Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

The Open Road - Adventures of Cosmic Razorback

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2021 | 05:36 AM
StoneTrekker
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,980 Likes on 955 Posts

Paint Bank General Store is one of the neatest stops in the middle of nowhere. I remember when almost nobody traveled that road.

As for the BRP, the only two things not to like about it might be the traffic (when busy) and the weather (when it decides to be negative). Last year we rode a stretch in early October...just before the anticipated mega-crowds of leaf peepers arrive. We hit it almost perfect, with cool temps, pretty colors and fewer people. Biking up and into Craggy Gardens was almost spiritual. Yes, it was that fine. The BRP is a national treasure which must be experienced.

The following 3 users liked this post by StoneTrekker:
Cosmic Razorback (07-06-2021), Old Sport (07-06-2021), Stiggy (07-06-2021)
Old 07-06-2021 | 02:36 PM
Cosmic Razorback
|
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 18,279 Likes on 7,400 Posts

A few pictures from Monday's ride pulled from the GoPro. Hitting I-40 East bound and rolling through Winston-Salem, NC at about 7:20am on a Monday. Very light traffic with the holiday. It was a cool 68 degrees out.

Old 07-06-2021 | 02:41 PM
Cosmic Razorback
|
Seasoned HDF Member

Leaving North Carolina and entering Virginia on Hwy 220. Always a beautiful ride. Met the guys at the Sheetz station.

Old 07-06-2021 | 02:45 PM
Cosmic Razorback
|
Seasoned HDF Member

Off on the ride to West "By God" Virginia.

Old 07-06-2021 | 02:48 PM
Cosmic Razorback
|
Seasoned HDF Member

Where I am from we call these "Culvert's". In West Virginia they are tunnels! LOL

Old 07-06-2021 | 02:51 PM
Cosmic Razorback
|
Seasoned HDF Member

We ran into a dead end! ROAD CLOSED. The pig trail we had to ride for about three miles looked like a one lane paved drive way to no where. Yes we hear banjo music!

Old 07-06-2021 | 02:55 PM
Cosmic Razorback
|
Seasoned HDF Member

Another one of those interesting tunnels:

The following users liked this post:
Rob Harper (07-07-2021)
Old 07-08-2021 | 09:17 AM
LQQK_OUT
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,658 Likes on 1,130 Posts

Originally Posted by Cosmic Razorback
We arrived at Freeborne's, enjoyed dinner and walked next door to Wild Woodys. It was rocking!
I was camping out at the Riders Roost the past few days. Rode by Freeborne's on Saturday morning to get some breakfast. Didn't realize that they don't open till 11:00am, so no food for me. It did look like the Wild Woody's campground was rocking. I added it on my places to camp list.
On my ride up 18 to Freeborne's a yuge black bear popped out onto the road, and maybe I cut him off, but all of a sudden he started chasing me while I'm riding!!!! I think that guy was running at 30 mph before I sped up and out-powered him. There was another motorcycle and a car behind me that saw the whole thing. Up in NJ I've seen a number of black bears, but never anything this close.

Last edited by LQQK_OUT; 07-08-2021 at 09:20 AM.
Cosmic Razorback (07-08-2021)
Old 07-08-2021 | 09:44 AM
Cosmic Razorback
|
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by LQQK_OUT
I was camping out at the Riders Roost the past few days. Rode by Freeborne's on Saturday morning to get some breakfast. Didn't realize that they don't open till 11:00am, so no food for me. It did look like the Wild Woody's campground was rocking. I added it on my places to camp list.
On my ride up 18 to Freeborne's a yuge black bear popped out onto the road, and maybe I cut him off, but all of a sudden he started chasing me while I'm riding!!!! I think that guy was running at 30 mph before I sped up and out-powered him. There was another motorcycle and a car behind me that saw the whole thing. Up in NJ I've seen a number of black bears, but never anything this close.
WOW, just wow on the black bear. We have yet to see one in that area but get lots of reports like yours. We run up and down 18 all the time.

For breakfast, lunch and dinner add Doughton Park (mile marker 238 to 241) to your list. The resturant opened back up last year and it is good. Located between 18 and 21. We need to support them to keep them in business. If you go back five or six pages in this thread you'll see pictures of our overnight on the BRP and breakfast there.

Ride safe

LQQK_OUT (07-08-2021)
Old 07-08-2021 | 10:15 AM
Cosmic Razorback
|
Seasoned HDF Member

Wednesday July 7, 2021

Sometimes we do not need to ride far from home for some cool things and awesome history. As many of you know I live just west of the twin cities that tobacco built, Winston-Salem, NC in beautiful rural Davie County. Davie was one of the last three counties to be dry in the heart of the Bible Belt. It's a beautiful place that is growing very rapidly.

Davie County was formed from this portion of land in 1836. The county was named Davie in honor of William R. Davie, a Revolutionary War Leader, governor of North Carolina, minister to France and a leader in the founding of the University of North Carolina. We live in the William R. Davie community and my wife went to grade school at the school named for him.

Bermuda Run on the east end of Davie County was once listed as the
wealthiest community in the state with members like Bing and Kathyrn Crosby. On the other end Cooleemee was one of the poorest being dotted with mill homes from the old Burlington textile mill.

Yesterday evening I rode to two well known cemeteries and would like to share the following history with everyone.

Yes Daniel Boone did spend time in Davie County before moving on. I drive past this sign every day.

They did an excellent job of preserving the old original head stones.

It's cool that Squire and Sarah spent time in this area, were laid to rest here and their son Daniel walked the area before moving on.

The following 2 users liked this post by Cosmic Razorback:
BuzzCap7 (07-17-2021), StoneTrekker (07-08-2021)

Quick Reply: The Open Road - Adventures of Cosmic Razorback