Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Great Roads in America for 2022

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2022, 01:31 AM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,271 Likes on 1,848 Posts

Originally Posted by Bricklayer
Riding up Mt Evans, thats impressive. That road gets interesting up there.
I had all I could do to ride up in a car and seat on a bench. Air starts gettin a bit thin above 14,000".
At one time Mt Evans was the highest paved road in America.
We (the wife and I) rode two-up on my Heritage Softail Classic in '95 and then again with our car club in 2011 and I could feel the difference in how I felt.
We (me, my wife, my cousin and her husband) did Pike's Peak (I believe in 2004) prior to it being paved all the way to the summit.
The women stopped when the pavement ended and my cousin's husband continued to the top.
I will admit that once I got off of my bike I got a little "light headed" that eventually went away after several minutes.

Old 01-14-2022, 09:14 PM
Grandslam
Road Warrior
Received 338 Likes on 209 Posts

I have ridden up Mt Evans twice. This past year was probably my last. Took a buddy up it and he said that was treacherous. We would hit the switchback and when you turned at about 10 mph, the wind was gusting at about 40 mph and it would almost blow you over. When we got to the top, we parked and my buddy got off his bike. I didn't get off as I thought the wind was going to blow the bike over. We moved so the wind was blowing towards the kickstand. It was cold and windy.

Old 01-15-2022, 02:32 PM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Grandslam
I have ridden up Mt Evans twice. This past year was probably my last. Took a buddy up it and he said that was treacherous. We would hit the switchback and when you turned at about 10 mph, the wind was gusting at about 40 mph and it would almost blow you over. When we got to the top, we parked and my buddy got off his bike. I didn't get off as I thought the wind was going to blow the bike over. We moved so the wind was blowing towards the kickstand. It was cold and windy.
Most anytime you're in mountain country low temps and high wind gusts are possible.
The last time (2011) I lead our car group up Mt Evans one morning.
I had told the group the night before wear long sleeve shirts and jackets but when we got out of our cars most were wearing shorts and short sleeve shirts!
I think the temps and he wind speeds was close to a 40/40 match and everyone was scrambling to dig out their jackets.

My worst wind gust ever on a motorcycle was on a trip out of Cody, WY up to the Chief Joseph Highway and then onto the Bear Tooth Pass.
I was the first of three bikes and I was on my (loaded) Ultra and as I rode into a pass I got hit with crosswind from my right and so strong that it pushed me half way over into the oncoming lane!
Fortunately there wasn't any oncoming traffic and it signaled a warning to the two bikes behind me.

Old 01-15-2022, 02:39 PM
WP50
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,864 Likes on 1,262 Posts

Thank you Enjoyed that

WP

Old 01-15-2022, 02:47 PM
Rollin'2
Cruiser
Received 331 Likes on 104 Posts

The Coronado Trail in Arizona is a fun road. About 100 miles with hundreds of curves, switchbacks and no traffic!

Has many names. The Coronado Trail, Highway 191, Highway 666 and the Devil's Highway.

Last edited by Rollin'2; 01-15-2022 at 02:59 PM.
The following users liked this post:
CrBear (01-15-2022)
Old 01-15-2022, 03:41 PM
CrBear
Grand HDF Member
Received 4,253 Likes on 1,757 Posts

Originally Posted by 2AMGuy
Most anytime you're in mountain country low temps and high wind gusts are possible.
The last time (2011) I lead our car group up Mt Evans one morning.
I had told the group the night before wear long sleeve shirts and jackets but when we got out of our cars most were wearing shorts and short sleeve shirts!
I think the temps and he wind speeds was close to a 40/40 match and everyone was scrambling to dig out their jackets.

My worst wind gust ever on a motorcycle was on a trip out of Cody, WY up to the Chief Joseph Highway and then onto the Bear Tooth Pass.
I was the first of three bikes and I was on my (loaded) Ultra and as I rode into a pass I got hit with crosswind from my right and so strong that it pushed me half way over into the oncoming lane!
Fortunately there wasn't any oncoming traffic and it signaled a warning to the two bikes behind me.
I got caught in that coming out of Colorado into NM.
Mountains parted and strong gust pushed me into the next lane. Not a damn thing I could do about it.
Just glad no one was there. Pucker factor indeed.

Old 01-15-2022, 07:19 PM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by CrBear
I got caught in that coming out of Colorado into NM.
Mountains parted and strong gust pushed me into the next lane. Not a damn thing I could do about it.
Just glad no one was there. Pucker factor indeed.
People that have never experienced heavy or severe wind gusts would be surprised just how powerful they are.
I was headed to the Denver Airport in my 4600 pound truck to pick up my wife when from out-of-nowhere I got hit with a crosswind that pushed me across the road just as the one that I experienced on my motorcycle.
All incoming flights were delayed and rerouted to other airports for hours.
I spent several hours in the parking lot and got to meet a lot of people (due to my block M hat) one of which was a deputy sheriff from Wyoming. After a quick greeting he says "I was behind you coming in today and saw that wind gust push you across the road"!

Old 01-15-2022, 07:56 PM
CrBear
Grand HDF Member

I haven't heard of any, but wonder how many bikes get pushed off a mountain.
Trail Ridge Road? Mt Evans?
Don't want to be up there with those gusts

Old 01-15-2022, 08:29 PM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,803 Likes on 9,866 Posts

I can vouch for the beauty and fun of the Peak to Peak Hwy. Finish it off with a ride over the top of Trail Ridge Road down into the Grand Valley, lunch in Granby or Winter Park, then up over Berthoud Pass to I-70. Take that down to Idaho Springs and go over Guanella Pass to Hwy 85 and take that back into town.

Old 01-16-2022, 08:05 AM
CrBear
Grand HDF Member

I've been over Guanella Pass 3 times beautiful ride. One was great with no traffic, just hikers. Last time there was so many vehicles on both sides of the road a oncoming car and I almost hit.

Quick Reply: Great Roads in America for 2022