Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

The Open Road - Adventures of Cosmic Razorback

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2021 | 07:40 AM
Cosmic Razorback
|
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 18,279 Likes on 7,400 Posts

Monday July 5th

8:30am

Already in Henry County Virginia with 68 miles on the clock. Looks to be a beautiful day but warmer than the last two.

Meeting up with a group of guys that invited me to ride with them for the first time. New friends heading to New destinations I have not seen before.

Should be fun. Stay tuned.

Old 07-05-2021 | 08:16 AM
blue flht
Road Captain
Received 181 Likes on 104 Posts

If you get a chance ride up to Peaks of Otter on the parkway and stay the night, nice place.

The following users liked this post:
Cosmic Razorback (07-05-2021)
Old 07-05-2021 | 12:08 PM
StoneTrekker
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,980 Likes on 955 Posts

Reading this avidly. Superb pictures....wish I was somewhere on the BRP about now!

Cosmic Razorback (07-05-2021)
Old 07-05-2021 | 07:08 PM
Cosmic Razorback
|
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by blue flht
If you get a chance ride up to Peaks of Otter on the parkway and stay the night, nice place.
Thank you sir. That is a new one to me. Just checked it out and looks nice. I'll add it to the list.

Originally Posted by Dillbilly Bone
Reading this avidly. Superb pictures....wish I was somewhere on the BRP about now!
There is never a bad time on the BRP.

Old 07-05-2021 | 07:15 PM
CanadianRocky
Club Member
Received 21,836 Likes on 9,590 Posts

Originally Posted by Cosmic Razorback
Thank you sir. That is a new one to me. Just checked it out and looks nice. I'll add it to the list.

There is never a bad time on the BRP.
Mark… A question about the BRP… When you’re on the road are you mostly looking at trees, or are you high enough so that you can actually see into the valleys? The place is definitely on my bucket list, but it will be a few years before I get there… What I want to do is start up in Quebec and chase the changing colours in the fall All the way to Florida.

Old 07-05-2021 | 08:01 PM
Cosmic Razorback
|
Seasoned HDF Member

Monday July 5, 2021

418.4 Miles
North Carolina, Virginia and West Virginia

Rise and shine at 0600. Rolled out of my non-disclosed bunker at 0700 heading north east to Ridgeway, Viriginia. It is a 72 mile, hour and fifteen minute ride. Traffic is very light and the temperature is 68 degrees and rising. I rolled through the twin cities that tobacco built and leaned left onto Hwy 158, then 68 onto 220 heading into Virginia. I arrived, topped the tank off and grabbed the breakfast of champions at Sheetz. About that time the guys came rolling in from Greensboro. At 0900 we are heading north with Paint Blank, Va being our first stop. This is new territory for me and being able to set back and follow without planning a ride is refreshing. These guys are serious and prepared to ride.

The roads were fantastic and the weather was comfortable. We stopped for a drink and break at the Swinging Bridge Cafe and grabbed some pictures. The general store, restaurant and the lodge across the road are all very nice. I look forward to taking the Carolina Girl up there soon.

Our next stop was in White Sulfer Springs, WV for lunch at the "Road Hog's BBQ". This place is excellent. We had a cool table out back under the shade of a tree. The BBQ is very good ad the "Cowbot Beans" are to die for. With a full belly we drove by Green Brier Inn. We did not have time to stop but that is a beautiful place. From the 1950's until late 80's it was a secret shelter for the goverment leaders from DC in the event of a nuclear fall out. A lot of interesting history.

We all rode to Floyd, VA together and I parted ways as I live over an hour from them in the opposite direction. I ran Hwy 221 over to I-77 and rolled back home. Got in around 6:30pm with a 418 mile ride. Touched based with the other guys and everyone arrived back home safely. Thank you Lord!

StoneTrekker (07-06-2021)
Old 07-05-2021 | 08:05 PM
Cosmic Razorback
|
Seasoned HDF Member

Lodge across the street from the Swinging Bridge Cafe.

Old 07-05-2021 | 08:08 PM
Cosmic Razorback
|
Seasoned HDF Member

Lunch time:

Road Hog's BBQ in White Sulfer Springs, WV

The BBQ is very good. The Cowboy beans are AWESOME!

bentryder (07-05-2021)
Old 07-05-2021 | 08:15 PM
Cosmic Razorback
|
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by CanadianRocky
Mark… A question about the BRP… When you’re on the road are you mostly looking at trees, or are you high enough so that you can actually see into the valleys? The place is definitely on my bucket list, but it will be a few years before I get there… What I want to do is start up in Quebec and chase the changing colours in the fall All the way to Florida.

That would be a great trip Rocky. The BRP gives you some of everything. Yes there are sections that are just tree lined. They are refreshingly cool on warm days. There are elevations from 2000 feet, to 6300 feet on the road to over 7000 feet at Mt Mitchell (highest point in US East of the Mississippi). There are hundreds of lookout stops along the route and yes you can see for miles in many section and down in the valleys. Then there is Craggy Gardens which is like being on another planet. It changes all along the route and it's never boring, something for everyone. My favorite thing s to ride through the clouds and pop out on top looking down at them in the valleys.

The following 2 users liked this post by Cosmic Razorback:
CanadianRocky (07-05-2021), StoneTrekker (07-06-2021)
Old 07-05-2021 | 10:02 PM
bentryder
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,488 Likes on 2,217 Posts

Originally Posted by CanadianRocky
As Cosmic said, a bit of everything......Most of the best views, and the highest elevations, are towards the southern section from about Asheville on to the end, headed south......

But sometimes you cant see anything......lol....

The following 2 users liked this post by bentryder:
CanadianRocky (07-05-2021), Cosmic Razorback (07-06-2021)

Quick Reply: The Open Road - Adventures of Cosmic Razorback