Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Cabot Trail

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2020, 05:03 PM
rwtrick
Road Captain
Received 287 Likes on 90 Posts
Default Cabot Trail

Hi All,

I'm planning a ride from Cleveland to the Cabot Trail this coming July. My question for those of you who have ridden the area - do you recommend I make hotel reservations ahead of time? I'm not worried about the ride between Cleveland and Maine - I'm riding the interstate to get to Canada quickly there will be plenty of options, but once I get into New Brunswick and Nova Scotia and specifically the Cabot Trail, should I have reservations made in advance? From my initial look at the area there seems to be plenty on hotel/motel options, but I have no idea how many people visit the area and how quickly things fill up. I'd like to keep this trip as flexible as possible so the fewer reservations made ahead of time the better.

Thank you for any insight you have regarding this!!

Rich

Old 03-05-2020, 05:33 PM
MURPHCC1
Club Member
Received 2,942 Likes on 1,433 Posts

following

Old 03-05-2020, 08:21 PM
Rik17FLH
Tourer
Received 88 Likes on 66 Posts

Hi Rich;

That area can get busy with tourists in the summer months. If I were going back, yes I would book in advance. You can circle the trail in 5 to 6 hours but there is so many views and places to stop, I suggest you plan a few days. The weather in the Canadian Maritimes can be fickle with rain, fog and high winds, so you'll also need a bit of schedule flexibility.
Have a great ride.

The following users liked this post:
Lenaitch (05-15-2020)
Old 03-06-2020, 04:45 AM
rwtrick
Road Captain
Received 287 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Rik17FLH
Hi Rich;

That area can get busy with tourists in the summer months. If I were going back, yes I would book in advance. You can circle the trail in 5 to 6 hours but there is so many views and places to stop, I suggest you plan a few days. The weather in the Canadian Maritimes can be fickle with rain, fog and high winds, so you'll also need a bit of schedule flexibility.
Have a great ride.
Thanks - good advice!!

Old 03-06-2020, 05:07 AM
guido4198
Stellar HDF Member
Received 8,470 Likes on 2,483 Posts

Even in the Summer, it gets cold at night, at least for riding and especially in the higher elevations. In New Brunswick do yourself a favor and visit Fundy National Park. Highest tides in the world. You'll witness a tidal flow that can reach 35 ft. in h.eight Do NOT get caught out on the tidal flats at low tide..!! When it comes back in...it ain't screwing around.

The following users liked this post:
Peter Griffin (03-11-2020)
Old 03-06-2020, 05:36 AM
18deluxerider
Tourer
Received 129 Likes on 84 Posts

Good morning there. So just a heads up maine is prime tourist season in july. For the beaches and parks. So may want to use trivago or price line. they work great. but do take a little planning. Sounds like you are. have fun.

Old 03-06-2020, 06:09 AM
Architect
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,424 Likes on 2,765 Posts

We stayed in Baddeck for four nights at :

http://inveraryresort.com/

Reservations are strongly recommended. The place we stayed was booked the entire time we were there with weddings. Baddeck is a good home base for the area. Good luck.

Old 03-06-2020, 05:05 PM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,269 Likes on 1,846 Posts

We went last year and stayed in New Glasgow in preparation for the ride to the Cabot Trail.

On the trail. we spent two nights in Ingonish Beach mainly in order to take a whale boat excursion.
The place we stayed in was the most expensive of our entire trip but is was a small efficiency like apt. that could sleep two (friendly) couples with a small kitchen and one bathroom that was within walking distance of a good restaurant and a beer store, and a very short ride to a small grocery store that sold pizza, etc.

Leaving from Ingonish Beach, we continued on to Meat Cove and then down the west coastline and eventually ending up back in New Glasgow that evening.

We noticed many motels that did not look like they were "sold out" but then again, as we drove by them it's quite possible that most of their guests had already left and were already on the road.

I personally booked every room for our three week trip (with the exception of one) including our ferry rides to NL and PEI and I would not want to head into such a heavy tourist as the Cabot Trail not knowing if I could find a room(s).
Booking ahead does have it's issues such as being confined to a schedule (which can a PIA in bad weather) but I'd rather have that than not being able find a room.

Old 03-07-2020, 03:47 PM
Tjroadie
Cruiser
Received 111 Likes on 71 Posts

Casa Breeze Inn B& B Oak Bay! Can't wait to return. Yes make reservations and ride counter clock wise. Also Peggy's Cove Lighthouse.

Old 03-07-2020, 04:08 PM
Cosmic Razorback
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 18,028 Likes on 7,307 Posts

Subscribed, looks like an interesting ride!

Quick Reply: Cabot Trail