Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

New to Texas Riding(DFW) Need some rides!

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2020 | 11:19 AM
WhiskeyDingo
|
Novice
Default New to Texas Riding(DFW) Need some rides!

I’m new to Texas riding(Grew up in Utah, riding through Zion and Nevada). The major highways in DFW are too stressful to ride for me.
I’m planning to go do some more Texas riding this spring/summer.

Anyone have any recommendations on some
low trafficked highways/roadways for some small weekend trips? (2-5 hrs)
Call me a Fairweather or a Bluemoon rider or whatever, but I don’t mind trailering my bike out a little ways to avoid 35, 75, 635 at all. You guys who rides those are a lot tougher than me. Just need some help! Getting outside of dallas is tough.

Old 02-12-2020 | 01:42 PM
CrBear
Grand HDF Member

Welcome Whiskey..North 75 isn't bad once you get up around Melissa. 455 is a nice road around there. But I'd ride to Arkansas (about 4 hours to Mena) and go north from there.. Low traffic and great roads. Hill Country (Twisted Sisters) is nice riding too.
You're not going to find "Utah" (hiway 12) quality here.. But agree, in-town traffic can be a bear!

The following 2 users liked this post by CrBear:
deckdr (03-05-2020), WhiskeyDingo (02-19-2020)
Old 02-12-2020 | 04:23 PM
jeb42
Advanced

Originally Posted by WhiskeyDingo
I’m new to Texas riding(Grew up in Utah, riding through Zion and Nevada). The major highways in DFW are too stressful to ride for me.
I’m planning to go do some more Texas riding this spring/summer.

Anyone have any recommendations on some
low trafficked highways/roadways for some small weekend trips? (2-5 hrs)
Call me a Fairweather or a Bluemoon rider or whatever, but I don’t mind trailering my bike out a little ways to avoid 35, 75, 635 at all. You guys who rides those are a lot tougher than me. Just need some help! Getting outside of dallas is tough.
Head out to Jefferson TX. Lots of good scenery and places to eat
. Moyers OK is also a good ride. Stop at the Kriver campground and get a drink.

The following users liked this post:
deckdr (03-05-2020)
Old 02-13-2020 | 01:57 AM
robarosa
Road Master

As jeb42 said, out towards Jefferson area. Couple of rallies there. Check out Auntie's Skinner's in old town. Pretty dead on Monday, but can be crowded at times. Many B&B there if you want to stay a few days as a center hub for riding. Quiet area unless a rally is on.

South of that is several National Forests. Great riding there. Watch for deer. Well, watch for deer all over around here.

Nice ride to Mineola to East Texas Burger Co. Looks good this weekend for the trip.

Then, Fredericksburg and Bandera favorite spot for bikers.

East side of Texas is hills and lakes. West side is wide open, South has little of everything.

Always like to ride out to Comanche, Hamilton and loop back.

Check out Ride Texas magazine. Always good info about Texas, rallies and general motorcycle riding stuff. Highly recommend this magazine.Get it in WM or Barnes and Noble. Here's the web site.
https://www.ridetexas.com/

Texas parks visiting centers and motels have a small pamphlet has what most every town has to offer at different times of year.

I'm down in East Texas and see of lot of Dallas area riders making a loop through here.

There was a fellow from Dallas area looking for folks to make rides. Maybe he will chime in, or I'll look around for the thread.

Lot of Texas to ride.

WhiskeyDingo (02-19-2020)
Old 02-13-2020 | 09:57 AM
piper59
Elite HDF Member

If you get the chance ride on down to Big Bend National park.Nice riding through there as is the Texas Hill country.

Old 02-14-2020 | 10:28 AM
gtmalone
Tourer

Many of the "FM" roads around here are pretty nice for a few hours ride plus what others said about east TX and riding up to Mena, AR.

I'm in Allen and ride these roads pretty often - FM1827, FM1327, FM545, FM546, FM121, FM455, FM2862, FM3133. Good BBQ in Tioga at Clark's. Breakfast/lunch at Cattlemans in Blue Ridge or breakfast/lunch at Lucy's in Celina.

The trip to Mena is pretty nice. You can do it from DFW over a three day weekend - one day to Mena, spend a day riding in AR (it's pretty much pick a road), one day home. The Talimena Scenic Drive is one of my favorite roads. I've ridden it a dozen times. This is my usual route to get to Mena:
https://maps.harley-davidson.com/share/rides/4TqEZltgu

Stay at the Lime Tree Inn in Mena. Decent motel with a restaurant. If you're into camping, the Queen Wilhelmena State Park is pretty good and there is a restaurant at the lodge. The lodge is 100+ per night. Tent camping is about 15 bucks.

It's also pretty nice from Paris, TX, then FM195 to TX37/OK37 to Idabell, then US259 north to the Talimena (except from Idabel to Hochatown). Watch out for tourist traffic between Broken Bow and Hochatown.

WhiskeyDingo (02-19-2020)
Old 02-14-2020 | 10:49 AM
duoglider
Road Warrior

take 67 South out of DFW and work your way to Meridian. Stop at one of the two restaurants and have some great Tex Mex for lunch. Then head to Goldwaithe and pick up SH 16 South. There is an endless discovery of great roads awaiting.

CrBear (02-16-2020)
Old 02-16-2020 | 05:15 PM
GWDrake
Stage II

What part of DFW? I rode today on PGBT, DNT, and I 35. Sundays are not as busy on those highways. If you go North, there are roads that take you through some really nice areas.

Old 02-19-2020 | 09:42 AM
WhiskeyDingo
|
Novice

Originally Posted by gtmalone
Many of the "FM" roads around here are pretty nice for a few hours ride plus what others said about east TX and riding up to Mena, AR.

I'm in Allen and ride these roads pretty often - FM1827, FM1327, FM545, FM546, FM121, FM455, FM2862, FM3133. Good BBQ in Tioga at Clark's. Breakfast/lunch at Cattlemans in Blue Ridge or breakfast/lunch at Lucy's in Celina.

The trip to Mena is pretty nice. You can do it from DFW over a three day weekend - one day to Mena, spend a day riding in AR (it's pretty much pick a road), one day home. The Talimena Scenic Drive is one of my favorite roads. I've ridden it a dozen times. This is my usual route to get to Mena:
https://maps.harley-davidson.com/share/rides/4TqEZltgu

Stay at the Lime Tree Inn in Mena. Decent motel with a restaurant. If you're into camping, the Queen Wilhelmena State Park is pretty good and there is a restaurant at the lodge. The lodge is 100+ per night. Tent camping is about 15 bucks.

It's also pretty nice from Paris, TX, then FM195 to TX37/OK37 to Idabell, then US259 north to the Talimena (except from Idabel to Hochatown). Watch out for tourist traffic between Broken Bow and Hochatown.

is there an atlas of the FM roads somewhere? I’ve been looking around and can’t seem to find a map with strictly FM roads highlighted. Do you know any closer to the White Rock area?

If the weather permits it, ill head up North this weekend and try to find of the ones you mentioned towards Allen

Old 02-19-2020 | 09:47 AM
WhiskeyDingo
|
Novice

Originally Posted by GWDrake
What part of DFW? I rode today on PGBT, DNT, and I 35. Sundays are not as busy on those highways. If you go North, there are roads that take you through some really nice areas.

I live in Lochwood(around White Rock/Old East Dallas) I was driving around this weekend and noticed that traffic wasn’t terrible Sunday/Monday and there was a little rally up by a bar on NW Highway. Anywhere cool to ride to if I just keep riding down NW towards Wylie? Or Lavon Lake? I’ve never really been that way

Quick Reply: New to Texas Riding(DFW) Need some rides!