Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

The Open Road - Adventures of Cosmic Razorback

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2021 | 10:39 AM
Cosmic Razorback
|
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 18,279 Likes on 7,400 Posts

Continuing local history in Davie County, NC:

On what was a normal day back in March 2000 our little community was overwhelmed by a large number of black government SUV's. Little did I know at the time that one of America's greatest hero's from WWII was being buried. They kept this on the QT and afterwards I learned that Thomas Wilson Ferebee was a native of Davie County and was buried here. My wife had never mentioned it but they knew Thomas and she knew is daughter very well.

https://www.ncpedia.org/biography/ferebee-thomas

If you do not know his name you definately know the role he played in WWII.

Thomas Wilson Ferebee was born into a large farm family outside Mocksville in Davie County on November 19, 1918. He attended local public schools and excelled in sports in high school and college. At Lees-McRae College in Banner Elk, he lettered in track, basketball, and football, and he looked forward to a major-league baseball career. Unfortunately, a football injury ended these plans. So Ferebee joined the Army Air Corps in the summer of 1941, only months before America’s entry into World War II.

At 2:45 a.m. on the morning of August 6, 1945, Tibbets rolled down a runway on Tinian in a B-29, named Enola Gay after his mother. The plane headed toward the Japanese mainland with van Kirk and Ferebee among its crew. At 8:15 a.m., over the city of Hiroshima, Ferebee opened the bomb bay doors and released an atomic bomb nicknamed “
Little Boy.” The atomic bomb exploded with a blinding flash forty-three seconds later, destroying much of the city.

On 16-03-2000, Colonel Thomas Wilson Ferebee passed away at his home at the old age of 81. Colonel Ferebee is resting in the Wesley Chapel United Methodist Church in Mocksville, Davie County, NC.

I wish I had got the opportunity to meet and shake this mans hand. Best I can do now is visit his grave sight and pay my respects. We lost a dear friend from our church in December. He was a WWII vet and served on the P51 Mustang maintenance crew stationed in Alaska. If you get the chance to shake the hand of any military veteran do it, especially our WWII vets. They are leaving us quickly and they are amazing people that we can all learn from. They stepped up like never before in the history of the world.

On the ride back toward home I captured this picture. The corn fields are in full beauty right now.

Last edited by Cosmic Razorback; 07-08-2021 at 11:06 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Cosmic Razorback:
CanadianRocky (07-08-2021), deadhawg (07-08-2021)
Old 07-08-2021 | 11:14 AM
CanadianRocky
Club Member
Received 21,836 Likes on 9,590 Posts

Mark... i need your local expertise... as you know, I am planning on riding the BRP... I want to do it in the fall when the leaves change... when is the best time in the fall to see it at is peak in your area, and up on the BRP itself... my thinking is that I ride from the West coast to Newfoundland in the first there weeks of September (next year, or the year after), and then head south... from what I have been able to ascertain, the last week of September is the best time to head south out of the Maritime provinces... your thoughts?

My thinking is that after the east coast, I head west through Texas and hit the west coast sometime in early November, then up the coast to BC to stay out of the mountains and avoid any early winter snows.

The following users liked this post:
Cosmic Razorback (07-08-2021)
Old 07-08-2021 | 12:24 PM
Cosmic Razorback
|
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by CanadianRocky
Mark... i need your local expertise... as you know, I am planning on riding the BRP... I want to do it in the fall when the leaves change... when is the best time in the fall to see it at is peak in your area, and up on the BRP itself... my thinking is that I ride from the West coast to Newfoundland in the first there weeks of September (next year, or the year after), and then head south... from what I have been able to ascertain, the last week of September is the best time to head south out of the Maritime provinces... your thoughts?

My thinking is that after the east coast, I head west through Texas and hit the west coast sometime in early November, then up the coast to BC to stay out of the mountains and avoid any early winter snows.
Rocky,

That sounds like a fantastic ride.

October is the magic month here, usually mid to late month, but it depends on your elevation. Leaves will begin changing first on the highest peaks and conclude in the lower elevations.

There is no simple formula for predicting Fall color. The Parkway includes east and west facing slopes, and varies in elevation from just under 650 feet at James River in Virginia, to over 6,000 feet south of Mt. Pisgah in North Carolina. Then the weather including temperatures and rain play a huge factor in the color change.

Many visitors have been frustrated trying to go to one spot on one day in October, hoping to find the leaves in full color. A far better plan is to drive some distance along the Blue Ridge Parkway, changing elevations and north-south orientation. Any one who does this around mid to late October will likely catch at least some sections at or very near their peak color.

We are an hour south of the parkway at an elevation of 860 feet and it's late October here for us. I look forward to seeing you. Hopefully by then we will have a place for you to stay overnight here and enjoy a wonderful home cooked meal! Our home renovation has slowed but should be done by September.

Mark

P.S. I haven't forgot the steak dinner. LOL

Below is the current 2021 Predictions:

September 27 - October 7

At the highest elevations, close to 6,000 feet there is some color, but it's often very spotty and muted. The views from these locations will be mostly green, since the areas viewed are lower elevations. Areas that turn early in this date and elevation range include Graveyard Fields and Rough Ridge.

October 1 - 10

Peak time for areas above 5,000 feet. This would include: Clingmans Dome, Grandfather Mountain, Mount Mitchell, Waterrock **** and Graveyard fields (the first location on the Parkway to turn) and higher elevations of The Blue Ridge Parkway (between Asheville and Cherokee) and Great Smoky Mountains National Park

October 10 - 20

Peak time for elevations from 4,000 - 5,000 feet. This would include almost all Blue Ridge Parkway locations and the majority of the Great Smoky Mountains National Park as well. Included in this elevation are the Boone and Blowing Rock areas.

October 18 - 26

Peak time for lower elevations, from 3,000 - 4,000 feet. This would include places like: Pisgah National Forest which includes Sliding Rock and Looking Glass Falls, Dill Falls, Wildcat Falls, and many other waterfalls. Other ares include Linville Gorge, Nantahala Gorge, Maggie Valley, and Cataloochee Valley.

October 24 - 31

Peak time for elevations from 2,000 feet - 3,000 feet. This would include: The cities of Asheville, Brevard, Waynesville, Cherokee, and many others. Places of interest include Dupont State Forest and Biltmore Estate, and Cades Cove.

October 26 - November 8

Peak time for remaining elevations, including Gatlinburg, TN, Chimney Rock NC, Lake Lure and remaining lower elevation mountains. This includes Chimney Rock as well, a great place to see Fall color.

Please note, these timeframes are estimates based on prior years and current weather and soil conditions. Actual peak times may vary some from this forecast.

The following 3 users liked this post by Cosmic Razorback:
bentryder (07-08-2021), CanadianRocky (07-08-2021), Rob Harper (07-08-2021)
Old 07-08-2021 | 12:49 PM
CanadianRocky
Club Member
Received 21,836 Likes on 9,590 Posts

the basic plan is to drive across the Great plains, into the Eastern states and Provinces for the first three weeks or so of Sept (big mile days)... then spend a month on the east coast, looking at leaves, visiting friends, your in that list, and I am sure by then I will need a nice big juicy steak... ..., and popping across state lines to fill them in...somewhere in later October head west, and cross more states off of the list (shooting to cross all 48 lower ones off the list, and the rest of the provinces)... also on the list is to hit the four corners, possibly the Geographic centre... and get home in early November... I am thinking a 10 week rounder & about 15,000 miles.. so about 300 miles for 50 riding days... and lots of days off, to poke around and see the sites... similar to my Great Alaska Ride of '017... except I will not be bringing along camping gear, and probably will be bringing my Klim Riding gear... I am turning 70 next spring, so its best I get this crossed off of the Bucket List sooner than later.

Cosmic Razorback (07-08-2021)
Old 07-08-2021 | 01:17 PM
Rob Harper
Road Warrior
Received 2,523 Likes on 804 Posts

We just made reservations at the Swannanoa KOA (Asheville) for Oct 22-24. Hope the predictions are correct.

The following 2 users liked this post by Rob Harper:
CanadianRocky (07-08-2021), Cosmic Razorback (07-08-2021)
Old 07-08-2021 | 01:23 PM
Cosmic Razorback
|
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Rob Harper
We just made reservations at the Swannanoa KOA (Asheville) for Oct 22-24. Hope the predictions are correct.
I'm guaranteeing it, almost, maybe!

The following 2 users liked this post by Cosmic Razorback:
CanadianRocky (07-08-2021), Stiggy (07-08-2021)
Old 07-08-2021 | 06:53 PM
bentryder
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,488 Likes on 2,217 Posts

We did 2 rides to Maggie Valley and the BRP last year....The first ride was the end of September and almost no color except for the highest elevations....We went back again mid October and it was a little better.....Maggie (3000') was not peak then but the yellows were out.....The higher elevations, above 5000', were at peak....

It is difficult to pin down "peak" color at a certain elevation to a particular point in time......It would be safe to say that from the middle of October to the end of the month its probably peak somewhere on the southern third of the Parkway......Or on 441 crossing thru the Great Smoky mountains national park......

CanadianRocky (07-08-2021)
Old 07-08-2021 | 07:03 PM
bentryder
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,488 Likes on 2,217 Posts

Maggie Valley, 3000', October 14th......from hotel parking lot.....

Cosmic Razorback (07-11-2021)
Old 07-10-2021 | 09:45 PM
LQQK_OUT
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,658 Likes on 1,130 Posts

Originally Posted by Cosmic Razorback
For breakfast, lunch and dinner add Doughton Park (mile marker 238 to 241) to your list. The resturant opened back up last year and it is good. Located between 18 and 21. We need to support them to keep them in business. If you go back five or six pages in this thread you'll see pictures of our overnight on the BRP and breakfast there.
Ride safe
I'm guessing you are referring to "The Bluffs". I'll add it as a waypoint on my GPS. Thanks! Always appreciate recommendations.
Likewise, I'll pass along a couple of recommendations for people in the area:
Ferguson, NC: Stop at the Saddlebrook Restaurant at the Leatherwood Mountains property for breakfast! Check the hours of the restaurant before traveling there. Impressive resort property.
Catawba, NC: Waterside Bar and Grill. I just happen to pass this place, but it looks like a cool place to stop for a bite to eat or a drink. Lots of bikes outside. I'll be back to check it out.

StoneTrekker (07-11-2021)
Old 07-11-2021 | 09:15 AM
Cosmic Razorback
|
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by LQQK_OUT
I'm guessing you are referring to "The Bluffs". I'll add it as a waypoint on my GPS. Thanks! Always appreciate recommendations.
Likewise, I'll pass along a couple of recommendations for people in the area:
Ferguson, NC: Stop at the Saddlebrook Restaurant at the Leatherwood Mountains property for breakfast! Check the hours of the restaurant before traveling there. Impressive resort property.
Catawba, NC: Waterside Bar and Grill. I just happen to pass this place, but it looks like a cool place to stop for a bite to eat or a drink. Lots of bikes outside. I'll be back to check it out.

Thank you, I forgot the name! The Bluffs at Doughton’ Park right on the BRP.

https://www.bluffsrestaurant.org/

I’ll have to check out your other recommendations.

Quick Reply: The Open Road - Adventures of Cosmic Razorback