Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

New to Texas Riding(DFW) Need some rides!

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2020 | 09:53 AM
CrBear
Grand HDF Member

Grew up around the White Rock area (off NW Highway?). You're pretty much in the middle of traffic. You'll have to go a ways to find FM roads.
Broken Bow maybe your closest roads. map out Paris Harley then to Broken Bow OK, Mena, AR

Old 02-19-2020 | 09:57 AM
CrBear
Grand HDF Member
The following users liked this post:
WhiskeyDingo (02-19-2020)
Old 02-19-2020 | 10:21 AM
WhiskeyDingo
|
Novice

Originally Posted by CrBear
Grew up around the White Rock area (off NW Highway?). You're pretty much in the middle of traffic. You'll have to go a ways to find FM roads.
Broken Bow maybe your closest roads. map out Paris Harley then to Broken Bow OK, Mena, AR
Yeah, not right off NW and Jupiter.

I think that’s one of my major issues with trying to get out. Takes me about an hour just to get out of the city. I’ve heard a lot about Broken Bow, might try to find a route there

Old 02-19-2020 | 10:23 AM
HockeyCoach
Advanced
Default Three Sisters

Originally Posted by WhiskeyDingo
I’m new to Texas riding(Grew up in Utah, riding through Zion and Nevada). The major highways in DFW are too stressful to ride for me.
I’m planning to go do some more Texas riding this spring/summer.

Anyone have any recommendations on some
low trafficked highways/roadways for some small weekend trips? (2-5 hrs)
Call me a Fairweather or a Bluemoon rider or whatever, but I don’t mind trailering my bike out a little ways to avoid 35, 75, 635 at all. You guys who rides those are a lot tougher than me. Just need some help! Getting outside of dallas is tough.
Not exactly 2-5 hours from Dallas and back but this ride, except for maybe Big Bend, is the best in Texas:

TX-16 from Kerrville to Medina
RR-337 from Medina to Camp Wood
TX-55 from Camp Wood to Barksdale
RR-335 from Barksdale to TX-41
TX-41 from RR-335 to RR-336
RR-336 from TX-41 to Leakey
RR-337 and TX-187 Leakey to Lost Maples State Natural Area
TX-187 and TX-39 to Kerville

https://goo.gl/maps/5yB7GDAKaW3WGUmv6
3 hours, 17 minutes
157 miles

https://goo.gl/maps/knbdw5uBE8zQwjwp7
1 hour 32 minutes
66.6 miles

Old 02-21-2020 | 10:11 AM
Grove Rat
Cruiser

Whisky,

Welcome to the Metro Mess and I live in Mesquite so I generally like to head east to escape the traffic. There are a couple other members on here that I meet up with from time to time and we cruise around East Texas. If you want to send me a PM and exchange contact info we can add your number to the text invite when we plan a ride. We're not a club just guys that like to ride, wives are welcome, all are welcome and we don't care what you ride. We are open to ride ideas if you have something in mind that you may be interested in checking out throw it out there.

Advice for DFW traffic, leave town early when possible and grab breakfast once you are out of Big D and in a small town, then start your ride from there. I've lived here my whole life so the traffic is normal to me, not that I like it. Some people that haven't grown up in it never get used to it but you can't let it stop you just stay alert, assume you are invisible and pick your times when you have the least risk.

Old 02-22-2020 | 01:45 PM
GWDrake
Stage II

If you ride NE out of Dallas on SH 78 past Garland, you will have access to a lot of roads once you pass over PGBT.
Past Wylie and Farmersville, you can go NE to Blue Ridge and then go back west towards McKinney. Go south around Lake Lavon and then go back south to SH 78.

Old 02-22-2020 | 05:27 PM
gtmalone
Tourer

Originally Posted by GWDrake
If you ride NE out of Dallas on SH 78 past Garland, you will have access to a lot of roads once you pass over PGBT.
Past Wylie and Farmersville, you can go NE to Blue Ridge and then go back west towards McKinney. Go south around Lake Lavon and then go back south to SH 78.
If you want to come up this way give a shout and I could meet you in Farmersville and show you some roads. Plan on most of a day. Good BBQ in Tioga at Clark's.
https://maps.harley-davidson.com/share/rides/4T0fw5Ntk

For east TX, take US80 east to Wills Point or Mineola then north, south, or east.

The roads aren't marked "FM" on most maps, just the number. On Google Maps the FM roads and county roads are in a rectangle, state roads are circle/oval. In some cases the "FM" roads might be called "ranch road". "FM" stands for farm to market.

Last edited by gtmalone; 02-22-2020 at 05:35 PM.