Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Houston, TX to Springfield, MA and back

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2007, 01:53 PM
swestbrook60
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Houston, TX to Springfield, MA and back

I live in Houston and will be working in Springfield, MA for 2 weeks beginning 9/10/07 and I will be riding my '06 Ultra up there this year. It will definitely be the longest road trip I have made and anycomments or route suggestions would be appreciated. Since I have to be there on a specific date I was planning on a somewhat direct route up traveling mostly on the Interstates. On the way back I prefer to travel the back roads and enjoy the scenery. With my initial routes it looks like about 1800 miles going and 2400 miles coming back

Houston to Springfield

My initial thoughts were to take Hwy 59 north out of Houston all the way to I-30, and then through Little Rock, Memphis, etc. Then I would catch I-81 north up to I-78 and cut across to meet I-84 going into Hartford. Since I know the roads somewhat in western CT I was going to take some back roads around Hartford, CT and up into Springfield. I know I-10 and I-20 are shorter roads to take, but I find those two (especially I-10) extremely boring roads. The I-10 expansion gap bumps and the constant rhythm of them drive me nuts.

Springfield to Houston

I was considering taking I-84 West out of Hartford to I-81 and then cutting off I-81 onto US 15 down through Gettysburg. Then I was planning on riding Skyline Drive and the Blue Ridge Parkway all the way down. I probably will stay in the area of the Dragon for a day to ride the Dragon early on a weekday morning and then ride some of the other roads in the area as well. Leaving there I was going to take the Cherohola Parkway and then meet up with the Natchez Trace Parkway in Nashville. When I got to Jackson, MS I was thinking of just getting on I-20 and heading west to Dallas to visit some friends and then I-45 back home.

Old 08-05-2007, 03:55 PM
flibuoy
Extreme HDF Member
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Default RE: Houston, TX to Springfield, MA and back

I am in the Clear Lake area and family is in Holyoke area. Have been trying to get the ride done for a year. hate to do it alone, mostly to quiet loved ones fears. I am planning to ship bike back...just as cheap.... and take the back roads riding there. Small world. I was disappointed you were taking the express going and meandering back. The route you have sounds like a good base to wander from. I live on south side of Clear Lake and haver a "flexible" schedule. John

Old 08-08-2007, 10:41 PM
Bug
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just got back to Houston from a ride to the Smokeys. We did a little over 2400 miles. The Natchez Trace Parkway is a great ride. If you start from the Nashville end be sure and stop at the Loveless Cafe for a meal first, well worth the stop. The big bridge is great and the curves at the beginning are great. The rest of the ride is good. A lot of nice places to stop and look around. If you stop in Tupelo, you might want to visit the birth place of Elvis. If youride the Traceon a Sunday stop in at Ratliff's Ferry for a drink. There are a lot of bikes there on Sundays. If you have your swim suit you can take a dip in the Reservoir near Jackson. It's really hot this time of year.

The Interstates in TN are OK but gusty and a lot of Trucks that love passing you on downhill curves in the mtn. passes. Around Memphis they are pretty bumpy. You might consider taking Hwy 70 instead of I-40 between Nashville and Knoxville for a more scenic and enjoyable ride.

The Cherohala Skyway is a beautiful ride. The Dragon is loaded with LEOs right now. Top speed is 35. Still fun but a lot of people say they are ticketing people and pulling them over for every possible thing. They didn't pull us over but one of them did follow us about half way through. I kept to the speed limit and didn't cross any double yellow lines andhad noproblems. I didn't get to do the Blue Ridge Parkway but hear it is spectacular with some great tunnels. Another place to try to go is Cades Cove.

Have fun and be safe.

Old 08-09-2007, 10:24 AM
pablo pelon
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Flibuoy , I'm in Meadow Bend off 518.Where you at?

Old 08-26-2007, 12:54 PM
flibuoy
Extreme HDF Member
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Legend Point on south side of lake...2094....would like to find a rider for 1-2 day trips PM me and we'll exchange #s and get together John

[IMG]local://upfiles/20872/84AF98E7FEDD45938230286532CF35E5.jpg[/IMG]

Old 09-04-2007, 04:23 AM
beltfedM60E3
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In case you haven't left yet:
I81 will take you all the way to I84.
I78 SUCKS and will take you due east to NJ.
From the I81/I78 split it is about 2 1/2 hours up to the PA/NY border in Matamoras.
The Perkins in Matamoras,PA (PA/NY border) is good to go!
I84 is scenic and nice from the start in Scrantonuntil you reach NY Watch out NY to CT!

I rode from PA to Houston, 2 1/2 days 'bout 1500 miles using I81-I40-I59-I10...
I10 thru LA SUCKS!!!

US 15 from PA into MD is nice...the York HD plant won't be to far off your route. (I81 S to I83 S east on US30)
Battlefield HD is right off of 15 and is worth the stop.

PM if you'd like any additional info. Otherwisehave a awesome trip!