Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Destination 2022 ?????

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2021, 07:24 PM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,352 Likes on 1,873 Posts

Originally Posted by RFG7680
Did New England in 2020 and all over Tennessee and 6 other states in 2021. The virus had no impact on either trip. Just go. 👍
Looks like we may be living with one variant after another with the Chinese Wuhan Virus for a long time to come and that we may also be getting booster "tune-ups" on regular intervals.
With only one road trip I "lost" the 2020 riding season and didn't do a whole lot better during the past 2021 season but I did manage to do one bike (trike) trip and one car rally.
Unless something terrible happens, I'm planning on doing at least one (perhaps two) major rides in 2022,

Old 12-21-2021, 12:35 PM
cacomly
Road Master
Received 590 Likes on 363 Posts

Either could be a good destination, it depends on the time of the year. August could be a bit warm in the Southwest so perhaps Northwest would be the place to go.

However June can still be a bit cold with a chance of snow in the Northwest so Southwest could be better

The following users liked this post:
2AMGuy (01-20-2022)
Old 12-21-2021, 03:38 PM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 10,400 Likes on 5,516 Posts

COV has not stopped any trips and will not. Eastern TN is always a good ride. In May for us it is East central FL then eastern TN then back north to WI . If you can't decide just start the bike and go that way see where you end up.

Old 12-21-2021, 04:14 PM
Brian MD.
Tourer
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Rearranged my plans some. May is Myrtle Bike Week. End of May 4 days in West By God Virginia. July is 3 days in Sturgis before rally on way to Red Lodge,Mt. for two nights to do Beartooth Hwy. & Chief Joseph Hwy. then onto Cody,Wy for three nights and hitting Sturgis for two more nights when the rally is going on. September 4 nights somewhere. Ready for Springtime.

Old 12-21-2021, 04:32 PM
son of the hounds
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,716 Likes on 1,373 Posts

My brother in law from NJ and I are going to meet in Sturgis and ride to Alaska. Gone at least a month.

Covid willing that is. This is assuming that Canada will let us pass through and the USA wants us back.

I am ever so grateful that my wife and I did our grand tour of 38 states in 2019. It was a different world then....how, well we could stop and eat anywhere and motel swimming pools and hot tubs were open.

Added: The bandanna I wore was to keep bugs off my face, not make me compliant with regulations.

rauchman (02-27-2022)
Old 12-21-2021, 09:28 PM
Grandslam
Road Warrior
Received 339 Likes on 210 Posts

I have not cancelled any trips due to the virus. It has been an issue at a few places. I have walked through the drive-thru and ate sitting on the curb. We were going to eat at a Mexican place near Monument Valley. Dude came to the door with a notebook and wanted to know where we had been and where we were headed. We went elsewhere.

CO last year. This year, Gainesville and the Gatornationals in March with a day at Daytona, Sturgis, Yellowstone, Bryce, Zion, Arches and CO in August. Maine, Vermont, New Hampshire, MA, NY, PA , MD, WV and VA in October.

Planning to go back to the Gatornationals in March. Then TX Hill Country, Big Bend, Tombstone, and Grand Canyon in April/May.

RFG7680 (12-22-2021)
Old 01-20-2022, 03:43 PM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by son of the hounds
My brother in law from NJ and I are going to meet in Sturgis and ride to Alaska. Gone at least a month.

Covid willing that is. This is assuming that Canada will let us pass through and the USA wants us back.

I am ever so grateful that my wife and I did our grand tour of 38 states in 2019. It was a different world then....how, well we could stop and eat anywhere and motel swimming pools and hot tubs were open.

Added: The bandanna I wore was to keep bugs off my face, not make me compliant with regulations.
If our northern border is still blocked (which I doubt) at that time the option would be taking the ferry out of Washington up to Alaska.
It ain't cheap bit it is convenient and knocks off quite a few miles or riding as well as several nights in motels.
If it's a consideration book as far ahead of time as you can.--Alaska Marine Hwy.--PH. 1-800-382-9229
Tiny little bunk bed cabins abut U got a private shower and throne!

We rode up in 2000 and took the ferry south back out of Haines.
You get to see a lot of little towns on the ride and they have (or had) decent food and a bar.

I'm planning on $ 5.00 per gallon for fuel this summer just to avoid "sticker shock" and prices through Canada ad on the Al-Can Hwy may be even more.

The following 2 users liked this post by 2AMGuy:
smitty901 (01-20-2022), son of the hounds (01-20-2022)
Old 01-20-2022, 04:44 PM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 10,400 Likes on 5,516 Posts

And of course August 2022 Appleton WI Shark week. Reservation already made.

Old 01-20-2022, 10:18 PM
son of the hounds
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,716 Likes on 1,373 Posts

Originally Posted by 2AMGuy
If our northern border is still blocked (which I doubt) at that time the option would be taking the ferry out of Washington up to Alaska.
It ain't cheap bit it is convenient and knocks off quite a few miles or riding as well as several nights in motels.
If it's a consideration book as far ahead of time as you can.--Alaska Marine Hwy.--PH. 1-800-382-9229
Tiny little bunk bed cabins abut U got a private shower and throne!

We rode up in 2000 and took the ferry south back out of Haines.
You get to see a lot of little towns on the ride and they have (or had) decent food and a bar.

I'm planning on $ 5.00 per gallon for fuel this summer just to avoid "sticker shock" and prices through Canada ad on the Al-Can Hwy may be even more.
Thanks for the insights. I familiar with AMH. For 40 years, I spent about a month (2 weeks at a time) each spring and fall traveling Alaska. Rented Harley’s in Fairbanks and Anchorage. Border being open is the key. I have ridden in BC and Alberta a lot, pre Covid. Never ridden north of Calgary. Really looking forward to this trip.

Old 01-27-2022, 03:52 PM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by cacomly
Either could be a good destination, it depends on the time of the year. August could be a bit warm in the Southwest so perhaps Northwest would be the place to go.

However June can still be a bit cold with a chance of snow in the Northwest so Southwest could be better
It looks like we'll be doing the S/W trip so now it's a matter of when.
The wife wants to do the trip in late August so now it's now up to the others.

Quick Reply: Destination 2022 ?????