Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

The Open Road - Adventures of Cosmic Razorback

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2021 | 06:50 AM
Cosmic Razorback
|
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 18,279 Likes on 7,400 Posts
Default Remembering Ridng Buddies

Back in 2014 I lost two riding buddies within three days of each other. To deal with this I put something on paper and sent to my closest friends. I was thinking of them both on my Christmas Eve ride and remembered this letter. Please endulge me as I share this in their honor.

September 3, 2014

Don Tilley 1936-2014

Dan Willard 1980-2014

I want to thank the Lord for saving me and for his marvelous grace. Those that know me well know I like to write and tell stories of experiences, thoughts and life’s lessons. Please indulge me as you read this and hopefully you will understand why I have taken a moment to share this with you.

On Friday August 29, 2014 we lost a good friend and legend in the motorcycle world. While I morn his death my heart also breaks for wife Robinette who suffered serious injuries and for Don’s family, employees and multitude of friends. While it was a real shock and just takes the wind out of your sails you have to appreciate that Don was a riding machine and died doing what he loved more than anything else in the world. Nothing prepares you for a loss like this but it is a fitting ending to a man that has logged over a million miles on two wheels. I first met Don when he walked into my business about 15 years ago wanting a bearing for a project he was working on. I knew who he was and introduced myself. He was friendly, shared with me what he was working on and thanked me for helping him out. He was mostly quiet and did not have a whole lot to say. As time went on we became a customer and part of the Tilley HD family in 2008. I enjoyed getting to know Don & Robinette and when they both thanked me for my service to the chapter it meant a lot. I learned that Don was a kind and humble man which is an admirable quality. He was far more accomplished, respected and admired in the motorcycle community than anyone I knew. In December I showed up the day after Christmas at the dealership to ride with Don on his annual “No Plans” ride. One of my best friends Ralph was there also. It was a cold heated gear day but the weather was dry. Don looked at us, smiled real big and asked if we needed gasoline as he put his helmet and gloves on. We were off on a four day ride through four states covering close to 2000 miles. I will cherish that experience a life time and thank the Lord for giving me that opportunity and for keeping us safe as we literally burned up the asphalt. I can fill up a dozen pages covering just that trip! I cannot tell you the respect I gained for Don while talking as we ate meals and at our down times in the evens. Don shared his life story with Ralph and me and the Lord really blessed him with good fortune, a strong supportive wife and the opportunity to do what he wanted to do. He worked hard but got to enjoy the fruits of his labor in a way most will never know. I think Kyle Petty said it best:

“Even though he was 5-foot-something, I always looked up to him. He was always so kind and humble.”

While I will miss Don I can be happy that he lived a full life and allowed me to be a small part of that. I will also cherish the stories he shared with me. I am better off for having known him. Rest in Peace Don.

I arrived home from work Tuesday evening September 2nd and while we had enjoyed a nice Labor Day holiday the attitude was still somber thinking about Don Tilley and hearing updates on Robinette. As we enjoyed dinner my wife’s Aunt Hazel called to thank me for sending Dan Willard to her house to do some yard work. She was very pleased with what he did and even more complimentary of Dan as a fine individual. Dan’s love for the Lord and his positive testimony could be seen in all he did. Well at 9:01 pm our home phone rang and Tommie came running as soon as she heard my comments knowing that I was shocked, upset and that something bad had happened. The church was calling to tell us that Brother Dan Willard was killed today at 5:28pm riding his motorcycle home from work. This is where I have a real struggle and appreciate your understanding. Dan was on the way home to his lovely wife Stephanie, his 11 year old son Noah and daughters Faith and Emma. Dan loved riding motorcycles and while he did not have a fancy education, a job with a title or a major business he had something more special that money could not buy. Dan loved the Lord and served him first with all he did. Dan had a beautiful family that all loved and served the Lord and the inheritance he left far exceeds anything money can buy. Dan worked hard at several jobs to provide for his family and allow Stephanie to be home and a full time mother to his three precious children. If the church doors were open Dan and his family were in their places. Noah sings in the choir, Stephanie plays the piano and we were often blessed to have the whole family sing! My heart breaks for this family like nothing I have experienced before. Part of that comes from watching them be so faithful to the church and the Lord. The other part is that Dan told me every Sunday “Brother I love you”. Dan was just 34 years old. He will not see his children grow up, graduate or walk his daughters down the aisle.

Both men are huge in so many ways. We will miss them both. My life is much better having known both.

I feel it important to tell my friends about my brother in Christ Dan Willard. He will not need a high school auditorium to seat all those paying respects but those that knew Dan know him as a giant of a man. We can rejoice and celebrate his life knowing he was saved. Dan I love you and I already miss you.

We are blessed to meet people that make a positive impact on our lives. Sometimes it is just for a moment, some times a day, week, month or a lifetime. Regardless cherish that moment. Don’t miss an opportunity to tell a friend or family member you Love them. Even more important and what I hope everyone takes from this is we are not promised tomorrow. The gift of eternal life in the kingdom of Heaven is free for the asking.

Jesus Christ – Please do not leave Earth without him.

If you received this you know I love you.

God Bless
Mark

The following 2 users liked this post by Cosmic Razorback:
Rob Harper (12-29-2021), sam_spade (12-29-2021)
Old 12-28-2021 | 08:40 AM
StoneTrekker
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,980 Likes on 955 Posts

I can only say "Thank You" for taking the time to share that remembrance. It's good to hit 'pause' and think about what we have...and what has been lost.

Old 12-28-2021 | 09:36 AM
Cosmic Razorback
|
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Dillbilly Bone
I can only say "Thank You" for taking the time to share that remembrance. It's good to hit 'pause' and think about what we have...and what has been lost.

Amen brother, Thank you.

Old 12-28-2021 | 07:08 PM
Cosmic Razorback
|
Seasoned HDF Member
Default The "Snake" meets "The Snake"

Tuesday December 28, 2021

Last ride for 2021.

In Honor of Don Tilley and Dan Willard. They both would have enjoyed this ride.

I am off until the 4th and got my honey do list done early. The Carolina Girl had to work today. So sorry! She came home for lunch and I had my riding gear on and was glad to hear her say "Have FUN and be safe"!

I rolled out of our non-disclosed bunker just West of the twin cities that tobacco built at 11:30am. It was already 68 degrees and climbing. After 5.25 gallons of $3.99/9 per gallon I was on the road heading to the high county. Rolling up Hwy 421 North toward the Moonshine capital of the world I saw an opportunity to safely roll on the throttle. Belinda was purring little a kitten and we saw triple digits very quickly from a 70mph roll on in 5th gear. It felt good!

My first stop was at Crossroads HD to see what's happening and say hello to Micah and Karen. Micah was wearing three hats today and was behind the parts counter so I did not bother him. Mike and Karen said hello and they were knee deep into changing the showroom around a little. I did not want to be in their way and the Open Road was calling. The temp-o-meter was already showing 74 degrees!

I leaned left out of the dealership and headed up Hwy 421 North. In no time I crossed over the peak of the Blue Ridge at te BRP. The altitude there is 3127 feet and the temp had dropped to 68 degrees. I knew where I wanted to go but was getting hungry. Boone was coming up quickly and I planned to stop at the old downtown section and enjoy lunch at one of the trendy resturants. Well so much for tha idea. I think the entire world decided to meet in Boone today. Traffic was the worst I have seen and there was not a parking space anywhere on the main street. The sidewalks were busy with people shoulder to shoulder. Yeah no Covid issues in Boone today.

Finally got though and just decided to head to Mt. City, TN and grab a quick burger at Micky D's to old be over until dinner. I hit the Tennessee state line at 88 miles from home and grabbed a picture.

Yeah I know, McDonalds, really. Well I need quick and easy and it was both.

Now I am getting excited. The Snake begins in just a couple of miles and it's only 10 miles or so to Shady Valley, Tennessee. There were a few other bikes out today. Most were solo like myself and I saw one group of four Harleys. There was also a girl up at the Shady Valley store on a Suzuki sport bike taking a break.

The Snake Venom SGS was made to run "The Snake". She felt right at home and we both had a good time running through the twisties. The skies were overcast in strange way today. You could just tell the winter was not far away. I did not take the GoPro, so no photo's on the Snake. The road was in perfect shape and only one curve had a little bit of dried mud. Otherwise you could run it as fast as your heart desired.

The resturant in the back with the red roof was open. If I had known they would be there I would have waited to eat. They make a fantastic cheesburger!

Mileage from home to Shady Valley, TN

It's 3pm now and I have to take a hard look at my route to allow me to be back home by dark and not to a total back track. I leaned right onto Hwy 133 and headed toward Damascus, VA.That is the direction I wanted to go to be able to grab a few pistures at the "World's Shortest Tunnel". But I did not have time to run Hwy 58 back over to Hwy 16 which is an awesome ride. So I did run back over to Mt. City, TN.

This road is an old railroad bes and follows the river for about 10 miles. A beautiful area to ride in. We have hiked up on top of the tunnel rock once. Nice view from up there.

World's Shortest Tunnel

You can hike up to that viewiing deck for a nice look at the river.

Continued;

Last edited by Cosmic Razorback; 12-28-2021 at 07:24 PM.
The following users liked this post:
CanadianRocky (02-22-2022)
Old 12-28-2021 | 07:20 PM
Cosmic Razorback
|
Seasoned HDF Member

Continued:

The Snake, meets The SNAKE!

Last ride of 2021

This water looks clear enough to drink!

Passed through with the tunnel in the background.

I wore the Shoei J-Cruise without the face shield today. The drop down visor allows me to use my everyday prescription glasses.

Total Mileage for the day.

Thanks for riding along and allowing me to share some of my favorite roads and destinations.

Total Ride Time - 6 Hours

Total Mileage = 236

Gasoline - 5.25 Gallons

Three States - NC, TN & VA

Temperatures 68 to 74 degrees in December!

Home before dark.

The following 6 users liked this post by Cosmic Razorback:
bentryder (12-29-2021), Brian Sparrow (02-12-2022), CanadianRocky (01-06-2022), jessultra (12-29-2021), Rob Harper (12-29-2021), sam_spade (12-29-2021) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 02-12-2022 | 07:25 PM
Cosmic Razorback
|
Seasoned HDF Member

2022 has got off to a very slow riding season so far. We moved at the end of 2021, the Carolina Girl had minor surgery and then the weather went south! But there are a few things to report.

First of all I upgraded the rear suspension on Belinda to the new HD SE Ohlins. I set it for two up riding and had the opportunity to ride solo last weekend. Fast forward and we did 200 miles two up today. About 30 miles in I made a slight adjustment and WOW these shocks are freaking awesome! The Carolina girl kept complimenting them all day and again when we returned home. We are both happy with the handling, ride and the look.

If you want to see more on this bike and the improvements we have made click on this link to take you directly to the thread in the Touring Section:

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...-upgrades.html

Old 02-12-2022 | 07:52 PM
Cosmic Razorback
|
Seasoned HDF Member
Default Smokin HD Polar Bear Ride In Bike Show

Saturday February 5th was a sunny COLD day here in NC. Temps started out in the mid 30's and finally made it into the low 40's. I rode to Smokin in Winston-Salem to enter in the Polar Bear Ride In Bike Show. There were 9 bikes that entered including a trike, a custom and even a Honda. I won 2nd place with 68 total points out of a possible 75. It was fun, I enjoyed trying out the new Ohlins suspension and never got cold. Rode a total round trip of 64 miles.

We got up and made breakfast.

Hum Good!

Anthony and his side kick were registering the bikes.

The legion himself, David Willett. In the HD Hall of Fame, over 1 million documented miles, 417k on a HD Ultra with the original motor, 388k on another Ultra. He is 88 years old and rides every day.

The Carolina Girl drove over to enjoy the event.

Ray Perry one of the owners doing the judging.

They had 95 used bikes on display outdoors and probably another 30 or so inside. Not many new bikes.

We stopped for some Thai food on the way home. Made for a great day.

Old 02-12-2022 | 08:08 PM
Cosmic Razorback
|
Seasoned HDF Member
Default Happy Valentines Day 2022

Saturday February 12, 2022

It was 70 degrees today and sunny in our neck of the woods. I told the Carolina Girl that was was going to take her for a nice enjoyable ride, visit a couple fo dealerships and then have a nice lunch in Pinehurst to celebrate "Valentine's Day" and how much I love her! The day was a hit all the way around. Beautiful weather, lots of bikes out, events happening at dealerships, excellent lunch and dessert. Plus she absolutely loved the ride of the SGS with the new Ohlins suspension.

We started our day with pancakes, bacon, orange juice and coffee. Rolled out at 10:45 am heading to *** HD in Asheboro, NC. They were having a Chili Cookoff and a blood drive. At least a 100 bikes there when we arrived. They had an excellent inventory of 2022 models and motor cloths was stocked very well. I had to purchase a t-shirt with a cobra snake on it!

My new t-shirt

SOLD, but he said he will have two more next week.

She's Purple

The first stop at *** Asheboro was 55 miles. We stopped midway and made a minor adjustment to the rebound on the Ohlins!

Old 02-12-2022 | 08:15 PM
Cosmic Razorback
|
Seasoned HDF Member

The next stop was at ***'s Double Eagle HD in West End, NC just outside of Pinehurst.

They also have an excellent inventory of new 2022 models as wel as some clean used bikes.

Old 02-12-2022 | 08:25 PM
Cosmic Razorback
|
Seasoned HDF Member

We leaned right out of Double Eagle and went into Pinehurst and stopped at the Village. I let the Carolina Girl pick out the restaurant of her choice. We had an excellent meal and even better dessert. Happy Valentines Day!

Pinehulub House

Total mileage for today's ride

The following 2 users liked this post by Cosmic Razorback:
CanadianRocky (02-22-2022), Rob Harper (02-14-2022)

Quick Reply: The Open Road - Adventures of Cosmic Razorback