Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

The Open Road - Adventures of Cosmic Razorback

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2019 | 06:20 PM
Cosmic Razorback
|
Seasoned HDF Member
Default The Open Road - Adventures of Cosmic Razorback

Okay like a few others I’m starting a thread to put all our travels under. So here we go and I’ll include links to previous rides.

December 21, 2019 Annual NC to Florida Christmas Ride

Well it’s that time of year again. Really hard to believe it’s been a year now since the first Christmas ride I did with the wife. So I’m sitting here running through all the details in my head. Been planning for weeks and the weather has fluctuated from good, to bad, to okay, to cold, to wet. But my wife is a trooper and looking forward to the ride as much as I am. We’ll be rolling out in the morning at 0900 with a temp of 34 degrees F. Looks like we’ll find temps in the 50’s before we stop for the night in the great state of Alabama. About 400 miles tomorrow and then 250 miles Sunday in the RAIN. No worries we have the heated gear, great rain gear and plenty of time! Looks like Monday through Friday is Sunny and high 60’s to low 70’s! What makes these year end rides so great is just not having to be anywhere at any certain time. We do have a beautiful room reserved for five days on the Gulf coast and then we’ll head East to visit an old Friend in Jacksonville and then continue on for a couple of days in St. Augustine area before heading back North (weather permitting) to be back home by New Years. The wife has to be back at work on Friday the 3rd but I am off until Monday the 6th!

Stay tuned and I’ll update our travels and adventures daily!

The Big Green Sled is on the Open Road Again!

Last edited by Cosmic Razorback; 12-20-2019 at 06:28 PM.
The following users liked this post:
rauchman (02-27-2022)

Popular Reply

07-26-2023, 03:06 PM
Cosmic Razorback
Seasoned HDF Member
Default The End

We arrived home safely Tuesday of last week around 5:30pm. Ginger ran flawlessly, the new Pro-Action rear shocks were a God send, the sheep skin was sweet and it's great to be home.

Our rain gear never left the saddle bags, but we did stay in one day and delayed a couple of departure times to avoid wet conditions.

The total ride was 11 days, 10 states and 2,131 miles.

Thank you, Lord, for safety and the ability to enjoy this beautiful country and meet so many nice people along the way.

The final days mileage = 222 miles

The total trip mileage = 2,131 miles

Ginger now has 9,266 miles on her. That is 5,600 miles since we bought her in last February.

I would like to add that we never at any time during this trip felt unsafe. Of course, we were not out at night but this was a very nice trip that we will remember for many years to come.

Thank you all for the "likes" and positive comments.

Ride safe.

Old 12-20-2019 | 06:35 PM
Papa G
Outstanding HDF Member

Sounds awesome can’t wait to see the updates!

Old 12-20-2019 | 09:42 PM
FatboysFatboy96
Seasoned HDF Member

Where on the Gulf Coast? Stay safe.

Old 12-22-2019 | 10:03 AM
Cosmic Razorback
|
Seasoned HDF Member

North Carolina to Florida Year End Christmas Ride 2019

Day 1

Praise be to God for a wonderful first day ride. We rolled out of our house at 0815 with a full tank of fuel, probably 30 lbs. of gear and the thermo-meter reading 34F. We quickly rolled onto I-40 West bound and the roads were dry and clear. We stopped just before Ashville at the Swannanoa exit for a quick breakfast and to top off the tank with fuel. Lots of cars over in the parking lot at HD of Ashville. Traffic was light until we reached the merger of I-26 to I-40 West bound in Ashville. It quickly backed up to 15 to 20 mph in all lanes for a few miles. No worries as we are not on any time schedule. In no time we were leaning right for at NV exit #27 for The Great Smokey Mountain Expressway. Traffic was normal again and the temps had already climbed into the low 40’s.

We were extremely comfortable. The wife was wearing her favorite Under Armor base layer under he leather britches and looking sharp. She really likes HD winter socks and was styling with her water proof Style Martin leather boots. She had her favorite HD riding long sleeve t-shirt on using her Gerbing heated jacket liner under the HD Killian Jacket. It’s our second season with these jackets and we LOVE them. I was wearing my Under-Armor fleece lined base layer under Duluth fleece lined Fire Hose pants which re SUPER comfortable and the pockets are GREAT for riding. I also wore my Gerbing jacket liner over a 115th anniversary button up shirt which is heavy and my Killian jacket topping it off. I’m a Klim sock guy and wear Style Martin water proof CE rated boots and used by Gerbing G4 heated gloves.

So we were extremely comfortable and warm. We were both turning the heat down by midday.

In no time we had rolled past Smokey Mountain Steel Horses that is now the Indian dealership. The open sign was lit but no one in the parking lot. Then past Sylva and Western Carolina University. Next was the three exits to Bryson City. If you have not been there is it a great place to visit and take a train ride! We rolled past the Moonshiners 28, followed the beautiful Tuckasegee River. I love those homes along the river that have their own private bridges over to them. Then we came to my favorite part where we come to the end of the four lane and enter the beautiful Nantahala National Forest. We took our next stop at the NOC “Nantahala Outdoor Center”. Walked around and took a few pictures. It looks COLD but actually very nice. Amazing to see it so quiet there. Go in the summer and try to find a parking place on Saturday!

Back on the road in about 30 minutes and time for route decisions. Originally, we were going to ride over to Cleveland, TN and run down I-75. But the weather was just too nice, and we were making good time. The goal was to simply reach our hotel in Talladega, AL by dark! The next think I know I see this HUGE chopper on the size of the road. I braked hard and we made a quick stop at Cherokee County Cycles to get a firsthand look at “BIG”. It was a good stop and I tipped the lady for allowing my wife to sit on the chopper. It is an actual working, running bike with S & S engine. It measures 22 feet long overall and travels up to 30 MPH. It has two out riggers to keep it from falling over and a semi rear tire!

So, we crossed the border into Georgia. We ended up on 411 and the next thing we now we are at Southern Devil Harley Davidson in Cartersville, GA. They were super nice folks. He had a water break, looked at the new CVO trike which is on sale for $50K this month only! I bought a few poker chips and it was time to ride. It was starting to sprinkle and for the next two hours we rode in and out of light sprinkles. We turned right out of the dealership back onto 411 and honestly made so many turns on little two-lane roads that I got myself lost! Next thing I know we are at I-20 and jumped on West bound and traffic was rolling 80 MPH +. The Spiked Olive got to stretch her legs. We jumped off on Hwy 21 and in no time arrived at the Holiday Inn Express in Talladega, AL right at dark. My wife was so happy and the first comments out of her mouth were “What a Fantastic Day” and gave me a big hug. We ordered dinner to be delivered from a local Italian place, unloaded the bike with what we needed and settled in for a good night’s rest knowing we would be in no hurry tomorrow with the rain rolling in.

So, it is now Sunday morning the 22nd. Just three days to Christmas! We have showered, had breakfast and plenty of coffee. It is raining like crazy now but already clearing in Pensacola our next destination. We have an 11 am check out and only a short 280-mile ride today. We’ll leave after 11 and if we have to suit up we will. The weather radar looks like we may get a clearing with spotted showers for a while. Check in is not until 4 pm so “No Hurry, No Worries”.

God Bless and enjoy your Sunday.

Thank you, Lord, for the season and for your son Jesus.

The following 2 users liked this post by Cosmic Razorback:
rauchman (02-27-2022), tphillips (03-15-2020)
Old 12-22-2019 | 10:14 AM
Cosmic Razorback
|
Seasoned HDF Member

Day 1 Photos

The following 5 users liked this post by Cosmic Razorback:
Greg Midi (10-19-2020), rauchman (02-09-2024), redfin00 (05-31-2024), Spanners39 (07-02-2024), Spivitz (09-25-2022)
Old 12-22-2019 | 10:19 AM
Cosmic Razorback
|
Seasoned HDF Member
redfin00 (05-31-2024), robarosa (12-22-2019)
Old 12-22-2019 | 10:34 AM
Cosmic Razorback
|
Seasoned HDF Member
Greg Midi (10-19-2020), redfin00 (05-31-2024)
Old 12-22-2019 | 10:38 AM
Cosmic Razorback
|
Seasoned HDF Member

Pay the lady to sit on the chopper!!!!!!!!!

The following 5 users liked this post by Cosmic Razorback:
ajcjr (03-20-2020), nobodyknowsme (06-11-2020), redfin00 (05-31-2024), robarosa (12-22-2019), WillSin865 (12-22-2019)
Old 12-22-2019 | 10:40 AM
Cosmic Razorback
|
Seasoned HDF Member

Well the rain has not let up here in Talladega. We have our raide gear on, it's 20 minutes to check out and we are going to roll!

Probably not a lot of pictures today, but we have some exciting travels over the next four days with SUNNY skies and 70 degree temps!

Old 12-22-2019 | 03:13 PM
robarosa
Road Master

Thanks for sharing. Enjoyed the ride along.

The following users liked this post:
Cosmic Razorback (12-23-2019)

Quick Reply: The Open Road - Adventures of Cosmic Razorback