feeling good until my 3/4 face shield fogged up and I rode with it halfway up, peeking under the shield trying to keep the rain at bay. We all said the same thing. Follow the tail lights in front of you and you're good as long as the forward rider is still on the road. Props to the female rider with us who did this ride on a Sportster. That's a long way on a smaller bike and no windshield. Add the fact she was in her 60's and.........again PROPS!
We stayed at Fontana Resort near the Tail and rode the Tail with 30 bikes or so from the Blue Knights, which we are part of. Great time and some great mountain riding around the Tail following guys who know the area! Heavy rains took out Thursday so, we started drinking early. On Friday I left solo towards Louisville KY to meet my wife for the bourbon tour, rest of the crew headed home. My plan was to stop at Wheels thru Time Museum then head towards Louisville. Past back problems creeped back into my life. My lower back had other plans and after heat/ice I was able to get on the bike........barely. I skipped any out of the way stops and went directly to my hotel in Knoxville for some more heat/ice etc..... But I did take route 441 thru Smoky Mountain National Park to get there. Great twisty ride and scenery. I recommend if you are in the area. Getting to the hotel at 2:00 P.M. is way too early but sometimes the body does not cooperate with the brain. Saturday morning after MORE heat/ice to get going and holding on with each bump arrived in Louisville, parked the bike and spent the next 2 days in the passenger seat which helped. The bourbon tastings helped as well. Also having my wife tie my shoes for me had me feeling old I still have 1000 miles or so of riding before I get home so getting back in the saddle was a must! We did the bourbon tour in Louisville, Bardstown and Lexington then headed to Harpers Ferry WV for her parents 60th Anniversary. My back was feeling good enough to enjoy riding again!

Bardstown: The Gumball 3000 was in town and packed the main street. We just happened to stumble on it which was happening right in front of our hotel . Bardstown people said they never had so many people in their town before. Saw David Hasselhoff, Cielo Green and annoying Youtube (influencers) with their million dollar rides. I say annoying because they stick their cameras in your face to talk to you. I didn't know most of 'em. Hoovie wasn't there All the local yocals with a hot rod were out revving the engines and burning rubber. It was entertaining.
Back to riding. The ride from Charleston WV to Weston WV and beyond on route 79 is a highway but a really nice ride thru the Allegheny and Blue Ridge mountains, is beautiful. There isn't a straight run for more than a half mile it seems. My wife who is nervous with me riding over 80 took off in the rental car and I had to do nearly 100 just to catch up to her. Would like to do this ride again w/o a time limit or schedule. While in Harpers Ferry for 4 days I did a couple loops in the area just to get it out of my system before the family get togethers. The ride home to NY on Sunday was all sunny and 78 degrees! No side rides, all highway. Back home safe and sound, bike running awesome after 2500+ miles and 2 weeks. IDK what others do but my plan for long rides is to stop every 2 hours or so, even if just to do a quick stretch, gas etc....
Oh, the TAIL! The first run was a slow (30 bikes remember) and not really enjoyable but probably for the best. The 2nd run on the way back and now only 8 of us and I was having fun with it! We had gotten into a nice rhythm w/o the stop and go. Leaning into the turns at my own speed and comfort w/o stopping was a lot of fun! Looking forward to doing it again next year.
I'm doing Americade this week and planning my next long journey. Where or when I don't know yet

Last edited by chopr147; 06-09-2022 at 10:22 AM.
The following users liked this post:
scarey (06-12-2022)