Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Motorcycle camping

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2020, 10:49 AM
Michael Psycle
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,078 Likes on 1,504 Posts

At this point I am too old and decrepit to do any kind of motorcycle camping, even if I wanted to, which I don't. In my younger days I was an experienced backpacker and could go out in the wilderness for seventeen day backpacks. To do that I would carry 35 pounds of gear and 25 pounds of dry food. That meant I would start with a 60 pound backpack and I refused to leave the trailhead with a backpack weighing more. Yet in all those years I never once even considered doing a motorcycle (or car) camping trip. On those backpacks I went to places high in the Sierra and the Rockies (both US and Canada) where the only way to be there was to backpack and camp. As soon as we got back to civilization we always stayed in motels. On all the long motorcycle rides that I took, including going to Sturgis four times, it was motels all the way. I like beds, I like warm showers, I like air conditioning, I like watching tv occasionally, especially after a long day's ride.

Old 04-30-2020, 02:52 PM
DWKen
Cruiser
Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts

That's cool. I wanna go motorcycle camping. We had all the reservations made for leaving for 2 weeks of motorcycle camping starting May 22nd. Death Valley, Sequoia, Yosemite, Donner, Redwoods, Big Sur, were some of our camping spots reserved.
But now, since the Corona virus, the five of us are having to cancel all of our reservations.

Old 04-30-2020, 02:57 PM
DWKen
Cruiser

You must be very old!
I'll be motorcycle camping for the foreseeable duration. (72 years old in 6 weeks).
We usually hotel the first night (because of a hard/hot 650 miles from DFW up into Colorado). Then, we do shorter miles each day between campsites. Two weeks of this and I don't want to go home; even though my wife and doggie are waiting for me.

Our trips for two of our group usually start like this. We meet 2 to 3 more within 75 miles. Then we're REALLY off.

The following 3 users liked this post by DWKen:
BelchFire (04-30-2020), BigDogIdaho (04-30-2020), DanDeleted (04-30-2020)
Old 04-30-2020, 03:57 PM
BigDogIdaho
Grand HDF Member
Received 192 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by DWKen
You must be very old!
I'll be motorcycle camping for the foreseeable duration. (72 years old in 6 weeks).
We usually hotel the first night (because of a hard/hot 650 miles from DFW up into Colorado). Then, we do shorter miles each day between campsites. Two weeks of this and I don't want to go home; even though my wife and doggie are waiting for me.

Our trips for two of our group usually start like this. We meet 2 to 3 more within 75 miles. Then we're REALLY off.

I am jealous!
My Brother & I are going for a short weekend trip this summer.
Hoping to make it a "thing" that becomes longer in the future.

Old 04-30-2020, 08:16 PM
DWKen
Cruiser

Originally Posted by BigDogIdaho
I am jealous!
My Brother & I are going for a short weekend trip this summer.
Hoping to make it a "thing" that becomes longer in the future.
Each year's trip is pretty much the highlight of my year. We have such a good group of guys (up to six of us) that enjoy this. Two years ago, we motorcycled up to Glacier National Park. It was pure joy. I love crawling out of my tent into high alpine mountains and the forest. That was over 5,000 miles with 12 nights of camping.
We reserve our campsites in advance (else there won't be a site for us) and usually camp for up to 6 nights, doing lots of tourist stuff while there. Then we'll move to our next campground and do the same.
It's very cheap, costing only $11 to $13 a night with a Senior National Park discount. Compare that to $100. + for a hotel.
Sometimes we cook hamburgers, hotdogs, or steak (with all the trimmings) while camped. Otherwise, we eat grandly at the National Park restaurants. Just fabulous. I have such great memories of our trips.

I think we've done 6 or 7 extended camping trips so far with no end in sight.

Last year for our second camping trip of the year, we rode to Rocky Mountain National Park and camped for six nights at the Estes Park Campground Tunnel Road facility. It was superbe. Ate out in Estes every night. Went over the Divide to have lunch in Grand Lake. Did rides every day. Went wildlife viewing and hiking most every day. Got great pictures of elk and moose.
How can it be any better.

Here are just a few pictures from our Glacier trip. 4 were planning to go. One couldn't make it. in Idaho, Mike on the Red Limited had motorcycle problems and had to leave his motor in Boise. He rented a bike to continue with us.

The following users liked this post:
danbrew (05-09-2020)
Old 04-30-2020, 08:23 PM
Hoginedgewood
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,200 Likes on 659 Posts

I must have coffee when I wake. So then theres do I drag my own water? Gas stove? Wood for a fire? Coffee pot?
you cooking breakfast? Dinner?
getting towels to dry while traveling is another consideration. Hard to get 3 showers , two is often too many between washing.

Old 04-30-2020, 09:29 PM
DWKen
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Hoginedgewood
I must have coffee when I wake. So then theres do I drag my own water? Gas stove? Wood for a fire? Coffee pot?
getting towels to dry while traveling is another consideration. Hard to get 3 showers , two is often too many between washing.
One of our group won't go unless we camp where showers every morning are convenient. So it's one of the criteria for campsites. Most national parks have showers in the campgrounds. KOAs have showers. But there are a few places that we can't camp because showers are 10 miles away. It's hard to work that in with breakfast. In Yellowstone, for instance, the showers at the campground were closed last year for remodeling. Nearest shower was at the Canyon campground, 30 miles north. So we planned our days to tour by Canyon most every day.

Planning a trip like this takes a lot of time and effort. Its not like staying at a hotel.

We occasionally cook dinner on the open firepit. But usually we eat at one of the National Park lodges. Great food, fairly expensive. Since our campsite costs almost nothing, expensive meals are OK and a real treat.
We go to a lodge every morning for breakfast. The prices are comparable to Denny's many times. Buffet is usually about $15. Short stack and juice, about $7. Omelette with toast, fruit, potatoes, juice, and pancakes is usually 10 to 12 dollars. Really reasonable.
Lunches? We're usually touring the parks and adjacent areas. We stop at interesting restaurants. Or occasionally, Subway if we have a big meal planned for dinner. One day during our camping at Glacier, we rode up into Canada and had lunch at the Prince Edwards Lodge in Waterton (picture). Just fabulous.

Last edited by DWKen; 04-30-2020 at 09:36 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by DWKen:
BigDogIdaho (04-30-2020), danbrew (05-09-2020), Long lonesome highwayman (05-02-2020)
Old 04-30-2020, 10:33 PM
BigDogIdaho
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by Hoginedgewood
Sounds like it might not be for you.
"Roughing it" isn't for everyone.
I know people who won't ride a motorcycle because it doesn't have all the creature comforts.

Last edited by BigDogIdaho; 04-30-2020 at 10:35 PM.
Old 04-30-2020, 10:37 PM
BigDogIdaho
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by DWKen
Each year's trip is pretty much the highlight of my year. We have such a good group of guys (up to six of us) that enjoy this. Two years ago, we motorcycled up to Glacier National Park. It was pure joy. I love crawling out of my tent into high alpine mountains and the forest. That was over 5,000 miles with 12 nights of camping.
We reserve our campsites in advance (else there won't be a site for us) and usually camp for up to 6 nights, doing lots of tourist stuff while there. Then we'll move to our next campground and do the same.
It's very cheap, costing only $11 to $13 a night with a Senior National Park discount. Compare that to $100. + for a hotel.
Sometimes we cook hamburgers, hotdogs, or steak (with all the trimmings) while camped. Otherwise, we eat grandly at the National Park restaurants. Just fabulous. I have such great memories of our trips.

I think we've done 6 or 7 extended camping trips so far with no end in sight.

Last year for our second camping trip of the year, we rode to Rocky Mountain National Park and camped for six nights at the Estes Park Campground Tunnel Road facility. It was superbe. Ate out in Estes every night. Went over the Divide to have lunch in Grand Lake. Did rides every day. Went wildlife viewing and hiking most every day. Got great pictures of elk and moose.
How can it be any better.

Here are just a few pictures from our Glacier trip. 4 were planning to go. One couldn't make it. in Idaho, Mike on the Red Limited had motorcycle problems and had to leave his motor in Boise. He rented a bike to continue with us.

That is amazing!
Funny, I live maybe 3 miles from that dealership that your friend left his bike at for repairs.
Digging the pics!

Old 05-02-2020, 06:55 AM
Grandslam
Road Warrior
Received 339 Likes on 210 Posts

I have bike camped at two locations where I woke up cold. East Glacier and Canyon CG in Yellowstone. This is in August. Year before last, I added a small fleece blanket and it worked great. I have a good sleeping bag. It would be about 30 in the mornings. Kind of cold sitting at a picnic table in the dark drinking coffee and eating a muffin.

Last edited by Grandslam; 05-02-2020 at 06:56 AM.
The following users liked this post:
BigDogIdaho (05-02-2020)

Quick Reply: Motorcycle camping